Battery over charging ?

clean one

I have to keep a eye on the water level in the battery like 2 or 3 weeks. Then about 3 months or so i have to replace the battery. If i run the machine for like 2 hrs or more at a time i can see the water being pushed out of the over flow on the battery. And can smell it, but on most jobs when the machine is only run 30 to 50 mins its ok. Its a 18 HP B&S I just put another battery in today that is the 3rd one this year.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
voltage regulator.......

may be on the machine somewhere or built into the alternator..........would be the first place I looked..

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Yes definitely the voltage regulator had the same problem should be on the side of the engine. no big deal $20.00.

clean one

That was along my line of thinking it is that little square box right looks like its gel filled

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
clean one said:
That was along my line of thinking it is that little square box right looks like its gel filled

Yep, Two wires coming out of it, You can get it from most lawn mower repair shops.

C

Chris Sheldon

If your engine is a Briggs Vangaurd engine, that regulator will cost more than $20.

But that is definitely the culprit!

clean one

Re: Battery over charging ? not the voltage reg

OK thats not the problem and yes they are 75.00 , i took the one off my nitro and tried it. I crank it up it goes to 14 volts pull the throttle to full and watch volt gauge and all of a sudden it goes pass 16 volts.

What would be the next thing to try

Couple of questions.
What machine is this briggs on?
Is this a new battery and fully charged before you installed it?

I am thinking the magnet in the stator is bad and putting out to much juice.
If the regulator that you put on was the correct one.

clean one

This is the 4th battery this year. I checked the ac volts from the stator it was 30 volts @ full throttle.
When i run it about half throttle its around 14 volts to battery when i use full throttle it goes to 25 volts coming out of the regulator. I put the one from my nitro on an it does the same thing i guess i'll just have to try a new regulator or just unhook red wire while cleaning.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
clean one said:
This is the 4th battery this year. I checked the ac volts from the stator it was 30 volts @ full throttle.
When i run it about half throttle its around 14 volts to battery when i use full throttle it goes to 25 volts coming out of the regulator. I put the one from my nitro on an it does the same thing i guess i'll just have to try a new regulator or just unhook red wire while cleaning.

What kind of machine is it ?

C

Chris Sheldon

clean one said:

Are you checking DC voltage coming out of the regulator?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if a battery keeps over charging the only things it could be are the voltage regulator or the alternator.....

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Jim Martin said:
if a battery keeps over charging the only things it could be are the voltage regulator or the alternator.....

Is there a separate altenater on this machine? Some have them some don't if not there is a small one inside the engine. But, thats more involved than what you can do yourself.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Re: Battery over charging ? not the voltage reg

clean one said:
OK thats not the problem and yes they are 75.00 , i took the one off my nitro and tried it. I crank it up it goes to 14 volts pull the throttle to full and watch volt gauge and all of a sudden it goes pass 16 volts.

What would be the next thing to try

That's crazy, I never paid that kind of money for a voltage regulator, Haven't bought one in a cuople of years but, they were only $20.00 When I uesd to buy them.

clean one

OK i found not far from me online for 44.00 installed it on sunday works great only charges 14 volts now. I'm sure that is what was burning up the fuel pumps too,

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
clean one said:
OK i found not far from me online for 44.00 installed it on sunday works great only charges 14 volts now. I'm sure that is what was burning up the fuel pumps too,

Happy to hear it, I knew it had to be the voltage regulator. I always check online for parts too, I found a $600 water pump for $300 :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom