bearing trouble

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I replaced the original bearings in my belt tensioner with new ones. I'm having a problem now that the grease spins out by the end of the day. I didn't keep the original bearings to look at but I did tell the bearing shop to give me exact replacements. I just put in another pair that have a rubber seal to help keep the grease in but It is still coming out, just slower. What could be the problem. Everything is the same except the bearing.

Gene

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
you prolly got cheap CHINESE......won't last long.
jap is way better...

ohh...ALWAYS save your box or at least the flap ends...
of every thing you buy.......

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The difference between the visual appearance of shielded versus sealed bearing is sometimes subtle. Both can have an elastomeric (rubber) seal like appearance. Make sure you have sealed bearings, and not just shielded.

A sealed bearing retains the grease packing, while a shielded bearing simply protects the bearing from contamination.

Country of origin can definitely have an impact on what might be the longevity (better materials, higher tolerances), but usually is not an indicator as to whether the bearing is sealed or shielded. Sealed or shielded is a attribute that is specified, and indicated in the model/size number.

Irrespective of bearing type, no bearing should be squeezing out the factory lube. Excess grease will purge, but that is done before packaging. It is normal however for a user greased bearing to purge for a time after packing/greasing.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the one that just went in has a rubber seal. It is supposed to retain the grease. A little still came out but monday will be the test since I don't work on weekends. I wish I had looked at the original a little closer and kept the numbers but it did have a metal shield so I doubt it was sealed. I was thinking maybe I was supposed to use one with a higher heat range but a search shows the same range for almost all of this type.

Gene

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
gene... a sealed bearing will not typically have a grease fitting.. that is the easiest way to tell if its sealed. or un sealed..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I always save the old bearing, because sometimes it is the best way to seat the new one properly

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Whatever the problem was it disappeared. The new bearing is sealed and leaked a little after the first few hours but now seems fine. Maybe the last bearing was defective. I'm going to pick up an infrared thermometer because it's cool and I can check for problems.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom