Apartments turn over

John Alzubi

I got a call today from an apartment complex with 285 units garden style, asking for a turn over estimate. We do move-out-in cleaning and I use TM. The question is how much I should charge them. For individuals my minimum charge for carpet cleaning 1 BR apartment is $100, and $20 more for each additional room. Also whats the pros and cons for dealing with apartments complexes.

I need to sent the estimate tonight.

Any help here is really appreciated.

Thanks

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
$60.00 for a 1 bedroom $80 for two. and if the accoun is big enough take off another 15 bucks on each one? Its what we do, but our apartment volume is high.

I just don't see most apartment complexes paying over a hundred dollars for a basic clean on a one room unit. I cleaned apartments for about three months and the going rate was around 50 dollars for a one bedroom unit. I don't clean apartments because the competition is FIERCE and the price is dirt cheap. There is a cleaner here who I have a lot of respect for that cleans mostly apartments under contract. They sub out the standard cleanings to other companies and only do the ones with problems, repairs, spot dye, pet odor etc. They usually get around 300 each unit and I swear this guy has three vans and puts around 8,000 hours a year on each one (Legend XL's). He makes a killing. He was pretty cool when I met him. If I was in a bind I would refer my customers to him. If I was going to get into apartments I would only do it with a signed contract and with the understanding that the security deposit was for restoring the units and not for their profit.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
I just don't see most apartment complexes paying over a hundred dollars for a basic clean on a one room unit. I cleaned apartments for about three months and the going rate was around 50 dollars for a one bedroom unit. I don't clean apartments because the competition is FIERCE and the price is dirt cheap. There is a cleaner here who I have a lot of respect for that cleans mostly apartments under contract. They sub out the standard cleanings to other companies and only do the ones with problems, repairs, spot dye, pet odor etc. They usually get around 300 each unit and I swear this guy has three vans and puts around 8,000 hours a year on each one (Legend XL's). He makes a killing. He was pretty cool when I met him. If I was in a bind I would refer my customers to him. If I was going to get into apartments I would only do it with a signed contract and with the understanding that the security deposit was for restoring the units and not for their profit.

Wow, 333 days a year each van cleans 24 hours a day. That's non stop too. Something smells fishy. I highly doubt that the tm's couldn't run that long without breaking down, let alone clean apartments 24 hours a day for 333 days without getting shut down for noise. Do the math and the story doesn't add up. :lol:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
If you want to do apartments around here you have to price the cleaning as a loss leader and make your money on repairs, odor and stain removal.

Nate The Great said:
danielc said:

Wow, 333 days a year each van cleans 24 hours a day. That's non stop too. Something smells fishy. I highly doubt that the tm's couldn't run that long without breaking down, let alone clean apartments 24 hours a day for 333 days without getting shut down for noise. Do the math and the story doesn't add up. :lol:

Ok my numbers aren't exact but I saw the hour meter on the mahcine and it had around 8k hours on it and the mahcine was just a little over a year old. It took me three years to put 2k hours on my Legend so yeah I was shocked. I asked him about maintenance and he said he has only had to change the belts and oil and one pressure regualtor. There is nothing fishy about this story. Yes his trucks run 24 hours a day with water damages in apartments, cleaning, and they service some residential not to mention thousands of apartments. Yes they work and make great money. He services all the apartments that sign contracts and only those and they are a great cleaning firm. And like I said before they sub out all the basic 65 dollar cleanings to another companies. His trucks only go out for 100 dollar plus jobs. Don't take everything literally.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
Nate The Great said:
danielc said:

Ok my numbers aren't exact but I saw the hour meter on the mahcine and it had around 8k hours on it and the mahcine was just a little over a year old. It took me three years to put 2k hours on my Legend so yeah I was shocked. I asked him about maintenance and he said he has only had to change the belts and oil and one pressure regualtor. There is nothing fishy about this story. Yes his trucks run 24 hours a day with water damages in apartments, cleaning, and they service some residential not to mention thousands of apartments. Yes they work and make great money. He services all the apartments that sign contracts and only those and they are a great cleaning firm. And like I said before they sub out all the basic 65 dollar cleanings to another companies. His trucks only go out for 100 dollar plus jobs. Don't take everything literally.

If we don't, how does imformation benefit others? Talk is cheap. Just busting your balls... :lol:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
John Alzubi said:
I got a call today from an apartment complex with 285 units garden style, asking for a turn over estimate. We do move-out-in cleaning and I use TM. The question is how much I should charge them. For individuals my minimum charge for carpet cleaning 1 BR apartment is $100, and $20 more for each additional room. Also whats the pros and cons for dealing with apartments complexes.

I need to sent the estimate tonight.

Any help here is really appreciated.

Thanks

how much to charge depends on "your" cost of doing biz and how much "you" need to make to turn a profit great or small

in "general"...you'll find a fair amount of price resistance at $100 for 1 bd rm apt..unless it's larger than average size.

In "general" the larger the complex (amount of units) the cheaper they are

In "general" they'll promise you 3 to 5 units at a time hoping to get a better volume price....but don't expect to get 3- 5 units ready to clean very often...price accordingly pr unit and what you need to make.

in "general" you have to be very efficient to make decent money in apts

..L.T.A.

Name
steve snail
Isn't that just like a complex. They want it yesterday, and when it comes time to pay you...just ask how long. The obvious exception is a landowner that owns a few units and can and will pay more for good service and pay you within a week.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
ACE/ Mike has it right in our area (college town thousands of units) $35.00-$50.00 at turn over time. (Several hundred units at a time) Everyone fights over them, it's not about quality, just price.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just wondering, who sets this "going rate"?
$65 or less for a two bdrm apt? They'd be in there for what, 30-45min tops, ie arrive to leave, not just cleaning time?
Thats like washing your clothes but speeding up the machine so the wash cycle only takes 10min, incl fill time.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
some of our compleses set the rate. I have no control over some.. You either take it or leave it. some are more than they should be and some ar eless than they should be. go figure

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Management companies.

There is always someone willing to do it cheaper and they will always go with them. We won't even bid on them, not worth the waste of time!

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
taco is worng on the apt companys always going low end. i have one company that pay me 225 for a 2 bed unit before any repairs are done the other companys pay my price which is inline with other bdcc's in my area.
where you make your money is in the repairs and the water damages that happen on the complexs
once you understand the needs of the company and respond to them no other company will replace you unless you mess up
i have been doing apts for 14years and know there business inside out right down to the share price of the reit companys i work for that are on the stock market

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Things are different on the coast I guess. WDR is a PIA for the apartments here. Most of the time they want you to save the carpet after a category 3 loss.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mike is right, or maybe it's just our area?

Around here they don't want any structural drying, they whip out the kilz and start spraying before you're even done with extraction.

We can't work with them, too much liability. I've seen them screw a few dry wall screws in sagging dry wall and get out the Kilz. :shock:

Name
Nate W.
rctpks said:
Mike is right, or maybe it's just our area?

Around here they don't want any structural drying, they whip out the kilz and start spraying before you're even done with extraction.

We can't work with them, too much liability. I've seen them screw a few dry wall screws in sagging dry wall and get out the Kilz. :shock:

That's when you call the health department. This is America not Mexico..... :lol:

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
im sure there are managment companys like thet here too, but they are not the ones you want to work for,they are the ones that wont pay your bills

like i said before you have to learn all about the company then you'll know if you want to work for them.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Great Posts Guys

Thanks

Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time.
Malcolm Forbes

Being right half the time beats being half-assed all the time.-- Rick

Back
Top Bottom