And We Were Worried About Dumping 100 Gallons Of Cleaning Waste!!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
This guy is going to jail for a long time!

More than 250,000 gallons of waste was dumped
YOUNGSTOWN
Ben W. Lupo, the owner of D&L Energy and Hardrock Excavating, admitted he ordered employees to dump drilling waste into a city storm drain at least five times prior to being caught Jan. 31, an Ohio Environmental Protection Agency official said.
Each time, starting in September 2012, Lupo had workers empty two 21,000-gallon tanks of brine material and oil-based mud, Kurt Kollar, on-scene coordinator for the OEPA’s Division of Emergency and Remedial Response, said Monday.
In total, that is 252,000 gallons of waste dumped.
“That’s what he’s indicating,” Kollar said about what Lupo told him on Feb. 1 or 2.
Kollar made the first public statements, during a Monday meeting with city officials and the media, about a pattern of dumping by Lupo. The meeting was called at the request of Mayor Charles Sammarone.
The revelation was made public more than a week after an anonymous tip led state investigators to discover the Jan. 31 dumping.
The OEPA’s special investigation unit is reviewing the entire matter as a “potential criminal case,” Kollar said.
The U.S. EPA’s criminal investigation division is also on site at the D&L/Hardrock location on Salt Springs Road, investigating Hardrock and Lupo.
Sammarone is calling for Lupo to be prosecuted, and said the city could file criminal charges.
The clean-up, which could take another week or two, shows evidence of previous dumping, Kollar said.
“As [Lupo] put it, ‘I did it at night because I was doing the right thing. I didn’t want someone thinking I was doing the wrong thing and create an uproar,’” Kollar said.
But Lupo was improperly dumping brine, drilling waste and oil-based mud into the storm sewer, Kollar said.
The materials dumped don’t pose “an imminent threat,” but Kollar said, “You don’t want it in your creek.”
If you look at the water in the creek it appears to be “crystal clean. If you stick your boot or throw a rock down in the sediment, a big pocket of oil comes up,” he said.
The early results of an ongoing criminal investigation had shown Lupo directed employees to dump a mix of oil and brine water down a storm drain at Hardrock’s headquarters at 2761 Salt Springs Road on Jan. 31.
It wasn’t until Kollar’s statements Monday that it was revealed Lupo admitted he had done it at least five other times and had told state officials about it a day or two after the Jan. 31 incident.
Asked if he could confirm that Lupo had admitted to dumping similar drilling wastes on at least six previous occasions at D&L headquarters, company spokesman Vince Bevacqua said it was the first he’s heard of Lupo’s discussion with regulators. He could not comment further on Monday.
“Thank goodness this is not an everyday occurrence,” said Kollar, who added dumping like this is “uncommon.”
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources gave D&L 45 days to get all of the drilling waste material off of its Salt Springs Road site, and the company is working nonstop to comply, Kollar said.
The ODNR announced last Thursday it has permanently revoked the operating permits of D&L and Hardrock, but not the other companies — as many as 20 — that are owned by Lupo at that same address.
Lupo was given 24 hours to request an informal hearing to present evidence against the revocation with the chief of ODNR’s Division of Oil and Gas Resources Management, Richard Simmers. The agency confirmed Friday that Lupo had made the request.
Kollar said ODNR has “issued basically a cease-and-desist order” to Lupo.
Sammarone criticized the state for permitting D&L, which has at least 120 violations at 32 injection and extraction wells in Ohio and Pennsylvania, to conduct business.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya he shouldn't dump there but where should he? and now he's hosed how many outta work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
There are specific systems available to separate oil and water, as well as specific systems to handle other drilling waste waters such as fracking wastes. You can purchase, lease, or source the service.

It's just a matter of whether the owners want to pocket the money or do the right thing.

None of the above are cheap - and why many just dump.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ya he shouldn't dump there but where should he? and now he's hosed how many outta work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are specific systems available to separate oil and water, as well as specific systems to handle other drilling waste waters such as fracking wastes. You can purchase, lease, or source the service.

It's just a matter of whether the owners want to pocket the money or do the right thing.

None of the above are cheap - and why many just dump.

My guess is he got paid for correct disposal.

This guy's business, and he had a lot of businesses in the gas frack brine waste disposal, was to collect and store fracking brine waste. He had huge storage tanks on site. His main buisiness was to drill about 4000+ feet into the ground and legally inject this waste into these wells. His main injection well was about a mile away, and it was causing earthquakes in the Youngstown/NE Ohio area. I felt a few of them. The quakes stopped after he quit injecting into his local well. He instructed his employees to just dump into the storm drains at night so no one would see. He actually admitted to this. He was charged today, but posted bail immeadiatly. If he doesn't flee the country, he will be spending some time in prison, along with hefty fines. All his businesses have been shut down indefinatly. I'm on high alert when cleaning now......I don't need some nosey camera weilding nut job to try to nail me with improper disposal. I use the pump out to a sanitary drain.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Most of the waste was brine water, but it also had a % of oil and of unspecified (proprietary) chems in the mix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom