Bad residual smoke odour

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
We have a large garage fire that is presenting a residual odour problem for us.

Near new garage approx 500sq ft with an 8' stud and reasonably tall pitch, maybe 30 degrees.

The client emptied out the ash from teh bottom of the fire place and placed the ash into 'something' (I don't know) and placed it on his trailer in his garage. 21 hours later, at 6am in the morning, his neighbour woke him up to the smoke escaping from his garage and the beginnings of small flames.

Also on the trailer was a heap of grass clippings.

So, we have ashes and grass clippings that have smouldered for 21 hours= organic matter in an o2 starved fire.

The construction is timber framing with a bitumen impregnated building paper lining the garage. The floor is new concrete.

We've used a combination of wet and dry cleaning. The concrete will not respond at all and so he'll possibly have to either etch and seal or grind the marking off.

The timber framing has been thoroughly dry sponged and then in the worse areas wet cleaned as well.

The building paper has been dry sponged and they spcifically requested no wet cleaning (I can't work that one out!!) but they agreed to us spraying a contact odour neutraliser if we need to :roll:

We set the carona oxone generator and ran for 36 hours and aired the building. Little to nil improvement. We added our second uv tube ozone generator and ran them both for 48 hours and still no go.

I have options to thermal fog, saturation spray (what with?) or Vapour sharks.

I'll be thermally fogging another fire job this afternoon and being pretty close together, I may just do it anyway to see if it helps but I doubt it.

My thoughts at this stage is saturation spraying but I'm not sure which chem to use.

On protein fires, I've had good success wet spraying Double O, but this is organic matter. Or should I go for the likes of 9D( with a touch of last resort in it?

Finally, I have also used a deodorising pre sealer for lightly affected timber framing, would that work here on the bitumen paper?

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
John
You have a lot of porus materials and a lot of time for it to absorb into them.

9-D-9 would work good as contact spray, but I don't think it is the cure.

Can you soda blast the timbers? The waste soda will start to work on the concrete and when you get to blasting it, it should clean up easily.

It may also get rid of your residual odor or it should at least knock it down to where your Ozone can take care of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom