Best way to clean drapes?

Mike45life

Name
Mike
I was thinking of just vacuuming these drapes on low suction. I might lightly spray with a rinse spray then suck up. Their not that dirty. How would you do it? And do you have any tips?

B72E8B64-9F68-4177-A5A6-AB2305CDEFBD.jpeg 785E5B78-6EA4-4696-A58E-72CBB70DAFB1.jpeg 683B7ED4-5AFE-4E61-A34C-769660F231D2.jpeg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was thinking of just vacuuming these drapes on low suction. I might lightly spray with a rinse spray then suck up. Their not that dirty.
Vacuum with a tool wrapped with plastic screen and then go home. Draperies often contain fibers no one would use in upholstery fabric

Well, you could check the tag to see if they're washable, since they have the look of hotel draperies. If you're dying to be a hero, take them to a drapery cleaner and charge for your pick up and delivery time. < This is so you don't end up buying them.

steve_64

Any spotsyou clean will look different than the area you only vacuum.
I would only vacuum.
Drapes have years of pollution collected on them like carpet but the materials are not as durable. You can't just wipe them off and get them clean.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We dry cleaned draperies on location from the early 70s into the 80s when we had a cleaning company, and taught how to clean draperies that way and supplied products for it through the turn of the century.

A few people who were doing it back then still buy the solvents. Be VERY careful with solvent use in a home or building; there have been more than a few fires from solvent vapors igniting from static electricity.

Unless you are very confident that you have good ventilation, the odor from the "odorless" ( curious name for the stuff...) mineral spirits can permeate the building and create customer/employee health complaints. If you think people complain too much about the smell of your presprays and other products, imagine what they will think of this stuff.

I like Bryan's suggestion for today's chemophobic era.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We dry cleaned draperies on location from the early 70s into the 80s when we had a cleaning company, and taught how to clean draperies that way and supplied products for it through the turn of the century.

A few people who were doing it back then still buy the solvents. Be VERY careful with solvent use in a home or building; there have been more than a few fires from solvent vapors igniting from static electricity.

Unless you are very confident that you have good ventilation, the odor from the "odorless" ( curious name for the stuff...) mineral spirits can permeate the building and create customer/employee health complaints. If you think people complain too much about the smell of your presprays and other products, imagine what they will think of this stuff.

I like Bryan's suggestion for today's chemophobic era.
Or you get an employee who is a little overzealous in applying the OMS and the customer then uses their gas stove or gas dryer or even light a candle. The result is an odor like burnt kerosene. There are not too many people I know who appreciate that smell in their home. It's a tough problem to resolve... ask me how I know.

• Wow
Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Lee Stockwell
We've done several stage drapery sets at Murray State and local high schools.

99.9% deep vacuum, agitate some spots with compressed air, brushes to aid dust removal.

Bring NO flammable fluids inside. Dampen white towels to "reduce eyesore spots" but don't get super righteous. Your attempt at perfection may make it worse.

Rent a Genie-lift and make SURE you know and follow safety rules. Ixnay ladders above 8ft.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I would not advise doing draperies on location for many reasons of liability. (not kidding)

My advise: Take them to a Professional Drapery Cleaning (in-plant) establishment!

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I would not advise doing draperies on location for many reasons of liability. (not kidding)

My advise: Take them to a Professional Drapery Cleaning (in-plant) establishment!
I use to have an arrangement with a dry cleaner. They had a 14 foot pleating machine. I would do the take down/delivery and rehang. Just not enough money in it these days. Not as many drapes around. Many drycleaners who do drapes now offer the pick up and delivery much cheaper than I can do it.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom