Apex Opinions Needed

Bart

Name
Bart
I am considering buying a used Prochem Apex truck mount with 5500 hours on it, is it good machine?
What problems have been experienced with this machine?
Any opinions appreciated
Thanks,
Bart

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Not enough info.
Pics, price, is it running.
However it has been a very good machine 5500 hours. I would be happy.

Reactions: Bart

Bart

Name
Bart
Thanks for your input. This is the machine I'm considering for my start up business. The seller said the pressure gauge needs replacing and should run about $200. He recently replaced the radiator. Curious about what other parts start going out after 5500 hours.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks for your input. This is the machine I'm considering for my start up business. The seller said the pressure gauge needs replacing and should run about $200. He recently replaced the radiator. Curious about what other parts start going out after 5500 hours.
If the pressure gauge needs replaced it probably froze. I would run the machine for a while with water hooked up and look for busted lines, fittings, heat exchangers etc. At 5500 hours anything can be worn out depending on how it was used, but I have found that in many cases higher hour machines are better maintained than low hour machines, fwiw.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm a truck mount distributor, so I can't tell you that I'm being entirely objective in my comments.

With that said, we have found the Apex to be one of the most trouble free machines that we've sold. As Dave said, hours alone aren't enough to say whether or not its something you want to buy.

I worry when a guage needs to be replaced, because that is often a sign of freeze damage. If you aren't familiar with truck mount machines, I'd recommend that you have a regional distributor check the machine out and assess its condition for you first. They might want to steer you toward buying a new one from them, but its worth that discussion to get them to look at it as a third party.

If not, have a Kubota dealer look at the engine, then make sure that it produces pressure and that the pressure can be adjusted, that there are no leaks anywhere, that the chemical injection works, and that it comes to the proper heat and does not overheat and shut off. Also see to it that the vacuum is working properly, not just by feeling it at the console, but also by running at least 100' of hose on it and seeing how it cleans and dries carpet.

I would recommend going out on a job with him if its still installed in a truck, or doing a job of yours with it if its convenient.

And I would not buy it without him having him replace the pressure guage so that you know the machine is working properly.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Chris & Jim.

This time of year that gauge may be an indicator of a freeze. ??? The worst part is it might take a while for a break to occur because the metal is fatigued or stressed from being frozen, so it may not happen right away.

What ever he is asking for the unit, I'd offer less ($1,000.00-$1500.00).

Just on the chance of it being frozen, you're taking on all the risk with no recourse. If its a pump or heat exchanger. Replacement of parts after a freeze could easily be thousands of dollars, depending on what was damaged.

If he wants to sell the unit he may take your offer, if not you might find a better deal without the risk of a frozen unit being involved.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I would also recommend that you think about whether or not you have a distributor within reasonable distance to work on it for you. Unless you are another Jim Martin, you may find that working on a Prochem product can be rather daunting. If you are stranded on an island of heat and humidity like me, all alone with a screwdriver, you may want to buy something a little simpler to work on.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I have owned two of them and they're super machines. Both radiators ended leaking a bit so I had to fix that but no big deal. Otherwise just typical belts once or twice a year.

I did have to replace a gauge on one Apex machine and a Prochem legend through my 18 years and I'm in Southern California and we don't freeze, so I guess it can happen anywhere

Best machines I've had in my 18yrs. I like the Kabota motor and the fact of not having a computer module as well.

Great heat, great vacuum, very reliable which is the most important

Bart

Name
Bart
Hey Chris thanks info. I'am looking for my first machine I seen a lot peak units are they good ? Do they have a lot suction is it a # 3 or 4 blower on it ? I was told I need a # 4 , thanks for your help.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Hey Chris thanks info. I'am looking for my first machine I seen a lot peak units are they good ? Do they have a lot suction is it a # 3 or 4 blower on it ? I was told I need a # 4 , thanks for your help.

My Prochem experience is limited to one unit my dad had when he owned my business, a Legend which lasted 7000 hours before we sold it, on the original Kohler motor. Have a competitor with a Prochem 100A with 5500 hours that has been very happy as well. Able 1 Keith has a Peak with some hours on it, dunno who else on the board?

Able 1

Name
Keith
My Apex has been a great TM! I do wish you didn't have to choke it just about every time you start it. Coil packs went out on me which was harder to diagnose then to fix, other then that I haven't done much to it 2800 hours right now.. I heard there is a guy south of me that has like 7,000 hours on his.

My Peak has 4,500 hours and it has been very dependable. I just took it out of my van yesterday to replace the engine and clean it up. The engine still ran, and had good power, but I wanted some piece of mind going into this coming year. The Peak has great heat and good suction(though I use 2.5" vac. hose). The Peak has a #4 blower.

To compare the two you will notice more suction(lift) with the Apex. The heat is about the same if you ask me,though I believe the Peak heats up faster. Either TM is a great choice and are very dependable, and if you have a problem with either post it here before you take it in could be something simple. The Peak would be a perfect set up for your first TM!

Last edited:

Bart

Name
Bart
Thanks everybody for the information i'am going pass on the apex, however would Like y'all's feed back on a Boxer 421 has 125 hrs on it , are they good machines ? Do they have a enough suction ? What kind of problems might happen and when? Going to look at February 19 might be the one . This forum is great ! Thanks everybody

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Those hours are suspiciously low. I would have a lot of questions about why its being sold with so little use.

After that, make sure someone who understands these machines runs it, and that the engine, vacuum blower, pump, heat control, and chemical injection are all working. IF it only has 125 hours, they should be working great.

Is it in a truck and can you clean with it?

Reactions: dealtimeman

Bart

Name
Bart
Thanks Jim it's in a van package , after purchasing the guy deciding the business wasn't for him, Jim do you like that machine ?are prefer something different ?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm a Hydramaster distributor, so I am not giving you an unbiased opinion Bart.

The 421's have served my customers well, and they have high satisfaction ratings by my clients.

There are 421 owners on this board who can better share their first hand experiences and help you.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Oh Chris just saw your add. The guy selling his 2006 1 ton chevy 200k with all equipment for 25k

If the van is an 06' with 200K miles just realize that you are paying 25K JUST for the TM and equipment.. That van could cost A LOT of money real soon!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Clean Trade in on my van is $13,000, so you're paying $10,900 (obo) for the machine, water tank, reels, hoses, on a package that would retail for over $20k. I can't promise you a new van but I can tell you I've spent more time cleaning that truck than cleaning with it, it's had a pretty pampered existence the last three years!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Bart, I can vouch for how well Chris takes care of his equipment, and his integrity.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Chris is Top notch!

I have bought stuff from him and would again in a heart beat.

CLee

Sent from da middle of a Trailure park

Back
Top Bottom