Assistants kick ass...

Chris A

Name
Chris
3 rug deliveries, 2 smallish jobs, 2 larger jobs, and one rug cleaned, done at 2:30...

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Worth their weight in gold~ good for you Chris, now get that second truck going with a couple hard working, hungry people and really take off.

Ken

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Ken Snow said:
with a couple hard working, hungry people and really take off.
Ken

How do I find these people Ken?

My current helper is how can i put it..."slow"....I have to keep telling him do this, do that, come here, go there...and we've done a ton of jobs together. I'm paying him commission, and he is still moving at his own pace. I know I should let him go, but I rather have someone w/ me in the van than work solo, carry equipment, etc etc. Would like to find a hard working and hungry person.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Hey Tim

First thing I would do is lose the "Helper" monikor and call them an assistant or apprentise.

The old adage of "you get what you pay for" I believe also may apply, or you may be overpaying a guy who is marginal. Look around ask customers (send them a letter), see who gives you good hustling service in your daily life and make them an offer so you can let the albatross go. Pay more than a person could get at a fast food joint, or small part manufacturer (maybe 10-14 an hour equivelant) and give them the ability to have benefits i.e. health care vacation pay etc.

Ken

Chris A

Name
Chris
tmdry said:
My current helper is how can i put it..."slow"....I have to keep telling him do this, do that, come here, go there...and we've done a ton of jobs together. I'm paying him commission, and he is still moving at his own pace. I know I should let him go, but I rather have someone w/ me in the van than work solo, carry equipment, etc etc. Would like to find a hard working and hungry person.

My last guy was like that, no motivation even though he was payed pretty generously on a commission scale. This guy see's the light and we've been able to really knock out some business while maintaining kickass standards.

New truck will be ready by Spring, but I dunno how much time the TM's going to see right away, it'l be more of a back up/hosemobile/rug getter until we get some more big commercial or just get to swamped with residential.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Get it going, hire 1-2 people then market to get the work. Nothing like motivation to cover the payroll to get your juices flowing. You could be off the truck by the time your 30 if you choose.

Ken

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ken Snow said:
Get it going, hire 1-2 people then market to get the work. Nothing like motivation to cover the payroll to get your juices flowing. You could be off the truck by the time your 30 if you choose.

Ken

It's really just that easy? shiteatinggrin

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
No, it is not easy, but I believe you have the ability and skill, especially you and Steph together. A few more years your body will be telling you it's getting old, why not start working towrd that now.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ken Snow said:
No, it is not easy, but I believe you have the ability and skill, especially you and Steph together. A few more years your body will be telling you it's getting old, why not start working towrd that now.

we are, I've just been holding back a bit on big spending this year so we can (for the first time) actually build up some cash reserves. I'll be spending like a drunken sailor come spring when we get the new truck up and finish the shop/ buy some rug stuff, etc. I would really like to see Kyle out on his own some within the next couple months, I think he's more than capable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom