Beware of the CashApp and other generic merchant services

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just saw a news article saying there's a new CashApp Scam that could wipe out your bank account.

I've had several requests to get that app from my customers to do some transactions that way. I always turned it down, because it seems like nothing more than PayPal

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Thank for the warning..

I have now started charging 4% for CC payments to my customers. Square is just taking too much of a chunk. Time to pass it on.

Reactions: LCCFL

FredC

Village Idiot
Is it really a cash app scam though?

I replied earlier and deleted because I called some folks dumbasses. I read a couple articles since and other than the charge disputes buy buyers this just seems like a run of the mill phishing scam targeting cash app by setting up fake support sites.

You could write this warning for pretty much any financial institution/service.

FredC

Village Idiot
added link to op so people can understand what is actually happening

“I have four masters and one doctorate degree. If they can get me, they can get anybody,” said Thomas. :hopeless: :hopeless:

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
added link to op so people can understand what is actually happening

“I have four masters and one doctorate degree. If they can get me, they can get anybody,” said Thomas. :hopeless: :hopeless:
Thanks for adding the link. I read that fox article this morning and just wanted to put that info out there. I think PayPal, square, etc are not very secure merchant services. I found that out when I had more red tape to go through with my bank's merchant service. You didn't need to do that with square or PayPal, which is kinda shady.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In other words:

They offer insurance plus when you need anything you can call someone local, not someone who is God knows where. You cant get in touch with customer service with any of those companies and you can run into problems with them. I know that is true with PayPal especially, because I tried to call them last month with a question on my account and Synchrony picked up the phone and was only able to do very few things with accessing my account. They told me there was nobody on PayPal there to talk to me.

FredC

Village Idiot
I've been using Paypal for almost 20 years now without issue other that a couple holds. No problems so far with any of the other p2p apps.........of course I don't give out my credentials or have weak security practices

but these aren't banks....they are for transferring/accepting money

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I've been using Paypal for almost 20 years now without issue other that a couple holds. No problems so far with any of the other p2p apps.........of course I don't give out my credentials or have weak security practices

but these aren't banks....they are for transferring/accepting money
I made a purchase through PayPal a couple months ago, and needed to get a refund. It didn't show up on my current status, and that's when I called to find out why and the Synchrony rep answered the phone. It took 30days to show up on my records.

FredC

Village Idiot
I made a purchase through PayPal a couple months ago, and needed to get a refund. It didn't show up on my current status, and that's when I called to find out why and the Synchrony rep answered the phone. It took 30days to show up on my records.

I'm confused. What didn't it show on? Your paypal dashboard or the card you paid with? If you needed a refund it would be initiated by the seller (paypal wise)

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm confused. What didn't it show on? Your paypal dashboard or the card you paid with? If you needed a refund it would be initiated by the seller (paypal wise)
After the refund was made, it didn't show up on my dashboard. The seller showed me a copy on his end with a picture, and for some reason it didn't show up on my end. That's when I made the call. It all got fixed after the next statement came out, but it was just weird, how long it took.

Reactions: FredC

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My dumbass was confused because I don't request refunds hardly ever. So I wasn't familiar with the process. I was mainly stressing how rediculous the PayPal customer service dept. is.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
My wife's paypal account was just hacked yesterday.

It was a dormant account that hadn't been used in a couple of years and all of a sudden she got a transfer notice from it that $1,000 was being transferred. When she investigated she found out that someone had requested a password change in Spanish and were able to get it changed. She was able to change it again and lock everything down before the money was actually transferred but it cost her 2-3 hours on-line and on the phone to correct it.

• Angry
Reactions: Nomad74

FredC

Village Idiot
When she investigated she found out that someone had requested a password change in Spanish and

as in confidence trick directly with paypal support :headscratch:

otherwise more than just the paypal was hacked (since it seems this wouldn't just be PWs on the market from a breach)

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

otherwise more than just the paypal was hacked
There are so many scams out there. I repeatedly get emails from what at first looks like Netflix. They can't process my payment and need me to re-enter my credit card. Logo's look good and I bet many people fall for it. People use the same password for multiple accounts. If they get one password, they will try all of your accounts.

FredC

Village Idiot
There are so many scams out there. I repeatedly get emails from what at first looks like Netflix. They can't process my payment and need me to re-enter my credit card. Logo's look good and I bet many people fall for it. People use the same password for multiple accounts. If they get one password, they will try all of your accounts.

I get that (phishing).

That and there are enough breaches that most people's passwords are probably already out there on the market....one reason to change them often.

In this case though since there seems to be a password reset...... email and changing recovery options would likely be the initial hack without a confidence trick,

I use the same passwords/variations on BS sites. Anything mission critical or a stepping stone to additional access get strong passwords and 2 Factor Authentication when available (annoying sometimes)

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I get that (phishing).

That and there are enough breaches that most people's passwords are probably already out there on the market....one reason to change them often.

In this case though since there seems to be a password reset email and changing recovery options would likely be the initial hack without a confidence trick,

I use the same passwords/variations on BS sites. Anything mission critical or a stepping stone to additional access get strong passwords and 2 Factor Authentication when available (annoying sometimes)
I have so many passwords I can't remember them all. I'm too paranoid to write them down. I just the remember password function, get another password and promptly forget it.

Brian H

Name
Brian H

otherwise more than just the paypal was hacked (since it seems this wouldn't just be PWs on the market from a breach)
I am not 100% sure on how it happened. I had my "husband" ears on at the time and may not have caught the whole story. :redface: She is pretty savvy about banking and on-line activity. She is the controller for a $100 million dollar defense contractor.

That happened to my step-son, only it was "Chase Bank". :hopeless: They got access, changed his mailing address, requested a new ATM card and cleaned him out! Lucky for him that the bank repaid him for his loss.

F

FB7777

Venmo has been huge for us since I started last year

no fees with Venmo and almost everyone out here under the age of 50 has it

Debit cards through square hit you for 3%

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
F

FB7777

I’ve only been asked once if I take Venmo. I don’t know what it is.
You of all people will LOVE Venmo

text your customer when the job is complete , they transfer the invoice amount to your Venmo acct through the app and done!

offer it as a payment option , I give it as the first option and people jump

no checks to deposit and no fees to pay

It’s awesome

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You of all people will LOVE Venmo

text your customer when the job is complete , they transfer the invoice amount to your Venmo acct through the app and done!

offer it as a payment option , I give it as the first option and people jump

no checks to deposit and no fees to pay

It’s awesome
I’ll look into it after banjo practice

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
I love venmo and cash app. I got the debit cards for both, and they both offer nice discounts on purchases. Plus with Cash App you can buy stocks for free through the app out of your balance. Seems like almost every female customer ask if we take venmo these days.

Reactions: FB7777

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom