Anybody got a better dump valve than these pos pvc ones?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, it's cold here.

Every job lately, go to dump tank and the stupid valve is froze. End up breaking off the wing from trying to open it.

Anyone use a metal dump valve? At least if it's metal I can be a little more forceful. Not sure it would help.

Ron K

If your talking about the handle, I've taken an old Screw driver handle, pulled the blade out then drilled and tapped the Screw driver handle made a replacement it lasted longer then my Truck mount in the end. Much beefier and better quality plastic.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Anyone use a metal dump valve? .

yep
Go to your local plumbing contractor supplier and buy a full port brass ball valve .
won't be cheap, but will be virtually forever (assuming you're not letting lint/fiber in the tank)
cause the valve closing on staple fibers will eventually degrade the nylon (?) ball seals

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yep, what Larry said but I found one at Lowe's

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
You should get somebodys gramma to knit you a mini afgahn to hang over the valve .. you could even stuff it with insulation .. sucks freezing up !!

Reactions: GCCLee

West

Name
Clint
I also use a banjo valve, you can also get similar valve (different brand) at Tractors Supply

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Someone makes a truckmount that use a plastic ball valve for the tank outlet? Seems like an odd place to try and save $50.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Metal freezes too. The on call crew had to come in and switch trucks last week. The metal valve froze shut and they couldn't finish up with that truck.

We have a truck out now and its 5-degrees, hope it doesn't happen again tonight.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Metal freezes too. The on call crew had to come in and switch trucks last week. The metal valve froze shut and they couldn't finish up with that truck.

We have a truck out now and its 5-degrees, hope it doesn't happen again tonight.

The sliding gate valves have less plastic surface for the water to freeze on.

That makes them easier to open.

Larry

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Could be but Jerry is up there where it gets really cold. We don't get as cold as he does and we've had trouble with the all. Gate valve you can use a hammer on when frozen but even then that doesn't always work.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Screwed either way(pvc or metal).... Lol!

You would think with warm waste water it wouldn't freeze in a couple hours, but it does. Must cool off a lot in the vac hose and just sitting in the waste tank.

I'm going to get one of those "fancy" metal ones. At least then when it's froze and I'm pissed I can hit it with something!

The on call crew had to come in and switch trucks last week. The metal valve froze shut and they couldn't finish up with that truck.

Not much ya can do but laugh and say wtf......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It added an non billable hour to the job and at 4:00 AM switching trucks wasn't what they wanted to do but still had another hour of extraction left. As you said nothing you can do, it was just too cold.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If you have a metal valve, couldn't you warm it up with a propane torch? Not hot enough to wreck the seals, just warm enough to melt the ice. I've done that before, not on a TM waste valve though.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably, but I don't think I'd let my tech's have a torch. We will try that here next time we get one frozen and see how that does. Thanks

Last time we just cut the pvc where the valve came was connected, put on a new pvc pipe and new valve in a matter of minutes.

I think do think we're done with running the dump through the floor. They seem to freeze more often than when the dump valve is right on the machine.

Could be the heat from the unit keeps it warmer???

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The other option is to loosen the bolts holding the gate valve together.

Then slide the gate up and down and retighten the four bolts.

It should be mounted directly on the recovery tank.

A TM has hot water also, if needed. :icon_rolleyes:

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The other option is to loosen the bolts holding the gate valve together.

Then slide the gate up and down and retighten the four bolts.

It should be mounted directly on the recovery tank.

A TM has hot water also, if needed. :icon_rolleyes:

Larry
Once its back here the hot water could be an option. On location it would just make and ice slick. :neutral:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Ok, here's a thought. Run your solution line such that it runs past the dump valve and lays against it. Wrap the line and valve up together with a spotting towel, and clean normally. Might be enough heat transfer to keep the valve from freezing. Dumb idea?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jcooper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom