Best manufacturer of the Vortex?

DavidM

Being that there have been several mfg. of the vortex prior to Blue Wave who was the best and the worst Etc? and why.
I am interested in a used unit.
Thank you in advance.
Dave.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I really don't have a great deal of knowledge on the used subject but I would talk to Jim Martin. He is a great source of information

from what I researched before I bought a new one, the FMI built unit unless you can get a used BlueLine model. They all have some type of minor problem

Name
Al
I for one can vote on this one. Except for the new Blue Line I have owned everyone and my vote is the Peterson hydraulic unit. Yes the truck itself, Bering went out of business, was great at first, then you could not find parts. I have switched my unit over to a FUSO and it is back to being great. Best built tanks and reels. Hottest maintained water. The Venturi (SP) units had to be the worst, that one I sold. This year's Blue line looks good only time will tell.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
of course aerotech, IMO petersen was the worst, I promised shawn I would not say anything bad anymore, so I will not comment as to why, but I have a suspicion if you asked shawn himself he would agree with my opinion.

Mikey P

Administrator
The Aerotech units are full of problems.

I bet 80% of the fresh tanks leak.

EDV's fail all the time. Lots of Galvenizied metal where it should not be.

THe FMIs are no better really. Louder too.

All of it can be fixed but the Blue Line made units (that I doubt you can find a used one yet) are far superior.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
al I am not gonna go there, but I will tell you to go ask shawn and report back what he says

Walt

I have had both an 2004 Aerotec and 2004 FMI built truck at the same time for several months. I was able to compare them pretty closely.

To start - both were really nice machines.

Aerotec was quieter (had a better silencer). FMI has a little better fit and finish. For instance there were several parts on the Aerotec that were made out of aluminum that FMI made out of Stainless Steel - notably the cover for the blower belts.

The FMI truck got hotter than the Aerotec. The FMI would go to 270+ no problem. The Aerotec would never break 255 no matter what I did. I think it has something to do with the zentherm transfer pump. I checked this with a lie detector. From what I was told the HXs on the FMI trucks are a little bigger and hold about 2 quarts more zentherm.

The electrical connections on the FMI truck were built with a wiring harness so you can change the front panel with with a simple switch out. Aerotec was hardwired and would require some serious work to change it out from what I can tell.

Both historically had fresh water tank leaks . Not a big deal really - just needed a different type of welds were needed. BlueLine payed for this on many a machine.

BlueLine has had some problems with there machines too. There are a couple of owners out here who have had a small problem or two - leaky heat exchanger/gauge sensor issues. BlueLine from what I can tell handled these problems quickly. They seem to be a real stand up company committed to quality.

The older Aerotecs I have seen up and close (the ones with the galvanized tanks) are really beat up. Of these, I haven't spoken with one owner who hasn't replaced or deleted HXs. Many seem to have had there blowers replaced. I believe this has to do with crappy maintenance and/or the way the blower was mounted. All the ones I've seen had 5009 blowers.

Thats all I got. I hope it helps.

DavidM

Thanks for the info if anyone has any further comments please add.
Thanks, Dave

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you are looking for the best machine...go to the parts store and get everything you need and build your own...sell it to 500 guys..300 will find something wrong.....100 will demand there money back and run your name into the ground and the other 100 will be totally clueless to what is going on and as long as it starts they will be OK....

Point being ..there is not one......you could line them all up and find something wrong some where....

stayed away from the first built...they needed to evolve and grow ...get all the bugs worked out...there are a bunch of them still sitting along the waste side....

start looking more toward higher center....a lot of the bugs were worked out but there were some issues that could be easily changed and not really effect to much...I tried to stay away from the ones that started changing to much.....and getting to complicated.... 2003 to 2005 seem to be decent units.....still not perfect and have a few issues....over come those and you will have a great machine at the fraction of the cost....

What manufactures are not under standing (with the exception of Judson ) is they have to keep these machines simple....we don't have time for all the bells, whistles and sirens and BS...Pretty does not clean carpet....dependable will get you further....to much fluffy just adds up to much down time.....

I am at the point here pretty soon where I have to decide on what I want to do with my company....

Do I want to put some one in the cab with me or do I want to get another truck and branch out and cover more of this little dust bowl town I live in.....If I decide to get another one and I can't find a decent one between a 2003 and 2005.... I will be talking to Judson.............any above and below those years are just to complicated to play with...........

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Jim Martin said:
If you are looking for the best machine...go to the parts store and get everything you need and build your own...sell it to 500 guys..300 will find something wrong.....100 will demand there money back and run your name into the ground and the other 100 will be totally clueless to what is going on and as long as it starts they will be OK....

Point being ..there is not one......you could line them all up and find something wrong some where....

stayed away from the first built...they needed to evolve and grow ...get all the bugs worked out...there are a bunch of them still sitting along the waste side....

start looking more toward higher center....a lot of the bugs were worked out but there were some issues that could be easily changed and not really effect to much...I tried to stay away from the ones that started changing to much.....and getting to complicated.... 2003 to 2005 seem to be decent units.....still not perfect and have a few issues....over come those and you will have a great machine at the fraction of the cost....

What manufactures are not under standing (with the exception of Judson ) is they have to keep these machines simple....we don't have time for all the bells, whistles and sirens and BS...Pretty does not clean carpet....dependable will get you further....to much fluffy just adds up to much down time.....

I am at the point here pretty soon where I have to decide on what I want to do with my company....

Do I want to put some one in the cab with me or do I want to get another truck and branch out and cover more of this little dust bowl town I live in.....If I decide to get another one and I can't find a decent one between a 2003 and 2005.... I will be talking to Judson.............any above and below those years are just to complicated to play with...........

so true, to be fair those older vortexs usually have more than a few hours on them, It really comes down to the operator and how they care for the machine, a lot of people think prochems are way too complicated, I know my machine and its not complicated to me, however I do replace things from time to time, hopefully before it breaks, I think its also made a huge difference that I have been the only one to run my machine for the most part.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Jim Martin said:

Just move to Orlando and start over. Won't need a second unit for a year or two........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
About 2 years ago I sat from 3 am until 7 am in the rain and freezing cold to be in line to get my daughter into one of the best schools here in town......I made it by 2 people....

If it was not for that and my ill parents......I would of already been there...Orlando was a great place...I loved it there

Mikey P

Administrator
I have to wonder if the BL 7000 units will go down as the best ever

FMI had the Marshal Stack "Silencer" as their black eye, AeroTech had the 99% failed fresh tank issue, the 800Q's have the last step HX killing the blower.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I have never owned or operated a vortex so I may be talking out my ass, BUT....

If I were to design "my" vortex, I would scrap the heat exchangers, diverters, xentherm, electronic controlers and all of that crap.
Install a blower, pump, chem pump, and oil fired heater.

Use as few switches as possible and possibly go with a poly fresh tank like fosters.

You could have whatever heat you want whenever you want it, with very few problems. Will it burn more fuel...who cares?!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
there was a guy trying to sell a 6008 on ebay motors. it didn't sell. try giving him a call it looked very clean and had low hours . all the info to contact him was in the post, another good one one the chopping block.

gene

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Mikey P said:
I have to wonder if the BL 7000 units will go down as the best ever

FMI had the Marshal Stack "Silencer" as their black eye, AeroTech had the 99% failed fresh tank issue, the 800Q's have the last step HX killing the blower.[

A

amazingcleansc

How about a Zero Rez truck for 20 grand thats based on a Chevy Kodiac with a V8 Diesel and 400 gallon freshwater tank?

That is like a vortex on crack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom