Anyone using a 6 or 12 Month "Spot & Spill Warranty"?

hanks75

Seriously considering offering this warranty with purchase of DuPont Teflon Advanced to try to increase average ticket sales. Anyone have experience implementing this type of program. Did you see and increase in protector sales, and how were the spot service calls? Thanks ahead of time!!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
hanks75 said:
Seriously considering offering this warranty with purchase of DuPont Teflon Advanced to try to increase average ticket sales. Anyone have experience implementing this type of program. Did you see and increase in protector sales, and how were the spot service calls? Thanks ahead of time!!

Yes, William, quite a few of our SFS members are including a free 12 month "Spot and Spill Warranty" on all their protector applications. And yes, most of them have seen anywhere from a 30% to 50% sales increase. (Bear in mind this percentage can be affected by a lot of other variables but I've never heard of anyone who tried it going back to the old system.)

Here is a section from my "Upselling" Special Report that answers your question about the service calls:

"Now logically you should worry about all these extra “free” spotting service calls if you include a spot and spill warranty in all of your protector applications. Correct? Wrong and here?s why:

1. Only about two percent will ever call you. Repeated studies have found that very few of your customers will ever call you on a spot, yet all of them will view this free bonus as very valuable. This leads to …

2. You can (and should) raise your protector prices. Our Strategies for Success members who have included spot and spill guarantees in their Scotchgard applications have raised their protector package pricing by twenty to forty percent and yet report they are selling more product too. If you raise protector pricing your net profits will soar which will more than cover your few extra free service calls over the course of a year, plus …

3. You will also sell more services while you are performing these “free” service calls. The vast majority of our warranty calls also had us do extra work “since you?re here”. This additional work always more than paid for the cost of the service call.

Maybe most importantly, by including a “Spot and Spill Guarantee” every time you apply Scotchgard you will set yourself apart from all of your competitors. Even better, your happy clients will start to talk about this wonderful free service that finally gives them peace of mind. You will have created your very own “sure thing”- a delighted Customer Cheerleader!"

OK, William, I'm back. The very best thing about the 12 month warranty period is you now have an excuse to add a "sense of urgency" when you contact the customer a year later as in "you are almost out of warranty". And the only way to keep the "Spot and Spill" warranty in force? Clean and re-apply the protector to the carpet!

Steve
http://WWW.SFS.JonDon.com

PS William, I'd normally post a link to the free instructions on how to set this warranty program up. But then the MB police would get their panties all in an uproar. So e-mail me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and I'll get you taken care of.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
You sell peace of mind/it closes sales,if they use it be fast and professional ...nuff said 22 yrs it worked here ...

In eight years of applying carpet protector I can count on one hand the number of customers that ask for it a second time. They simply do not work on damp carpet. If the carpet is bone dry, you apply it liberally, and no foot traffic at all for 24 hours, then the results are decent. I just hate leaving a soaking wet carpet. I sell protector with the customer knowing the carpet will be damp for at least 24 hours.

leesenter

We have offered warranties for years and warranty service calls are basically non-existent.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I think Dan is smoking crack.

Even when applying protector my dry times didn't suffer. And it works great on damp carpet.

Will it lengthen dry times? Sure it will, but if your using airmovers, like the airpath, then your pretty well going to be dry by the time you leave the home.

If your applying it correctly your customers will definitely see a difference, especially with a protector with acid dye blockers.

I offered a 12 month spot a spill warranty and it worked excellent. Very rarely did I have to go back on a spot call and when I did it just strengthened the relationship

SDSinc

We have a 24 month gaurantee with our Dupont Fabric protection for upholstery and a one year for our carpet protector. I sell the sizznot out of it. We did 5k in July.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
In eight years of applying carpet protector I can count on one hand the number of customers that ask for it a second time. They simply do not work on damp carpet. If the carpet is bone dry, you apply it liberally, and no foot traffic at all for 24 hours, then the results are decent. I just hate leaving a soaking wet carpet. I sell protector with the customer knowing the carpet will be damp for at least

All right i never
say much
Dan if you have 8 yrs in the bus and think scotchgaurd is a waste?
MAybe if you would'nt spend so much time on here makin stupid posts
you would take the time and do a test at home.
Can you idenify different fiber type by now i probley not.

I had a cleaner from san diego visiting his mother in sc
yak yak
so i ask him what kind of carpet does his mother had?
he could'nt tell me
but he kept tellin me a how great of a cleaner he was
and a good cleaner would never use a glide
dan get some education protector does work and you should do every customer
that has nylon a favor and insist on them having it.

I should restate Dupont Teflon will not hold up for a year with heavy foot traffic. Maybe a couple months it will bead water up, but dirt will still get tracked in as normal.

How come I apply the product 1:4 liberally, rake, set fans, and go back 6 months later and the carpet is full of stains? Not in one instance but dozens. I sell the shit out of it though. And yes I can identify a nylon, wool, or olefin fiber. Mostly encounter nylon and wool here though cleaning residential carpet.

I have great success with protector on wool rugs. Not on nylon wall to wall.

Isn't the whole point of applying the protector to help the carpet stay clean longer and make it easier to maintain?

Well if that is the case, I am not having much success so please enlighten me.

Whatever. I know what I am talking about. I am not sold that the protector is doing squat on the carpet after 90 days.

The newer formulas with acid dye blockers may work better. I haven't used them much. I do know the Hardball Solvent works superbly. I haven't tried it on residential just rugs.

And I have done numerous testing in rental properties and my regular customers white nylon carpets.

Ok the protector will work to a degree IF THE CUSTOMER MAKES A POINT OF TAKING CARE OF THE CARPET (taking their shoes off, vacuuming daily, no pets or kids etc). If they track grease in from the garage, go work in the garden, and walk all over the carpet, the carpet will look like dirty in less than a week guaranteed and that stuff isn't going to vacuum out. It will need to be hwe.

Sorry I just am not convinced they work as advertised.

The point of this thread wasn't whether protectors work or not, but advice on warranties. I have always heard protection sold with a warranty will command a higher price, and the higher price will offset the few callbacks you get. I agree with that philosophy and will use it myself for select clientelle.

G

George V

I wouldn't hesitate to offer a 12 month spot and spill warranty.

Matter of fact,

anyone got a templete or certificate i could use to give clients who purchasa the warranty?

Thanks!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
6 month spot and spill warranty.. general food spills per manufacturers warranty. We still charge if they have pet accidents, extreme spills, or very hot drink spills. Have yet to have return.. But my favorite part is when we return to clean it. It ALWAYS cleans up so much easier.

Daniel protector does not make a carpet bullet proof. And even customers good at maintenance can suck at spotting. I make it a point to educate all of my customers about spotting properly. 8 out of every 10 customers we work for have no clue how to properly spot. They love to grab the first product off the shelf, stash it under the sink. Grab it in a panick before removing anything and rub it into the carpet with a towel to get it out. And 9 out of 10 customers never use water to follow up with.

Insert Spotter Giveaway program.. and Steve T's infamous white towel advice. ( I really need to pick up more white towels)

Educating your customers is way more important that protector. But protector give some insurance and peace of mine and makes our job a hell of a lot easier.

If you feel you are gouging your customers. Then lower price, suggest traffic lanes only, and keep a 1 gallon pump up sprayer on board and hit just those areas. Your customers will still get the benefit of a protector. You won't be soaking it down with scotchgard and you'll have even less time invested in the procedure.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Started my "Spot & Spill" one year warranty yesterday. Had a 43% increase in ticket at my current protector price, we will be increasing our protector price $5. per room which will be a 33% increase. Still in process of making the warranty certificate (anyone have a template?).

Explained to new customer/client that I would send her the certificate as soon as I had it completed. What I like about it is I believe that this will take your clients off the market to shop other cleaners. If this is the only thing it accomplishes it is worth it! I know that it will give me one more tool to push me to sell protector.

I have signed up for MyFloorWarranty, the start up process is moving along a little slow but I believe that it will be the best thing for carpet cleaners since "a slice of bread" ok maybe a glide. In the meantime I will be converting as many of my current customers/clients that I can to the spot and spill warranty.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
BLewis said:
Started my "Spot & Spill" one year warranty yesterday. Had a 43% increase in ticket at my current protector price, we will be increasing our protector price $5. per room which will be a 33% increase... What I like about it is I believe that this will take your clients off the market to shop other cleaners. If this is the only thing it accomplishes it is worth it! I know that it will give me one more tool to push me to sell protector.
That is good news, Billy. I like your "take them off the market" point.

The other advantage that might have gotten lost in this thread is with the 12 month warranty you now have added "time dated urgency" to the mix as in "Ma'am, your free 12 month Spot & Spill Warranty expires in 3 weeks on November 7th. You can have it renewed at no cost just by having us clean and reapply the protective finish before then. Is there a day of the week that is better for you?"

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We're finding clients SAY they want to clean their carpets every 12 months anyway. But due to the "invasive nature" of a residential carpet cleaning they tend to put it off. The 12 month S & S Warranty is just a tool to keep them on schedule.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
BLewis said:
Started my "Spot & Spill" one year warranty yesterday. Had a 43% increase in ticket at my current protector price, we will be increasing our protector price $5. per room which will be a 33% increase. Still in process of making the warranty certificate (anyone have a template?).

Explained to new customer/client that I would send her the certificate as soon as I had it completed. What I like about it is I believe that this will take your clients off the market to shop other cleaners. If this is the only thing it accomplishes it is worth it! I know that it will give me one more tool to push me to sell protector.

I have signed up for MyFloorWarranty, the start up process is moving along a little slow but I believe that it will be the best thing for carpet cleaners since "a slice of bread" ok maybe a glide. In the meantime I will be converting as many of my current customers/clients that I can to the spot and spill warranty.

Amen!! With a spot and spill warranty, I am more likely to sell more protector. :shock:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Steve,
I know that I told you at SFS but I wanted to thank you again for the "full charge" ! The Spot & Spill warranty is just one of many thing I will be implimenting. Another small price in increase in Jan. That should put me at a price point I will be happy with (at least for another year ;)

Mikey P

Administrator
I am considering the My Flooring Warranty program too Billy.

I have my reservations about it though.

Too me is looks like a good way to establish a relationship with a retailer for the 1st time. It's a different way to get them to refer you then bribes or doughnuts for sure

I;m just not so sure the upfront costs and the head aches of the free spot cleaning would be worth it if they are ALREADY referring your company.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
I am considering the My Flooring Warranty program too Billy.

I have my reservations about it though.

Too me is looks like a good way to establish a relationship with a retailer for the 1st time. It's a different way to get them to refer you then bribes or doughnuts for sure

I;m just not so sure the upfront costs and the head aches of the free spot cleaning would be worth it if they are ALREADY referring your company.
You'll need to decide on the cost/benefit ratio of the My Flooring Warranty program, Mike. But everyone on this thread (and every SFS member that is doing the S & S Scotchgard Warranty) says the percentage of clients who will EVER call you out is infinitesimal. (For sure less than 1%.)

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Re: the My Flooring Warranty program I interviewed John Mapes this summer. Read it here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/10237/blog/an-ind ... ty-program

For the record I have no financial connection with John Mapes or the MFW program. However, what John has developed is pretty impressive IF the cleaner gets out there and actually gets his retailers signed up. (I have one SFS member using MFW that has 10 flooring stores on board- all sending him referrals on auto-pilot.)

Mikey P

Administrator
Of those 10, how many were already referring him and is he now giving them a dollar amount or percentage for each referral like Mapes suggests?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
Of those 10, a) how many were already referring him and b) is he now giving them a dollar amount or percentage for each referral like Mapes suggests?
Don't know on a and re b) I don't believe MFW ever suggests doing a percentage. Instead, the motivation for the retailer to play ball with you and enter their customer data in the "Retailer Portal" MFW installs on your web site is you are letting them "differentiate" themselves from Home Depot, etc by including the 12 Month Spot and Spill Warranty as a freeby. This warranty costs the retailer nothing and yet has a high "perception of value" on the part of the home owner. Everyone wins.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Mike, I really don't want to be a shill on here for John Mapes. (Too busy shilling SFS!) :) In fact, you can do exactly what John is offering and it won't cost you anything except a lot of time, initiative and programming charges.

I shared this exact idea with SFS members way back in 2007. Just go to your SFS Operations Manual in the Marketing section and look to the back under Carpet Retailers- pages 1 to 5. It has been a source of frustration to me that I detailed this whole concept out four years ago and very few SFS members ever did anything with it! (Not even Robison! Grrr!) John Mapes did and now he has made it turnkey and simple- that's why I like it.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's been my experience that my local retailers DO NOT want to discuss anything about any sort of warranties with the buyer. Just leads to head ache service and inspection calls for them.

I just get the feeling that I would be the company that would break John's average of less than 2% call back rate for spotting

All the Volvo Moms around here would be calling every month.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
the deal with my flooring warranty is that the dealer will not have to deal with the service or inspections end of it. you do! that I think is the selling point for the dealer. If they get a call on a warranty, they tell their customer to call you! My dealer is loving this idea as he doesn't have to deal with the problems after the installation!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom