Anyone thinking of adding a fuel surcharge?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Gas is $3.38 a gallon here and climbing. It cost me about $100.00 to fill up my vans.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
$ 3.69 here and climing, no surcharge here if we hit $4 I will raise my price a few cents.

I'm still trying to fugure out how the cleaners using nice truck mounted systems can clean three rooms any soil condition with absolutely no hidden charges for 75 dollars.

Live by the price die by the price.

I mean if you are closing the jobs is one thing, but if you are working for nothing, then why even bother.

I will not clean one room for 75 dollars let alone three.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
danielc said:
I'm still trying to fugure out how the cleaners using nice truck mounted systems can clean three rooms any soil condition with absolutely no hidden charges for 75 dollars.

Live by the price die by the price.

I mean if you are closing the jobs is one thing, but if you are working for nothing, then why even bother.

Daniel prolly don see the frieght train bearing down on him???

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Really Daniel? Your getting over $75.00 a room in Memphis? I take what other say about pricing on the net with a grain of salt. I could believe it if you’re a high end cleaner in a trust fund fueled economy but I don’t buy it in your case.

125 minimum and 150 for certain areas.

I won't drive out for less and we work everyday. Lots of big jobs 500 plus completed over the last month and a half.

I don't worry what others charge. I charge what I know I need to in order to do a good job, make money, and give the customer value.

I would rather sit home than whore myself out.

Every job is different hence the term FREE ESTIMATES.

One job may be five rooms for 200 and the next may be one for 175. Depends on the job.

Goomer said:
danielc said:
danielc said:
One job may be five rooms for 200

Five rooms for 200 is 40 dollars a room Doogie

Yes it is but I am not doing two rooms for 80 dollars either. That means driving 15 miles one direction, setting up, inspecting the job, completing the job, breaking down, and driving back.

There are plenty of people that will pay more for a better job. As long as they are getting value for the service you provide.

One room for 175 is 175.

1000 sq ft comerical at 50 cents is 500. I can't spend three hours on a job even if it is only a thousand feet vacuuming, scrubbing, rinsing, and padding for 200 dollars. I can but I won't. I sell a better job. Sure I do cheaper jobs like everyone, but I give the customer a job they are paying for (spray and suck).

Price is irrelevant.

The important thing is to make sure you price each job to give the customer the level of service they want, at a price where you make money, and that the customer feels the price is fair or they got what they paid for.

If you advertise price, you are just selling yourself short.

FREE ESTIMATES.

Every job is different. Every customer has different expectations.

Back on topic. Yes add a fuel surcharge if you don't offer free estimates.

I have already made my mind up not to compete with every other three room and hall 75 dollar hack.

Some people only want to spend 50 dollars to get their carpets cleaned. There are services that cater to them.

All I know is I can't make money with my business model doing three room 75 dollar jobs. I would lose my azz.

Now if I drove a prius with a 175 and some cotton pads I would make a killing. :idea: :idea:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I seem to remember someone calling me out because I wouldnt whore myself out. A big house should be at least 3-400, not 200, esp if there are concerned about allergies.

You guys haven't much to complain about. Gas/Diesel is 1.23/liter here = $4.64/gallon SUpposed to hit $1.50/L ($5.67) by summer.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Just use this as the motivation to raise your prices... which you should have done already ages ago.

Lisa

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
.50 for commercial must be hard to sell when others can do it for 1/5th the price.

Commercial is always on a budget. I find it best to first find their budget range and work backwards from that. I may mean dividing the job up to subsequent dates or using a variety of methods to hit the budget.

AS far as gas surcharge.

NO WAY!!

Easier to build it into the rate.

Name
I'm Rick James
ACE said:
Gas is $3.38 a gallon here and climbing. It cost me about $100.00 to fill up my vans.

Fuel charges are dumb...just raise your prices with the rise in fuel.

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah, no fuel charge, or trip charge.

Some areas of higher mins than others.

But 90% of my jobs are within 10 miles..

If gas keeps going up I will adjust prices, and remain a no fuel surcharge.

I tried a fuel charge a few years ago..
I always felt slimy doing it. And it was only $5.00

Like Monday, I have 3 jobs.. And I will not put 16 miles on the van, unless I run errands between jobs or after.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
no fuel charge
work it into your price

I don't worry what others charge.

for someone that doesn't GAS, you sure seem to piss and moan about it a lot

and you haven't attained Harper status yet.
At this point in your career, you're a wannabe Harper.
so forgive me, cause I ain't reading the rest of your "what you think you know" about being in biz.

carry on

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Overhead (including gas) was big reason for me going back to low moisture.

If you fall into the "raise my prices when they do" it could be bad for the entire economy...and maybe your business.
That's the big picture of course.

I bought the v-6 Toyota because the v-8 used more gas...the TM's use too much gas AND propane if you use that type of heater. (this includes the vehicle to haul it around).

I think as gas prices go through the roof...so will other things like the chems you use AND the very equipment you purchase that uses fuel.

Hell, even bread prices increase with gas prices....but some find other ways to use less of what costs more.

You may not agree with my process but it's cost effective and my ROI is out of this world.
And I don't care what you say.....I can clean a carpet with it.

Not much you can do while using a TM other than raise your prices a bit...I understand that OR you could always post padcap and use your machine a little less....only when "needed" maybe?

No way would I add a surcharge...I've tried it...and people were ok with it because it fed their fears...and drama is priceless.

I just felt like I was taking advantage of someone while I was pissed about someone taking advantage of me.

2 wrongs don't make a right ....but 3 rights make a left. !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom