Backlash on the hose reel is driving me crazy!

tim

Whenever I pull vacuum hose off the reel (not live) I get a backlash that takes 5 minutes to straighten out! If I go slow or have someone guide, it is much better but there has to be a way to prevent it. What am I doing wrong? Seems like there should be something that prevents this and makes winding the hose go smoother. If it is wrapped right, no problem but if it gets overlapped, the hose starts to "bottom out" on the bottom of the van. Usually have to unwind all but 1 section to start over.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Yes, hose over reduces that. I have a similar problem though, and I think it's just because I have cheap hoses. (They are not bendy enough) and these hoses have not gotten that many hours of use. (My machine is at 1500hrs) I know that at the last company I worked at the two machines I used had 5700hrs and 6600hrs. Those hoses (The orange kind) were very flexible. My hoses, (The gray and blue kind) suck.

Al

You could raise the reel with a couple of 2 x4's under the stand, so it wont bottom out.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Al said:
You could raise the reel with a couple of 2 x4's under the stand, so it wont bottom out.

The hose would probably still hit the cross piece on the reel. I understand what gary is trying to say about hoses needing broke in, but I disagree with that slightly. My new machine has about 500 hours on it, and my hoses real up perfectly and they are brand new.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I never just grab the end of the hose and walk away with it. I always pull it off and lay it over my arm one section at a time. You won't have a backlash this way.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Shane T said:
I never just grab the end of the hose and walk away with it. I always pull it off and lay it over my arm one section at a time. You won't have a backlash this way.

I do it this way too, but I have had hose and reels that just spin so freely that they are like a bad fishing experiment gone wrong.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have worked out of a variety of vehicles over the years, reels that are mounted high off the ground like in a box truck seem to have more issues because the weight of the hose just keeps unwinding them, my reel now is low mounted in a trailer, no issues I do however take a bungee and pull the cuff tight and secure it to one of the reel spokes. so that the hose will not unwind while driving down the road.

G

When I bought my Bluewave about a year and a half ago the hose was so stiff it did this. I think it was cheap hose. I finally bought new flexible hose from Greenglides and the problem has been solved forever. Not to mention the fact that its SO much easier to work with in the customer's house.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I would also get some of Greenie's hose, the 2.5" I have is very easy to work with

every time I have bought a machine I have kept my old hose, can't stand the new hose that comes with the new machines

I also do as Shane does and carry the first 50' into the house

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man, I completely misunderstood his post and got way out in left field on this thread. I was thinking he was complaining about the hose coming apart at the cuff as he was unreeling it. And, I thought he was complaining pf the cuff's also coming apart inside the roll as he rolled it up.

I was gonna be real bright and tell him to get some hose cuffs.

I hate it when I have a smart attack that turns out to just be gas.

Greenie

Shane T said:
but I have had hose and reels that just spin so freely that they are like a bad fishing experiment gone wrong.

There is the problem, so now to get on with fixin' it.

You just need a friction block, why all reels don't have em I will never know.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I oiled my solution reel a month or two ago and now the thing is still spinning when I come outside after finishing the freakin job.

And there's a 200 ft. pile of solution line piled up behind my truck.

What the hell's a friction block?

And please tell me I don't have to buy it from Odin or Joe B. (Siamese twins.)

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
Man, I completely misunderstood his post and got way out in left field on this thread. I was thinking he was complaining about the hose coming apart at the cuff as he was unreeling it. And, I thought he was complaining pf the cuff's also coming apart inside the roll as he rolled it up.

I was gonna be real bright and tell him to get some hose cuffs.

I hate it when I have a smart attack that turns out to just be gas.

Finally the truth is out.....

tim

yes, what is a friction block and where do I get one? It sounds exactly like what I need. As others have said, the reel will sometimes spin as you start pulling off the hose and you cant stop it fast enough!

R

R W

I donno....I pull the hose, it comes off as I need it. I roll it up (top over, just like toliet paper), by just pushing the button. The electric motor provides enough friction to keep the reel manageable.

Of course, sometimes something falls against the on/off button, and it stars rolling while I'm driving. Thats always a thrill.....

Greenie

R W said:
I donno... The electric motor provides enough friction to keep the reel manageable.

Exactly.

A friction block can easily be made, it's just a block of plastic that uses a screw mechanism to apply pressure to the hub or rail of the reel.

On the elec. hose reel....Every unit ever sold should have one, that friggen manual reel is a time waster, kinda counter productive to the whole "truckmount is more efficient" concept.

Your reels don't have a lock? Friction block can also be on the shaft. That is the way ours is. However I only take 50 ft off at a time unless doing comm with long runs. Then usually all the hose comes off as we pull it.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Oh ... you know you didn't know what it was either, you spic. :p

And from Green Bean's explanation, it sounds more like a Canadian glide salesman's invention. :roll:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have the friction block (or brake) on my vac hose reel. It is adjustable.

When adjusted properly it puts just enough "drag" on the reel that when you stop pulling it stops dumping hose off the reel.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Man, I wish I had this problem. My real gives me a workout any time I have to roll the hose back up. Ask Kirk.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
When i spin my hose off the reel, i play a little game where i stop it spinning exactly where the cuff is...my reel spins lik the Wheel of Fortune Wheel......!

Back
Top Bottom