Back pac vacuuns

kevinj61

Does anyone use a back pack vacuum and if so do you think they are better than using a standard upright like a dyson for example

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
kevinj61 said:
Does anyone use a back pack vacuum and if so do you think they are better than using a standard upright like a dyson for example

Backpack vacuums don't worth crap in our industry. If you are in the business to clean carpets- forget about a backpack vacuum!!!

janitrex

Have to say I disagree, there are some great backpack vacs with powerheads that clean as well if not better than a good upright. You also have to look at versatility as well with a backpack just put on a hard floor brush and vacuum hard floors prior to cleaning etc, not to mention stairs and upholstery. I will say that the standard backpacks with just the straight suction tool arent meant for vacuuming plush style carpets. They are built for efficient vacuuming in commercial setting with little to no pile. We do a lot of speciality cleaning maid services etc and we love the backpacks with the powerhead and wouldnt go back to an upright. But those are typically only used for cleaning houses and janitorial work. We still use a typical upright for most carpet cleaning jobs. Dysons are crap go to any vacuum repair store and they will tell you the same thing. Dyson requires any repair facility to buy their tool kit just to work on their machines. I also believe if your in the business you should use a vacuum your customers cant go and buy at walmart etc. Hope this makes sense.

Here is a link to the model we use.
http://www.vacdepot.com/product-info/cisp/11.21.51.895

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
janitrex said:
I They are built for efficient vacuuming in commercial setting with little to no pile.

That is exactly where it fails- big time!

On a commercial carpet where you really need a digging action of a brushroll and the ability to see what's coming up? That's where you absolutely need an upright. (not bagged)

A backpack maybe good for picking up loose trash on the top of the carpet but it sure is not the vac cleaner to remove fine dust and particles from a commercial carpet.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I use ProTeam backpacks for commercial janitorial services.

They are strong, and have great qualities. Faster, lighter, hit corners well, and pickup most debris.

However, when it comes to carpet with pile, they aren't the best. Brushes will agitate everything enough for the suction to pick up what it needs to. I have several customers that know we use backpacks, and insist that we use uprights in their establishments.

One of these customers who said that told me to use their Dyson. I was quite impressed with it. It didn't have a beater bar (brushes) and allowed to go from hard floor to carpet without getting hung up. It also didn't mark the floor that other commercial vacs do.

janitrex

[That is exactly where it fails- big time! /quote]
Yes on thicker pile carpets. That is why I reccomended the backpack with power head. If you havent used one then dont knock it. They are awesome. The proteam vacs are the best made imo. Great quality and great suction. I think the guys who have never done commercial janitorial dont see the value in them, but in school setting with lots of desks etc that is where they shine. They arent deep cleaners and they werent meant to be, once a week come in and vac with an upright to remove the ground in soil etc. I think every cleaner should have at least one backpack to do hard floors, upholstery and stairs. And bagless vacs suck, the only ones that are half decent are the sanitaire and hoover conquest.

randy

Name
Randy
We use Oreck backpacks with a power brush attachment and get great results. That being said, Zalan is correct, without a power brush/beater bar a backpack is pretty worthless on carpet. With a power brush it is a very versatile tool without I'm not sure what you would use it for.

Name
steve snail
kevinj61 said:

Two totally different animals...you should own both. Use the back pack for detail vacuuming on commercial jobs and take it to the next level...more $$$

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom