Anyone Tow a Travel Trailer (+25ft) with CC Van?

EDS

Name
Ed
Just bought a new travel trailer and am going to be towing it with my cc 2009 3/4 ton Chevy Express. Anyone here towing and if so how have you found it? I am about 900 pound under my towing capacity with my van emptied (except Apex).

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Are you counting weight of the trailer completely loaded for a trip? A 5th wheel trailer I pulled a couple of times was 9000lbs by itself but 11000 once everything (including water tank fill) was loaded.

What engine?

EDS

Name
Ed
I have the 6l v8 engine. I will not be fully packed. Wife will bring mini van while towing jet ski.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have the same van but a one ton and it can barely get out of its own way anymore, but it does have almost 100k on it now.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I have the 6l v8 engine. I will not be fully packed. Wife will bring mini van while towing jet ski.
That'll definitely help. Suggest adding a heavy-duty external Trans cooler if you don't already have one.

Name
Lee Stockwell
If I knew I'd regularly tow with my work truck I would definately go back to a 1 ton with 7.3 turbo diesel. That was a hoss, you never noticed when it was loaded or not.

Mikey P

Administrator
I can't imagine what a nightmare that would be..

As hilly as it is here and what with all the crazy steep or L shaped driveways....oh lordy... disaster

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.
J

JS41035

The 6 liter would make it ok. As long as the trailer has brakes you'll be fine. I have the 4.8. It's a gutless turd but it sips the fuel.

Name
BradFenstermaker
If TT doesnt come with weight distribution hitch get one. Only carry weight you have too in the van.

As mentioned add a tranny cool. Look at Tru Cool products. You want the fin coolers not the tube style.

If towing on highway alot add the sway bar as well.

Your van will get the job done just fine. Pay attention and go slower than usual.

Get a towing rig win you can. I started with popup then went to 29ft no slide trailer with 1 ton extended van.

Now have F250 diesel with 32ft and glad my work truck is not at risk anymore.
Setup family at local lake campground and I go to work from there in the summer.

Happy camping its great family fun.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I highly recommend 55'mph...and no OD....di youself a favor and clean the Mass Air Flow sensor...that does increase performance...I run a PTO....and without good maintenance they will slow right down...

EDS

Name
Ed
So I scrapped the idea of pulling my new trailer with the express. Instead, I bout a new truck. Got the Dodge 1500 outdoors man model with lots of bell and whistles. I pick up the trailer tomorrow...

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm going to start marketing in Coquitlam...... Wait a minute. I'm working there tonight. Drop by Austin Station next to the Thrifty foods and I'll buy you a coffee and teach you how to strip and wax floors FOR FREE!!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We have a smaller, 23' travel trailer. It weighs @ 3800 pounds. It's LIGHT for what it is.

I'm looking at going to a Yukon Denali or Escalade to cover long towing trips (NY, FL, CO, MT). They come with a 6.2 made to tow.

I wouldn't go far towing with a CC van. Even in IA where it's pretty flat.

EDS

Name
Ed
I'm going to start marketing in Coquitlam...... Wait a minute. I'm working there tonight. Drop by Austin Station next to the Thrifty foods and I'll buy you a coffee and teach you how to strip and wax floors FOR FREE!!
Oh I know how to strip and wax. Worked for BC Housing for three years as a building manager. You could not pay me to that...
But coffee one day would be nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom