anyone using an unglided wand?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have been using an unglided wand on some cut pile carpet lately and getting pretty good results. It seems that since I have a small tm the added resistance from the wand clamping down gives me some extra heat plus I think it gives me a little bit extra aggitation over the glide. If you work your stroke right It doesnt seem too tough to push on the cut pile. I think on cgd the glide must stay

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
juniorc82 said:
I have been using an unglided wand on some cut pile carpet lately and getting pretty good results. It seems that since I have a small tm the added resistance from the wand clamping down gives me some extra heat plus I think it gives me a little bit extra aggitation over the glide. If you work your stroke right It doesnt seem too tough to push on the cut pile. I think on cgd the glide must stay

if a Ti wand wasn't such a monster to push, we'd run it glide-less .
a glide-less wand cleans deeper on cut piles .
With a glide you gave to add more psi , flow and go slower to accomplish the same results as unglided

AW29 and various knock-offs of it are always glide-less for us

..l.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
When I run my boxxer, I usually dont take the ti wand from my truck, I run the standard aw29 2 jetter and it cleans great. I really notice no difference in cleaning or drying, although I run the 2jet about 100 psi less

jgalves

I have never used a wand with a glide. I've heard that it gives more suction but i don't see how the holes being so spread out will suck out all the water. Can anyone explain this to me?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
jgalves said:
I have never used a wand with a glide. I've heard that it gives more suction but i don't see how the holes being so spread out will suck out all the water. Can anyone explain this to me?

it's a "slot velocity" thing, Jamie.
The holes restricts flow, which increases lift, which increases velocity .

But in reality as a practical matter, holes really don't dry any faster .
Do a side by side with identical wands and it will immediately "feel" like one side is drier to touch, but feel it 30 minutes latter and you won't be able to tell the difference .
and measuring to "complete" drying, there's not dimes worth of difference

The only reason I can figure that some "swear" they get better dry times with holes are;

1.) they've never done side by sides on same room, same day..cause they don't have two identical wands or are two lazy to do side by sides and be around to evaluate the complete dry time.
...and they're just guessing.

2.) their unglided wand is "locking down" on the carpet preventing air flow and their glided wand doesn't lock down due to larger surface area .
That's especially true on low loop com carpet where "lock down" is most prevalent

3.) they really don't know any better and are just parroting what some others say

..L.T.A.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I use a 1 1/2" unglided hydra hoe and a 2' glided hydra hoe and use each in different circumstances.

S

sam miller

Ruff Hewn said:
juniorc82 said:

if a Ti wand wasn't such a monster to push, we'd run it glide-less .
a glide-less wand cleans deeper on cut piles .
With a glide you gave to add more psi , flow and go slower to accomplish the same results as unglided

AW29 and various knock-offs of it are always glide-less for us

..l.T.A.

X2

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:
or..

3) A glided wand is easier to give more dry passes

Yep! I have a Aw29 I run without a glide 6 flow and a westpac from bristor with a holed glide and shear spray 6 flow.

I promise You the westpac dries the carpet faster, on a rainy day with high humidity thats what I use, I also drop a fan and it's dry to the touch.

The shear helps also the water isnt pushed down into the carpet I thinnk Larry might agree on that!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
sam miller said:
The shear helps also the water isnt pushed down into the carpet I thinnk Larry might agree on that!

i do, but by the same token, the more shear the less penetration and more PSI and flow is needed to accomplish the same cleaning efficacy...til you go too far, the no amount of pis or flow will do it.

get "too much" shear and it's junk for anything but clean carpets .
an example would be Studebaker's invention that's utilized on the Rotary Drymaster and upl tool .
The Drymaster ain't squat on a soiled carpet ..that's why it's buried in the corners of garages and shops gathering dust all across the country .
The upl tool is a little different, because you're cleaning a "flat" fabric

The AW29's "sweet spot" is right around 300 psi ...it's a great cleaning wand at that pressure.
problems start to show up at 350 and higher .

Most guys with a TM think they need 400 to 500+ to clean with
and many of them do...because they've been convinced to add all sorts of doodads and gizmos .
they HAVE to turn up the psi and flow to get any cleaning performance with the doodads

..L.T.A.

S

sam miller

My drymaster was one sitting in a shop but like the hoss the drymaster has a restrictor when removd it actually cleans! shocker :shock:

Probably not as good as a rx20 or hi flow wand but decent with excellent dry times.

I agree depending on the carpet and soil condition's determine's how I clean it.

Because in some cases the shear wand is a pita.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I've cleaned with and without on the same wand, same carpet, same pressure, etc... With my legend GT and the holed Teflon glide left the carpet much drier with the same amount of dry passes at the same speed. By far drier! That's just my own test. Also of course it is much easier to operate although you do lose some agitation which I address with dwell time and agitation with groomer on soiled areas.
Just my honest opinion.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
mcatt said:
I've cleaned with and without on the same wand, same carpet, same pressure, etc... With my legend GT and the holed Teflon glide left the carpet much drier with the same amount of dry passes at the same speed. By far drier! That's just my own test. Also of course it is much easier to operate although you do lose some agitation which I address with dwell time and agitation with groomer on soiled areas.
Just my honest opinion.

Thanks Mike.
can you share the specifics ?

Carpet type
Wand
PSI and flow rate
Same room/same time or different rooms
and how long it took each side to "complete" dry

Reason I ask, is cause the only other person I know besides me that actually did side by sides was Larry Cobb.
and his findings mirrored mine

BTW, mine were don't on cut piles to "complete" dry in my home

..L.T.A.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
The whole psi thing is also unacurate. In 1/4 neptune hose you lose lots of psi due to friction loss. I'm talking over a hundred psi. Could be more depending on how much hose you are using. So running 500 at the machine would be 400 at the wand.

As far as glides, if they dry at the same amount of time or even worse for the same strokes I will use them. I would rather do an extra dry pass with a glided wand than one less with an unglided wand. I train my techs to feel the carpets on each job to make sure drying is being done properly during the cleaning process. Every carpet is different so if we need more or slower drying passes we do them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom