Best Sofa Cleaning Product

dereknazzal

Name
Derek
Hello, I own a sofa store and I am searching for the best cleaning product to recommend for my customers. I have use a handful of products and can't find that one that works well enough to recommend as the go to solution. This would be for fabrics that are 100% polyester and cleaning code S. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Consumer user friendly?

Welcome to Mikeys Board : )

Home of where you should network with a local cleaner in your area from here to achieve the most satisfying cleaning ever seen. And to help Pimp those Sofas ur selling !

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Ohhh jeez,

The last thing we as cleaners need is a client trying to spot clean their sofa's.

You should be telling your client to leave it the heck alone.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ohhh jeez,

The last thing we as cleaners need is a client trying to spot clean their sofa's.

You should be telling your client to leave it the heck alone.

Is that is why a lot of carpet cleaners give a customer a bottle of spot cleaner with their name printed on it as a leave behind promotion.:oldrolleyes: Derek you can do the same thing and that is get 8 0z. bottles printed up with your name on it and give it to each client with their purchase. They will love you for it. The guys on this board could set you up with all the info you need for this but from the direction this thread is taking it sound like they are just going to tell you to take a hike. Google "VonSchrader" and explain what you are trying to accomplish. Their general spot remover is powerfull and SAFE for all furniture and carpet. It will not set stains that need a stain specific treatments. For these types of stains they are better off to leave it to a professional. It also does not need to be neutralized. However it will be much more costly than the typical spot removers that most Carpet Cleaners are giving away in their custom printed bottles. Hope this Helps

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'm done

Anyone interested in a TM ? Not Cheap!

J/K : )

Shock collar Fred! Use it !

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Derek,
There are multiple issues that may happen when the consumer try to spot or clean upholstery by themselves.

We give a free spotter to all our clients, however it says absolutely nothing about upholstery. Why? The chances of them damaging their furniture, far exceed the chances of solving the issue.

Here are some of the issues:

• They will create a water ring. The dissolved soil will form a ring around the stain (there's a technique for it called feathering.)
  • They will spread the stain around and transfer a substantial amount of soil into the filling material. Therefore the stain will wick back. So from a relatively small problem, now it will become much more of an issue and much more complicated to correct.
  • Fiber distortion or damage due to bad technique.
  • Yes, you're correct- "100% polyester and cleaning code S" is durable, hardy, most likely solution dyed fabric that is less likely to be damaged by their spotter. Are they only going to use it on that specific fabric?

And many more issues like: What exactly are they leaving on the fabric once they are done? How healthy or unhealthy is it? Will it contribute to re-soiling? Etc. etc.
Also when you provide them with that "cleaner" it implies that they can do it and may carry some liabilities for you. We see alot of damage done to upholstery by consumers and many times, once the damage was done, it is permanent. Even if you're not liable, do you want to be associated with a negative result in their mind?

Upholstery cleaning requires a lot more knowledge, technique, the right tools and experience than carpet cleaning.

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
There are multiple issues that may happen when the consumer try to spot or clean upholstery by themselves.

We give a free spotter to all our clients, however it says absolutely nothing about upholstery. Why? The chances of them damaging their furniture, far exceed the chances of solving the issue.

Here are some of the issues:

• They will create a water ring. The dissolved soil will form a ring around the stain (there's a technique for it called feathering.)
  • They will spread the stain around and transfer a substantial amount of soil into the filling material. Therefore the stain will wick back. So from a relatively small problem, now it will become much more of an issue and much more complicated to correct.
  • Fiber distortion or damage due to bad technique.
  • Yes, you're correct- "100% polyester and cleaning code S" is durable, hardy, most likely solution dyed fabric that is less likely to be damaged by their spotter. Are they only going to use it on that specific fabric?

What he said...

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Spot cleaning upholstery is a tricky thing to do. A lot of times it can leave a ring, cause dis coloration, etc. I would not recommend spot cleaning to anybody but a professional.

Best thing to do is get together with a local professional cleaner to refer the work too and vice versa

Reactions: KevinL

dereknazzal

Name
Derek
Thanks for the feedback

Umm
me thinks it was legit from the git go and wentW. A. Y.left field fast.

Thanks for all the feedback. I always gets nervous when customers ask how to clean their sofa because I am always afraid they will make it worse. And that is why I haven't sold cleaning products with my own name on it so customers hold me accountable for when they make their stain worse. I do have a few more questions.

What is the best way to get out a water ring in polyester?

Can my customer take the cushion to a dry cleaners?

And if I were to shop around for a local cleaner to make house calls to clean a stain for a customer when necessary what would be a fair price?

Thanks again for all your help,

Derek

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

Contact a professional in upholstery cleaning that knows the fabric and how to safely remove water rings in poly;

Yes they can, however the dry cleaner may also refuse to attempt to clean it for reasons known only to that particular dry cleaner.

Many dry cleaners are also laundries, so they may remove the stain but also shrink the fabric which will then have round corners making it difficult to replace the foam/feathers/whatever, inside the cushion cover.

Over time, this shrinkage could also put stress on the seams and zipper with the end result of
the fabric tearing apart.

And if I were to shop around for a local cleaner to make house calls to clean a stain for a customer when necessary what would be a fair price?

How much would a fair price be for a sofa including delivery??
All jobs have a different price depending on the circumstances.

Derek

Your welcome.

:yoda:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I think our Aussie comrade just nailed it.

On cushions, most covers come off and can be thrown in the wash machine :) not all!

For everything else it is best left to a Pro.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks for all the feedback. I always gets nervous when customers ask how to clean their sofa because I am always afraid they will make it worse. And that is why I haven't sold cleaning products with my own name on it so customers hold me accountable for when they make their stain worse. I do have a few more questions.

There are various reasons for water rings. It could be the soil spreading around or related to water hardness.
The most common technique is "feathering" which means after gently spotting and blotting, one mists the entire surface of cushion with distilled water and going over gently with a dry white towel to level the amount of moisture.

As usual with all upholstery, one needs to be careful and there are risks. (like ring transfer to other parts, distortion etc.)

Yes. The issue may be that once returned clean (Sofas get heavily soiled just by dust and soot settling) it will not match the rest of the sofa, which is not clean.

If they use a dry cleaning solvent, it will not shrink. If they use water, the good ones have a special machine that rotates a few times per minute and then it needs to be air dried (not a dryer) to prevent shrinkage. Very few dry cleaners have that machine and are willing to go to that extent.

We all have minimums that depend on the ease or difficulty of the set up required to do the job. Also, most of the time we are reluctant to do a partial cleaning due to change of look of that specific cushion compared to rest of sofa that has not been cleaned, yet is soiled (dust , soot etc.)

Unlike a shop where the client comes to the premises, we have to travel to their place do quite a set up and break down (all quite time consuming) to do even the smallest job. They will be better served if they combine cleaning of other things (carpet, other furniture, rugs etc.) to get the best return for their money

Surely, you've realized that with cleaners just like sofas, the good ones ain't cheap and the cheap ones ain't good
:winky:

Derek

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom