Are Live reels really all that BAD?

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
I hear a lot about how you should not use your live reel, I really don't get it.

I first must say that I DON'T have 200 ft on my reel, I only keep about 75 ft on it because that is my average run. Personally I love it and there is no way your going to tell me that the same 75 ft of hose connected to the waste tank is better.

Straighten me out if I'm wrong!

F

FB7777

same here Jeff, all I carry on my live reel is 100' and I never left any of the vacuum hose coiled on the reel.

You will get a vacuum boost by not using it.

You will probably get more of a vacuum boost if you don't use a filter in you filter box or waste tank.

The biggest vac improvement I have found is running 2.5 inch hose
y connected with 2 inch hose to my waste tank

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
yes,but they are convienent...

Ours have large wingnuts on bottom to remove when need be...

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
I think it is more if you keep hose on the reel, We carry 300-500 ft of hose but most of the time just use 100-150 ft. So the rest of that hose would just kill the vac!

Tony

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I leave a hundred feet of hose on my Vacuum reel with the rest boxed up in the truck. I run 75 feet of solution hose from the house to my unit it that isn't going to be enough I run my live solution hose. I have 100 ft on the reel and 3 *25ft and 1 *50 ft to lay out. I usuall connect my propane heater to the machine to boost it and connect the hoses to the heater.

Greenie

If you seriously only run 75 ft on average, you will flip out at the vacuum increase that a single section of 2.5" hose will do for you and your customers, and it will fit on your reel. But no you will not run it live.

Butlers are the esiest units to pimp out, lots of potential there.

In my opinion, when Butler finally gets around to plumbing their reel a full 2.5 all the way through (and they will) they will take a forward leap in vacuum on all of their trucks, might as well, they already run 2.5" TO THE REEL NOW! lol
The inside plumbing inside the reel hub is slightly less than 2" :shock:

I was all set to re-do the reel hub, had a friends butler sitting in my drive, when I realized it's just too easy and affordable to just kill the live reel and make a secondary hookup like the rest of the industry, but make it 2.5".

Next you are going to tell me you run a 25' whip hose on a 1.5" wand...right?

Make that change to 2" flex hose all the way, and call me in the morning.

I know change can be difficult.

But... If I stuck to that mentality " there is no way your going to tell me that the same 75 ft of hose connected to the waste tank is better. " I'd still be cleaning with HOST.

F

FB7777

Greenie, I hope you can make it out to Summerfest this year at Bolden's in Indianapolis.

Butler has their demo stuff there now and love to see what you do to these trucks.

I'm an old dinosaur like Caesar, its hard to get us to change :roll:

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Actually I run your 2 inch CMP w/Greenhorn kit with the 50 ft of flex. :shock:

I really do love it.

By the way, the other day, the carpets were dry in a hour, if the dry any quicker the custy will say I never really cleaned them. :wink:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's this simple.
moving air and water through coils on reel or in a straight line.
Which do you think is more efficient and conducive to better airflow?

I can tell slight differences in air flow when hoses are piled up in a jumbled mess or whether they're stretched out in long snake like configs

75ft of hose gets us to most res and empties.
But surely not all of them.
Do you hang the rest of your hose

I'm ASSuming you carry more than 75ft??

..L.T.A.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Greenie tried to talk me into getting that 2 1/2" hose awhile ago. But I liked the live reel on my Butler and I was only running 100' of 2" hose most of the time using the 47 blower so I figured how much better could it be?
I ended up buying 50' of 2 1/2" hose for some commercial work long hose runs and couldn't believe the difference. Now I keep 75' of 2 1/2" on my Butler reel (not live) and it's my primary hose. If I need more than 75' I add 2" hose sections, either 25' or 50'. I attach the 2 1/2" hose to the 2 1/2" barb on the waste tank, it's like it was meant to be.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
when I bought my TM I was so excited to have a reel that I had 300 ft of vac hose running on every job 225' on the reel. Duh

G

Greenie said it right on the head.
I met with Butler here in Indiana... and my unit is set up about like Greenie referred to.
For a single wand unit.. i'll put my unit up against V or At..

I'm throwing tons of water.. and under an hr dry times..

and in the end of the day.. dry times are dry times.. an hour with a V or an hour with a Butler.. its still an hour.. and thats pretty damn fast.
Its amazing.. .. to 'inline' the vac hose.. get it off the reel..

Use what hose ya need.. coolcuff and downsize the vac hose as you're shortening up your need for it on the job.

Fred, I have tons of pics of my Butler.. and Butler has been here in Indiana with me.. they took notice.

It takes about 45 mins tops.. to tweak it out..
and be the recipient of all the added vac, dry times..
flush over rinse..

Its pretty silly to not make the change..
and its pretty inexpensive.

Best thing i ever did.. I'm doing the same to my other unit.. and the one I'm getting ready to order..

Greenie was right when he told me.. "Why buy an AT or V.. tweak what ya got.. and you will have the same thing''..

and I do.. just not the heat..
I can achieve lockdown very quick.. i could NOT run my Butler glideless anymore.. NEVER...
4.5'' off the tank to the 2.5'' from the Y.. taking it to the door.. and flex 2'' hose to a 2'' tubed wand..

After all the months/years contemplating it.. I beat my head off the wall..
i'm tweaking my competitors vans as I speak..
I want them to feel the difference as well. .
they have me on 'heat'.. but nothing else.

They want my unit..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom