Astro Van Set-up and Equipment recommendation

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
New to carpet clean and need help.

I already have a great running Astro Van with a 5000 lb towing limit. I know its not the correct size van for carpet cleaning but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

I'm looking at two machines.

ProChem Bruin II discontinued model. Works good and heats over 210 consistently. 31 hp engine 47 blower. Has 5300 hours and come with waste tank, fresh water tank, hose reel, hose for $3500.

or

Very clean says low hours but unknown Judson Nitro with 33 blower little no heater $2200.

Given this would be my first truck mount. Which would be the better buy given my size limits. Going with the bigger unit and purchasing a medium sized trailer or smaller unit with smaller trailer for extra equipment.

Becker

Name
Becker
You mention tow limit. So will you be putting the machine into a trailer? If so. The bruin! Providing it checks out.

If you are installing into a van, well then. Pay no attention to your towing capacity. And don't even consider a bruin or any larger type truck mount.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The bruin will tip your van over , Nitro all day for that size van. the Bruin will cost you an arm and a leg to have repaired, the Judson is very simple and little can go wrong.
you underestimate the capacity of the Astro. The Bruin will be much more powerful and will not be a bad fit.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
If I go with the Bruin II I would mount the machine and waste tank in trailer.

If I got Nitro I'll put it in the van and use smaller trailer for equipment.

I'm not sure which is the best starting out. I know the Bruin has a bigger blower. Just not sure if it is ideal for me at the moment. Both machines run pretty well from what i can see. The Judson is clean just has a 33 blower. I found a diesel burner in a local pawn shop for $500 and can sell the little giant. Was aslo looking at vac boosters. I'm looking for some expert advise. I'm pretty good with tools and from what i can see my dad and I can keep either running.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Does the Nitro sit on a waste tank?

Plan on leaving lots of room around the Little Giant heater.

Judson sits on 66 gallon waste tank. The guy want $2200 without heater $2500 with heater.

Is a 33 blower big enough for small residential start up or would I be kicking myself for not getting something bigger? Vac booster? I just want to stop looking and start cleaning.

Name
Marcus
I have an astro with a namco 30 hp 4.5 blower. And a northern tool kero heater
Namco from houston
With a 30 gallon fresh water tank and 90 gallon waste tank
It all fits but tight fit.....
Forget the trailer and find a truckmount that will fit......
Cap

Name
Lee Stockwell
I hate TMs in trailers as much as I hate using 33 blowers. I have used both, and I've owned a a pretty tough Astro as well.

My vote is to put the Bruin in the side door.

Result: 3x the vacuum and safe trouble free heat.

Reactions: Shorty

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I would not use the judson with the 33 blower. I just don't think the 33 blower is a good choice for any sort of production. If it had a 3.6 or bigger I would say yes.

The Bruin is very heavy for an astro van. I actually wont' put a truckmount into anything that is less than 8 lug 3/4 ton van. It just ends up being hard on the brakes and transmissions. I like the bruin machine it is a workhorse and very reliable, but it wont do well out of an astro van.

If I was in your position, I would sell the astro and buy a full size van and put the bruin in it. Second option find a lighter truckmount like a boxxer 421 or smaller. either of your choices just stinks long term.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
J

JS41035

Sell the astro. 5 grand will buy you a decent cargo van. Buy the bruin. Working out of a 1 ton cargo van feels cramped. An astro would be redonkulous. Just sell it.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I hate TMs in trailers as much as I hate using 33 blowers. I have used both, and I've owned a a pretty tough Astro as well.

My vote is to put the Bruin in the side door.

Result: 3x the vacuum and safe trouble free heat.
I'm think Bruin and waste tank at the back door and hose reel out the side. I've only got 58 inches from wall to side door and 88 inches from the front seat to the back door.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
I used a 33 blower for a few years on residentials. 90% of my hose runs were 100' or less. I used 2" hose all the way from blower to titanium wand with a glide. Worked really well. I still have it in a 2003 ford e250 extended as my backup.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I used a 33 blower for a few years on residentials. 90% of my hose runs were 100' or less. I used 2" hose all the way from blower to titanium wand with a glide. Worked really well. I still have it in a 2003 ford e250 extended as my backup.

Did you ever clean at 150 ft or 200 with your 33 blower? If so how did it handle? I see some manufactures advertise 250 ft with a 33 blower.(Panther 14)
Still only 190 Cfm and 15 inches of lift....I know these numbers don't add up. How much further would a vac booster like the Thor Hammer help with hose runs and dry times?

Name
Marcus
Get the largest engine with at least 4.5-4.7. Blower
I upgrade my 25 hp to a 30 hp them to a 33 hp
Should have got the 35 hp...cannot have too much torque and vacuum
More vacuum less dry strokes and less work

Back
Top Bottom