Bathroom Re-Model

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I am in the initial planning for a master bath remodel. I want to trash the crappy tract house fixtures, push back the back wall of the house 3 feet or so and install a nice walk in shower, the kind with no doors and no threshold. Also one of those awesome bidet toilets and maybe even a dog/baby wash station.

For the shower and bathroom floor I was considering tumbled granite because it is non-slip and pretty impervious. with polished granite tiles on the walls of the shower and half way up the rest of the bathroom. What do you guys think? Is there anything better for showers than granite? I don't want to seal and have to hire one of you to clean it all the time. Also not too big on grout. What do you recommend?

Take care,
Lisa

Name
Nate W.
The bidet will double as a drinking fountain for the dogs....... :lol:

I see them in higher end homes here as well as Japanese peoples homes... I never used one...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Slate is less porous than granite. Look alikes made of porcelain or glass can be easier to maintain.

Spend the money you save on epoxy grout.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Granite is like leather, the more you learn a little about it, the less you consider it "easy care."

I'll leave the event planning to professionals as well.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
My granite countertop has been no care since 1998. But I chose a granite without movement.

I've never seen slate in a shower. Does it etch from the acid cleaners?

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
most slates wont etch but all the ridges and crevices will load up with hard water deposits and soap scum

and it will shale away and look like crap in no time.

meAt is right, "rectified" (precision cut) Porcelain is the way to go.
Just find a qualified tile setter who can do a 1/16th grout line.

Stay way from any natural stone.

Mikey P

Administrator
along those lines, see if Motel 6 will sell you one of their time travel stalls..

motel-6-shower-stall.jpg

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I dont know why you would waste as much space as motel 6 does. Ever seen a cruise ship bathroom? The toilet, sink, counter, and shower could all fit in your shower. It is hard to find a good picture... the sink is right behind where the picture is being taken... just attached a sink picture as well. the toilets are amazing. You wouldn't even need a beday, that thing has enough suction when you flush it no germs are left behind. Better be sure you dont seal to the seat when you flush it either, that thing would flip you inside out in no time.
IMG_2217-Large.jpg
DSC00316.jpg

Name
Brad Gouveia
If you put enough heads and hand wands in the shower no need for a dog station take them in the regular shower.

I would also recommend an infinity drain they are very popular in high end shower now days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom