Anyone rinsing with onlly soft water?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
My chemical injection was acting up yesterday on a rental. I didnt even realize I had rinsed with only softwater until I was done. Actualy looked really nice and could tell no differance. I get really good heat with my machine and wonder if I went to soft water only (except maybe restaurants or super naasties)if it would make any differance. Usualy when I run an emulsifier its only at about half the recomended dilution anyway. I also wonder what pre sprays rinse the best with soft water only. I heard grease eraser rinses well in fresh water. anyone using only soft water?

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i had my butler built with no chem pump on it..i only rinse with ro water.

i use cobbs powermax for carpet, tile and most uph..been that was for 6 years

and there is nothing i would change!!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Are there any beneits to using softwater only? I have really noticed a big differance since I installed a water softener. I did clean a resty with only freshwater and definately did not clean as well as the emulsifier. I hate to re open the age old residue debate but has anyone ever encountered a post residue problem with any particular products?

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
If you talk to the chemists they will say that the emulsifier has properties that reduce the size of the water and conditions it better. Whats the bald guy on ss chemicals? Anyways I asked him about it and he believed that an emulsifier rinses detergent out of carpet better than just water.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
idreadnought said:
If you talk to the chemists they will say that the emulsifier has properties that reduce the size of the water and conditions it better. Whats the bald guy on ss chemicals? Anyways I asked him about it and he believed that an emulsifier rinses detergent out of carpet better than just water.
But soft water I would think doesnt need a surfactant. If the rinse water is soft and already mineral free it doesnt need assistance from a surfactant.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
soft water is what I normally use too. unless there is a browning issue to deal with or sometimes a pet odor and or stain issue. if I spray ultrapak on my car to wash it, it immediately very very quickly seems to break up and wash away. a light mist will even do it. that tells me the stuff rinses really really well when I can actually see it do that.

L

LVCarpetCleaning

Carpet cleaning with soft water only can work most of the time, but for deep satins, or for getting rid of dust mites, you might need something extra.

lance

Using soft water cuts in half the amounts you need to use for the prespray, spotters, and rinse. The cleaning chemicals do not have to fight the minerals in the water as much so they work better. That is why you only need half of the regular amount.

What you need when you are rinsing is a solution that is attracted to the dirty prespray and able to pick it up easily. That is why Hardball Chem. has a rinse with it's prespray and probably why Judson has one to. They are not acid rinses, but rather neutral pH rinses that help you clean even better than regular water (especially hard water.)

RO water is very "hungry" because is as so little minerals inside of it. So it can grab almost anything that it touches and hold onto it while you are rinsing the carpet. The less minerals that are in the water the better. The RO water also leaves a very soft hand to the carpet which is a great selling point especially if your customer has children.

The only down side of RO water is that it usually takes about more water to make it than you get in the collection tank. This is because the system uses water to wash off the minerals that are stuck to the RO membrane. So it might take three gallons of water to make a total of one to one and a half gallons of usable RO water. The newer systems might be able to reduce the waste to just 30% of the total but you would have to measure that to be sure as it depends on the water hardness that you have.

If you used 200 gallons a day, five days a week, then your total RO would be 1000 gallons a week. Or 4000 gallons a month. But your gross water usage would be more like 1500 gallons a week and 6000 gallons a month. Plus you have to replace the RO system filters on a regular basis or your gross water usage would be even higher.

Since Dave Gill has two trucks and he makes a good amount of money on all his jobs he probably doesn't think about how much his water bill is. The RO system helps him get the jobs done better and a little faster than other cleaners so that is more important to him than the money he spends keeping the RO system up and running. His initial cost of the RO system has probably already paid for itself.

For most cleaners just using soft water with a rinse agent is going to make their job easier and you save money on every cleaner that you have to mix with water.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
good write up lance..

i use about 35k gallons of water a month making my ro water..i have the system running

24/7 and pumping into a large storage tank that i have plumbed to a transfer pump and just

fill the trucks up every morning..i have a tds meter built into the system so all i have to do is

check it and see when the filters are getting dirty and switch them out..about 38$ a month.

the reduced chem costs and lack of scale build up more than pays for the extra water bill..

dave

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I think the ro water might be overkill a bit. I may switch to a liquid emulsifier and try running it at 25% dilution. I installed a water softener on the van and an ekowater whole house system. I can tell the water is super soft because when I shower or wash my hands the watter has that super slick feeling. I have still been making my pre sprays at normal dilution, so I wonder now if I can go a bit lighter on them as well

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Unless the prespray is specifically designed to rinsed with plain water (which most are not), then plain water is a less effective than water with a rinse-aid surfactant, at a minimum.

It comes down to the fundamentals of surfactant chemistry. The better a surfactant dissolves oils, the more hydrophobic it is. That's not to say that it is insoluble in water, but less soluble than desired for using water as a sole means to rinse extract with. You can compensate for the less solubility by using more water. Not a problem if you are washing dishes at home. In that situation we practically flood the dish to remove all the "sticky" surfactant and "soil".

Carpet cleaning is a different story. In this situation, we'd like to minimize water, if for no other reason than to make the job go faster, with less rinse strokes. The other benefits are that you can use less water, which means less to extract, less to over-wet, less to have to dry. Ask yourself what you are now doing to compensate for your "chemical savings". I'll tell you. You are ramping up jet sizes, you are putting down way too much water, and then you have to use more vacuum strokes or a larger vacuum setup to compensate for all that water.

When figuring your overall chemical costs, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS take into account what that chemical is doing to your bottom line. If it provides for even a 10% decrease in labor expenditure, then you will find that you have a huge budget for chemical, or a modest one with more profit and less time/fatigue to complete the task."

C

clean image

Does the forever clean I bought ($400) years ago help in the same way

I ran out of slurry a few weeks back and immediately noticed a difference. I only mix 6-8 oz in my 5 gallon jug.

It helps for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom