Are you aware of the Move Over Law?

Mikey P

Administrator
New Traffic Law 2010 - Ticket cost $754.00
GOOD THING TO KNOW: New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii , Maryland and D.C. Has this law. In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.
A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out)it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.
The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law. It is true, see details at the following web address:
http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

Billy

Name
BH
Been around for quite a few years here not new to us also don't think the fine is that high here or the same rules & consequences either.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Thanks for the heads-up.

Good, common-sense practice, however, CA website sez fine not to exceed fiddy.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
has been texas law for a awhile now and actually been pulled ove4r for it. the law here states you must either change atleast one lane over or decrease speed 20 mph under speed limit.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
in utah I always thought it was pull over if at all possible, which is the right thing to do anyways. the other one is noone around here seems to understand that the inside lane is for passing. everyday I watch cars just camp out in the passing lane, all the while a steady stream of cars go by and pass them on the right. do they not teach that in drivers school?? it drives me nuts

B

Bill G. Martin

It is big here in Florida, but not sure of the amount of the fine...?? WOW....$754 bucks....you guys in California really do things up right. I would now be afraid of people trying to shift to the left too quickly to avoiding getting a ticket. Could cause a major problem.

Bill in Central Florida

T

The Magician

Beeen around in Oh about 2 yrs. New law is, wipers on headlights have to be on.

Name
Nate W.
Good thing Hawaii doesn't have that law.... At least I didn't hear of it..... We have bad rubber neckers here. If there's cops lights flashing, everyone slows down to see if they know the person...... :roll:

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I believe my wife Lisa has the distinction of having been the first Missouri driver to have received one of these tickets. What a crock. Pulling to the side of the road at times, especially at the scene of an accident can be worse than continuing forward.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
its law here in Mass. for about a year but state troopers and road construction workers are still being hit and killed by impaired drivers .
That being said, in the day time there is a considerable change of peoples driving habits around emergency/police vehicles.

Terry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom