belt adjustment performer 405 govenor

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I know there is a simple solution I am missing, but. I bought a performer 405 that was a not completely reassembled after an engine change. I can't figure out how to install and tighten the belt on the governor. There doesn't appear to be any adjustments at all on the thing. So those with the machine, or had one in the past, how do you install and adjust the belt on the governor?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Check with Lee Stockwell....moderator of this forum......he's had a few 405's. I have one sitting in the shop, I'll go take a look at it.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
ok, thank you for all the replies. To be clear the governor is mounted on the machine with the factory bracket. The issue I have is belt adjustment. It does not have a sliding adjustment that I am used to seeing on accessories mounted on engines. I could just roll the belt on the governor, but I am surprised there is not adjustment.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
This photo (from Jon-Don) shows slotted mounting holes. Maybe they revised the bracket? Could someone elongate the holes in an older bracket? I think I see the same slots in Larry's photo....

View attachment 3968

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dan;

Those slots make sense for adjustment.

I didn't see any adjustment of the governor in the brackets.

I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

The radiator is right in front of the belt.

Larry

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If I were a betting man, I would bet that if you temporarily threaded a bolt into the tapped hole (arrow in the pic) and loosened the mounting bolts (assuming the holes are slotted) that you could tension the belt by tightening the temporary bolt. It appears to me that is the intended function of that tapped hole.

View attachment 3969

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
that bracket doesn't look like mine. I looked all over and it doesn't have any adjustments at all. I will just roll the belt on.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Well, sorry I wasn't much help. I have never seen a machine designed with no tension adjustment. I would have expected more from a big manufacturer...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I have 2 405's one with 9800 hour original belt on governor another with over 3k hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: JS41035

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Hi guys, old thread but just need some clarification - I too need to replace the alternator belt, but need to get the governor belt off and back on to be able to fit the alternator belt over the pulley. How do you 'jump' the belt on and off?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom