Anionic and Cationic Cleaning and Deodorizing Agents

M

Mark Imbesi

I've searched many of the products I use regularly; both their labels and MSDS. How can you tell what is what? Is this something this industry should push for on all labels?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Marc;

Any formulator should be able to answer your question.

Cationics, in general, are specifically discourged by the carpet manufacturers.

Larry

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You can generally find the info on the msds or in the product descriptions.

M

Mark Imbesi

Larry, I don't want to have to call every manufacturer for this info.

Jimmy, not one bit of info on this subject on the labels and MSDS that are in my arsenal.

This is why I am calling for an industry wide labelling campaign to address this issue. I shouldnt have to do anything but read a label to know if one thing will be compatable with another.

M

Mark Imbesi

I find it hard to believe this thread died and no one cares about this new topic. Everyone must be busy "Questioning Marty"?

Farenheit251

Marc, I don't think you will find a cationic prespray from a legit manufacturer. Most disinfectants and some deodorizers that add quat to control odor will be cationic.

Jose Smith

You are looking for the polarities in surfactants. Most cationic surfactants will be in deodorizers. Quaternary Ammoniom Chloride is a common type of cationic deodorizer known more simply as a "quat". Biocides, fungicides, anti-stat treatments and fabric softeners are all cationic. You will not usually find cationic surfactants in cleaners. These are usually anionic, nonionic or both.

These are not ingredients so they are not listed on containers (usually). They are not important to OSHA so they will not be on an MSDS. However, some containers will give you hints.

For example;

Prochem's Flourisil Odor Neutralizer states that it is safe for Stain Resistant Carpet. If it were cationic, it would not be safe and would void warranties.

Jose Smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom