Any & All input/suggestion welcome

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I know this is posted in the wrong forum but I wanted as many suggestions as possible hopefully the moderator will wait a couple of days before moving to proper home!

I'm kinda new to WRD and I wanted to pick your brain and get some help and advice from you guys. I have been in cc business since 2006 (Minus a year I was out after the wreck). We have had decent growth every year and last year hit our goal of doing 10k per month in restaurant cleaning (we like having checks in the mail in winter!) however I very much consider myself a BDCC. We do small water extraction jobs, and very small dry outs with fans and one small dehu and a couple of water claws. I want to expand this side of our business and have included this service in a new church brochure that we had designed and printed. So what I have is IICRC WRT certification (last summer) some small extraction experience, and a new tech that hAs over 100 WDR jobs under his belt. As most of you already know the weird and insane hours don't bother me.

I wanted to wait until I had some good cleaning experience under our belts before we grew in this area and quite frankly I've been scared off somewhat. What I want/ plan on doing is just marketing this to my existing client base of 600+ with tags for water shut off valves and a magnet for hot water heaters and in the brochures that we are mailing out. What I want to do is start out small and grow gradually. I have read most of the water restoration material here. My plan is to purchase a couple of Phoenix DEHUs and about 5 more fans to get started. I have gotten some great help already from some on the boards that has helped tremendously, however I am searching for any and all suggestions from others that are newer into this as to what issues you may have ran into early on and what to expect when dealing with insurance adjusters since I won't be on any preferred lists.
I have been in contact with my insurance agent and they are in process of getting me restoration specific coverage quotes and still have to make up many forms in preparation but thanks to those who have sent me some good stuff already. I also need to dig back into my SFS manual (thought I would save you the time of posting ST)

Last edited:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Michael you' e been a big encouragement already and I'm sure (know) that I will ring your phone off the hook when the time is near !

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I am searching for any and all suggestions from others that are newer into this as to what issues you may have ran into early on and what to expect when dealing with insurance adjusters since I won't be on any preferred lists... I also need to dig back into my SFS manual (thought I would save you the time of posting ST)
Congratulations on your expansion plans, Billy. This may put you in the sweet spot- regular cash flow from your commercial accounts that will hold you over between the high-profit W/D losses. (this was my basic business model and it served me well.)

OK, Billy, you want ideas. One key is to "partner" with adjusters. They have a huge need for timely information that makes them look good and keeps the Insured AND their bosses of their neck. (The life of an adjuster is not an easy one!) This one is not in your SFS manual!

Set up online, password-protected "Shared Folders" that let you become a resource to your adjuster(s). HERE is all the info on how to do it.

Steve

PS Two more points. Set up "Strategic Partnerships" with larger restoration firms that can help you on losses that are bigger than you can handle. Then don't be afraid to bail out.

And never believe an adjuster when he says he can't use you because you are not part of their preferred network. You just haven't proved to him yet how much easier his life will be with you and your Value Added service crew on his losses. So just explain you'll do the losses that his regular provider can't get to or doesn't want. Over time he will come around as he realizes, "Wow, I never have problems with Billy's losses. Hmmmm..." BINGO!

Reactions: BLewis

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Sounds like your on track. To be small and expand I believe you would be good to start with around 12-14 fans, 3 dehus, moisture meters penetrating and non and temp/rh. I have a Protimeter MMS+ which does it all and works great. You should also pick up a neg air as well, get some zip walls for containment. Other than that you'll want all the typical small hand tools, masking tapes, duct tapes, plastic. That should be a good start for the tool world. Now you'll need some paperwork. This is where you get a few guys to send you there's and if you like it go with it, if not modify it to your taste. I will send you mine if you would like just shoot me a PM. Now the proble that I find is its hard to juggle carpet cleaning and flood work without a couple trucks minimum and the mam owner to make it happen. When that flood call comes in you gotta be able to go right away. Good luck and here to help if I can.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Wow, 126 views and only 3 comments. Is it really that secretive? Or am I just not worth it! Lol

Name
Bruce
Wow, 126 views and only 3 comments. Is it really that secretive? Or am I just not worth it! Lol
It's not you, I'm sure you are a head of the game more then 75% of the guys on this board. We will need to start getting advice from you. I'm sure there are only a few big hitters on here that will be able to help you over that next bump

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Psst stay away from the adjusters! :icon_twisted:

Adjusters adjust, it's an inherent characteristic of the job. Doubtful you'll have many as friends. O

We have some that are very friendly but there are less and less.

It's by design, many companies have appraisers now, eyes and ears in the field but pretty much hands off when it comes to adjusting. The adjusting comes from a phone adjuster who is cold and impartial, he's not your friend, won't be your friend, he only cares about settling the claim and closing the file.

If I were targeting insurance companies I'd go after the agents, sure everyone does but few do so consistently. They have far more at risk than an adjuster does. They need to make sure all comes out well so their insured renews. If something goes wrong they risk losing business, if you can you get their ear let them know how sincere you are. How you not just in it for the money but you truly care about helping put their insureds lives back together

Not being on the list? You don't want to be on that list!

They fit your head with handles when you make the list. You lose all control, they call the game from how they see it, which isn't always what it should be. They don't pay for a lot of time yet it's expected to be given as a preferred vendor. As a contractor that does the rebuild (we do not) some companies have a deal made with Home Depot for materials. The contractor must go pickup the materials on their dime and are allowed no markup. :eekk:

They can/will send you out to look at and evaluate and estimate that you will not be compensated for. There are also many rules as to what you can and can't do with their insured about non payment, they can also hold up your check until the entire claim is paid, not just when you are done. While there is the benefit of direct spoon fed work, it comes at a price....a heavy one!

We've done thousands of claims where we were not on anyone's list, it won't matter list or no list. Work your data base, let them know you are able to take care of them in their time of need and you should do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
If I were targeting insurance companies I'd go after the agents, sure everyone does but few do so consistently. They have far more at risk than an adjuster does. They need to make sure all comes out well so their insured renews. If something goes wrong they risk losing business, if you can you get their ear let them know how sincere you are. How you not just in it for the money but you truly care about helping put their insureds lives back together ...
We've done thousands of claims where we were not on anyone's list, it won't matter list or no list. Work your data base, let them know you are able to take care of them in their time of need and you should do fine.
This is painful for me to say BUT...

I agree with Richard 100%.

Wanna break in? Go after the agents. They are who the Insured contacts first and they can refer you. sure, on a large loss the appraiser/adjuster make eventually kick you off in favor of their own PSP company. No worries, gracefully fade away.

Steve

PS Remember, if you got your work authorization signed up front you will get your emergency mitigation and drying equipment rental and frankly that is where most of your profit is any way. Let the big franchise deal with all the headaches of the reconstruction/restoration phase.

Name
Bruce
Richard does your company market to the fire stations? A WDR Marketing gal I chat with is always talking about going to the fire stations and how many referrals they get from those stations.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Richard/Steve,

Great point on going after agents, of course I have my own and then a BNI agent as well, I will work on him when I'm finished getting ready. I think 2 will be plenty for starters. I do know how to beat the bush when the time comes, when landing some of our restuarant accounts I had some that I visited regularly for about 1-2 years before I got them. We had a WDR company visit our BNI group the other day and this is the first time I caugt myself thinking now I really don't want him in our group (and I am on the membership committiee!) But, I ask him several questions and found out he purchased a franchise about 3 months ago and didn't seem to know alot about the business yet. I have done some small jobs for people in my group and they know that I am gearing up to move to the next step, but I do not hold the WDR seat and it may be advantageous to have him in our group and then I can pick his brains and have someone to refer my bigger jobs to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom