Anyone keep a power-stretcher on the truck?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I dig mine out of the garage maybe twice a year, but would use it more if I kept it on the truck. I don't know if it would be worth hauling those two heavy, bulky cases around all the time.

I remember a guy posting a few years ago that he used his alot but don't see much mention of it lately.

Anyone do it? Is it worthwhile? What do you charge for stretch, seams, etc.?

Much obliged.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Re: Charge For Power-Stretching?

i use mine quite a bit, it's one case...a must for anyone seriously doing carpet repair...i charge between $125 -150 an hour plus materials on residential......

TimP

Re: Charge For Power-Stretching?

My opinion is that it's not worth while. There is too much that you will end up doing to fix the root of the problem to make it worth it.

Carpet buckles (not when cleaning is concerned) when the carpet lets lose from the tack strip. The solution is to add more nails to the strip and secure it down better. You determine where you need more nails by pulling on the strip. If the strip moves with moderate pressure from your hands then it's not secure at that point. This pretty well only happens on concrete sub floors. Securing the strip is the most challenging and time consuming part and installers skimp out here. Then if you have a regular stretcher with tubes you have to move furniture. The total for doing the job right can often times exceed $500 plus to do 2-3 rooms if you're trying to make 70-80 an hour. I find that it's easier to just have them call a carpet installer and not deal with it. I don't enjoy the work and the customer rarely will appreciate why you charge more than what they paid to have the carpet put in originally.

Now if you have nothing to do and want to make a few bucks, or don't mind hacking things out. Then by all means go after the work. But it's definitely not for me.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Mine is on the truck all the time. I let too much money get away stepping over repairs. If I am there to clean the carpet, I start at $50 for a simple stretch to a wall. If I have to cut a seam in a doorway the price goes up.
I have started getting calls for repairs and then get asked if I know anyone that cleans carpet.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
TimP said:
I find that it's easier to just have them call a carpet installer and not deal with it.
Good luck finding an installer that will do it. In the mean the time your customer is left unsatisfied. I carry all my repair tools except the stretcher. My Behr Claw and kicker help with the small ones, otherwise I schedual to return with the stretcher. This gives them time to move neccesary furniture as well.

TimP

Shane T said:
TimP said:
I find that it's easier to just have them call a carpet installer and not deal with it.
Good luck finding an installer that will do it. In the mean the time your customer is left unsatisfied. I carry all my repair tools except the stretcher. My Behr Claw and kicker help with the small ones, otherwise I schedual to return with the stretcher. This gives them time to move neccesary furniture as well.

I've got one if they ask!

John Watson

I purposly raised my elec. vac hose reel so my crab(Ministretcher) seaming box, knee kicker, and carpet repair tool box fit in an area that used to be wasted space. My reel is about 1/2 in from the van roof. All mentioned tools fit under the reel plus a few other items. My Behr Claw is secured to the side of my 120 gal fresh water tank. We always carry a few strips of tackless and asorted pieces and colors of clamp down and flat bar.

I, myself have had 2 jobs which I couldn't complete without having to go pick up my poles for the power head. I also have my seam stretcher stored next to the power stretcher case. .

We take pride in having a full tool box so we can do (for a profit) what ever the homeowner needs. Yes, sometimes we need to remind them they need the service. I believe it is called coustomer service.

Now, all that said, I haven't had these tools out of the truck in the past month and a half. I am slowing down, and my body hurts to much after a good work out tightening the carpets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom