Anyone use deep cell batteries for the tm?I

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I've gone through three batteries in two years, this will be the fourth.

Brought it to the disty last time, thinking something must be wrong can't be a battery. I just got it six months ago. 300 bucks later, battery had a "bad cell".

Same thing starts happening, having to run the tm with jumper cables to van battery. After a few hours hooked to the van it will start on the second job.

So, it can't be a battery... It's 10 months old.

Bring it to my mechanic today, it's gotta be an electrical/charging issue. He tells me I need a deep cell battery. Anyone else using a deep cell battery?

Name
Nate W.
I have a 20hp kawasaki motor running my TM.. I went through 3 batteries on mines also.. The first one got changed because it kept dying and I did the same as you with the jumper cables.. I changed the battery out and still had the same problem with it dying.. Changed stator and something else only to find out it was the charging fuse that caused all the problems from the get go.. The second battery was only 10 months old and had a bad cell.. Bought a 3 battery and seems to be good, been over 1 year... I did however go with a Napa battery instead of the other place I've gone to get batteries before...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jerry;

Deep cell batteries are NOT for engines with charging capabilities.

We install our TM's using the truck battery for starting.

Only have to maintain one battery.

If you run down the truck battery, just start the TM engine and charge it up.

Larry

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
had the battery on my unit (older everest with nissan) for the 5 yrs since i bought it, plus how ever long they had it.

plus i have discharged it a few times leaving the key on :redface::redface::redface:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Jerry;
Deep cell batteries are NOT for engines with charging capabilities.
We install our TM's using the truck battery for starting.
Only have to maintain one battery.
If you run down the truck battery, just start the TM engine and charge it up.
Larry

Larry, how do you start the truckmount if there is only one battery and it is dead?

I am not a fan of one battery systems. For many reasons a TM or it's accessories can kill a battery if something fails on the charging system.
Then your stuck with no way to start the truck.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Larry, how do you start the truckmount if there is only one battery and it is dead?

I am not a fan of one battery systems. For many reasons a TM or it's accessories can kill a battery if something fails on the charging system.

I have 2 batteries, and they are connected together in parallel. The van battery is 13 years old (i've never heard of a battery lasting that long), and starts on the coldest winter days because of the double cranking amps using a parallel hookup and dual batteries, the same as a diesel van motor using 2 batteries to give it more cranking amps (power).

I will now be replacing that van battery because I just bragged on it, and you know what that means. ;)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

If the truck battery is dead, you won't be going to the cleaning job.

I have not seen TM's completely discharge a working truck battery
(they only draw a couple of amps).

I even have TM's that kept the truck battery charged until the alternator could be repaired.

I'm sure Jerry has had fewer problems with his van battery,

than he has with his FOUR TM batteries.

Larry

Last edited:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I have not seen TM's completely discharge a working truck battery
(they only draw a couple of amps).

Until you add things like water transfer pumps, 12V Pump outs, electric clutches, cooling fans, etc. to the equation.
They will kill a battery real quick if the TM charging system fails. Then your stuck with a van that won't start on a job and it will be 2am. no doubt.
2 Batteries for me.

Name
I'm Rick James
What kind of condition is the battery cables in? Maybe its not getting the full juice it needs.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I got a full size battery with my new truckmount . I think those little cheesey lawn and garden batteries are prone to pooping out. Ive just grown to accept that truckmounts eat a couple batteries per year

Becker

Name
Becker
I got a full size battery with my new truckmount . I think those little cheesey lawn and garden batteries are prone to pooping out. Ive just grown to accept that truckmounts eat a couple batteries per year

Wow!!

What is up? I've gets years of use from past batteries.

I did have one explode on me. Like a bomb.

My 2 TMs are new to me in the past 12 months, do far so good.

Name
Grant DuBridge
I installed a deep cell when my Kohler engine stopped charging the battery. The battery was four years old. I ran the TM for three days at a time without charging (and i was running the machine, Prochem Legend, My 10 year old Legend has 13,000 hours. Now I have been running a Prochem Cub while I put a new engine in the Legend and have found that it won't keep the battery charged. It will kill my new under the hood battery in less then three hours. The deepcycle will work great whether your machine is charging or not.

Grant

Becker

Name
Becker
I installed a deep cell when my Kohler engine stopped charging the battery. The battery was four years old. I ran the TM for three days at a time without charging (and i was running the machine, Prochem Legend, My 10 year old Legend has 13,000 hours. Now I have been running a Prochem Cub while I put a new engine in the Legend and have found that it won't keep the battery charged. It will kill my new under the hood battery in less then three hours. The deepcycle will work great whether your machine is charging or not.

Grant

That all just sounds annoying!

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I run 3 batteries
1 for truck engine
1 for tm engine .. Hybrid
1 for all my accessories. Hybrid battery

My 12 volt accessories include. Linear actuators that open and close my doors, pump out, battery sprayer charging station, led lighting, my stone tools that require charging.

I have an 100 amp alternator that charges acc battery when unit runs

Everyone should have a battery meter to tell you condition of battery (12.5-12.7vand charging system.(13.5-13.9)
I would suggest inexpensive marine cigarette socket(10$) and meter (15$)
Allot of tm heat control systems need the 13.5 volt to run right

Most kohler a I know have 15 amp charging systems

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The machine is practically brand new with 650 hours on it.

I've been told the voltage regulator can have a lot to do with charging issues. 650 hours in and parts breaking? Seems odd, o'most as odd as going threw 3(now 4) batteries. Going to try the deep cell and get a voltage regulator.

Imo, two batteries is better than one, suppose the tm runs down the vans battery at a clients house during job...

Thanks guys.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The machine is practically brand new with 650 hours on it.

I've been told the voltage regulator can have a lot to do with charging issues. 650 hours in and parts breaking? Seems odd, o'most as odd as going threw 3(now 4) batteries. Going to try the deep cell and get a voltage regulator.

Imo, two batteries is better than one, suppose the tm runs down the vans battery at a clients house during job...

Thanks guys.
I have a digital voltage readout on my power inverter that indicates the 12V battery is putting out 14.29 volts while running so I know the TM charging system is at work, charging both the TM and the van battery.

When I shut the TM down,the voltage drops to 12.56.

Name
I'm Rick James
I always figured that the large car battery doesn't get fully charged when using a small engine voltage regulator.

I read somewhere that a car battery needs 45 amps to charge it and most small engines are 16-20 amp voltage regulators.. which means it won't fully charge the car battery and is considered a "slow draw". Ultimately causing a short battery life.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I read somewhere that a car battery needs 45 amps to charge it and most small engines are 16-20 amp voltage regulators.. which means it won't fully charge the car battery and is considered a "slow draw". Ultimately causing a short battery life.

Donno about all that, Brent.
as most battery chargers are 10 amp..and a 2amp trickle charge will charge a battery as full as possible

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
Donno about all that, Brent.
as most battery chargers are 10 amp..and a 2amp trickle charge will charge a battery as full as possible

..L.T.A.

What a second.. are you saying that not everyone on the internet is true? Oh my..

Becker

Name
Becker
how can I get 850 cranking amps from a battery being charged via a 110 alternator on my truck, or a 10 amp chrager? Because it is a battery, storage of energy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom