Battery for your tm!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Just a couple questions...............

Why do several truckmounts have separate batteries in the back of tha van? What's the point of this?

Mine is ran off my van battery, so less maintenance, more room in the van.. My tm even charges my van battery........... Unless i am missing something, why don't all manufacturers do this? To expensive??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
because my unit is in a trailer, so I need a battery. I do highly recommend getting rid of the tiny battery and getting a full sized one. I have also had to use the truck mount battery to jump start the van before.

K

Kabluey

I think all slide ins require batteries. Its a closed system that uses the TM to charge the battery. It seems like alot less hassle than rewiring into your van engine.

K

Kabluey

joeynbgky said:
TCS wired mine up to the van battery.. not sure why.. But it sure is handy!

Yeah you should go back and see how much you paid for that.............$

Ryan

Kabluey said:
joeynbgky said:
TCS wired mine up to the van battery.. not sure why.. But it sure is handy!

Yeah you should go back and see how much you paid for that.............$

They ran 6 foot of extra wire and drilled two holes. Probably cheaper then paying for a separate TM battery.

I can pull start my TM if need be. :shock:

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

IMO using the van battery is a better set up. But an amp meter must be installed on the machine to be sure it's charging, and it costs way more than a separate battery. So most have a separate battery.

Dale

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We install all TM's (except trailers) wired to the truck battery.

It takes a little more time to run the cable, and put it a wire loom for protection.

It eliminates another item which requires maintenance.

One other benefit, is that you have two independent charging systems if one fails.

Larry

P.S. Good job Chan @TCS.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I prefer seperate (full-size) batteries.

If "somebody" leaves the ignition on in the tm overnight you can jump from the van battery.

If "somebody" leaves the van lights on you can jump from the tm.

Not that I've ever done that.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, I didn't pay anything extra for that... Actually my complete install was free, except for the fuel tap parts. I think if Larry does it that was as well, then that's the way to go.. Much less maintenance. And I can use my big yellow flashing light that goes on my roof for night time cleaning, without worrying about running my battery down!

K

Kabluey

Thats cool, I guess if you buy a machine from the manufacturer they do free installs with the free wiring. I am thinking if you put that in a new van or sell it to someone they would have to pay the wiring setup. I like using a prespray you probably dont like, so it all good if you prefer a machine with or without the battery.

I like my 2 batteries...

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I might like 2 batteries too, but I dont know cause I have never tried it. really lol we are all used to what we are used to.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Johnny said:
I prefer seperate (full-size) batteries.

If "somebody" leaves the ignition on in the tm overnight you can jump from the van battery.

If "somebody" leaves the van lights on you can jump from the tm.

Not that I've ever done that.

I have. It comes in handy having two batteries. Its not that expensive and if something goes wrong I can still drive away.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
If you gys are worried about your van battery dying, buy a new one! OMG. This is the last thing I ever worry about in any car, why? cause I check and replace when needed..........

Get a battery jump box and keep in the van, I do just to jump start people we see in trouble.

Or get AAA

Name
Lee Stockwell
New batteries can go flat. Usually when I'm working on a project in the van and leave the lights and radio on to go inside for a few minutes. The bulletin boards beckon, then bedtime. In the morning...dead battery.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, Lee my vans lights, radio and everything go off after 20 minutes automatically... its called battery rundown protection.... If I want them back on i hit the button on the door....... Lee its time to upgrade to the 90,s or 2000's models.... Your so 1980 ish lol:)

K

Kabluey

Thats great Joey, sounds like you dont need a second battery. To answer your question the slide in have batteries so you dont have to spend the extra money getting it wired whenever the TM changes hands. Which is a lot in this industry.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I understand that, makes sense! But My TM wil never leave my van!! There both going to go untill they are dead and are both useless!! Of course they will both stay as new and shiny looking as possible untill there death! Lee my 2000 explorer had it so does my 97 astro... Maybe yours is broke :)

Amazing

LOL,

Hope your TM never drops a ground on the alternator, or the TM alternator goes out, or some other charging issue.
Even more so once the van battery starts to get weak.

Machine running and not sending juice back to battery will drain it in a hurry.

Small battery for TM does not cost to much, and lasts years and years.

I'd prefer a battery for the TM..

But it seems to be no right way.. Just a preferred way.
Kinda like over under on the TP... Over duh, and battery for TM..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom