Big Upholstery Job Tonight

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Cleaned 132 bench backs in a rest. tonight. Exciting Night! First off I had the privalege of my wife assisting me (I fired my helper for "no showing" last Monday) and my other part time helper is deer hunting all week. She presprayed and scrubbed, and I extracted. Everything was plugging along great until 1 am when the phone started ringing and ringing and ringing. So I told her the police would be showing up within 30 minutes. Much to "her" surprise in walked the police exactly 30 minutes later. Of course a complaint from a resident across the street 100 yards away! This is definately one thing I hate about the V. Couldn't move to back of store because all the doors were on alarms. So officer just suggested I turn the truck around and finish up (we only liked 45 minutes) I turned the truck around and turned rpm down to 1,300 and finished the job. This was a good opportunity for me to be able to share/convince my wife this is why I want our next unit to be a quieter unit. Today 2 Whole houses, a 3 room and this upholstery job, I am ready for bed!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
That sux...Billy.."The noise issue"

I have a question for you "V" & "AT"....guys... :?:

Has anyone ever installed a "convenience port" on their big truck's. :?: "like the Butler"

If you modified your "sliding door"..& closed all the doors..will it contain most
of the noise & vibration in the box... :?:

I realize .."MOST" of the noise is coming from the vibration of that monster blower..!
Would you have any issues with overheating the unit.. :?:

I realize that you need to monitor the gauges when operating..!
But couldn't you cut an area out of the sliding door..&..replace it with a piece of
clear plexiglass.. :?:

Another "trick" that may help ...is a long "Flex Exhaust" hose off the blower exhaust or
silencer.. :idea:

We were on an large "Asbestos Removal" job many years ago at a school
in Virginia. We were running HUGE "Ingersoll Rand" diesel compressor's...! The compressor
ran 24 /7... :roll: The contractor was receiving complaints from the NOISE..!!

He went and purchased 5 inch flexible exhaust hose... it came in a 300 ft box. "It made a
difference in diverting the noise of the compressor's engine exhaust.. :idea:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Harp,
I run with my doors almost closed, the side door is open enough to clear the suction hose. I believe that 70% of noise is blower exhaust, 20% cab engine noise and the rest vibration. But, I'm not a mechanical engineer just my thoughts. I haven't tried the flex exhaust diverter but it is well worth a try. I will do some shopping this weekend and see what I can come up with.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
harper, i completley insulated my boxes including carpeting on the walls on top of the insulation and rubber backed marine grade carpeting on the floor. most the noise coming from my trucks are from the motor when all doors are closed. i believe about 35 percent of the noise comes from the blower exhaust.

i had an extensive super scientific test developed to measure the noise coming from the truck. i just placed a recoeding device (i do not own a decibel meter or a sound level meter) at measured distances,10 50 and 100 ft., with multiple scenarios such as doors open, doors closed, parked next to buildings with doors open, parked next buildings with door closed, parked next to metal buildings with doors open/closed, parked next to brick buildings with door open/closed and a few others just for curiousity. i then fully insulated the truck and repeated some of the test and immediatly found that the noise was greatly reduced and at 50 feet and further away, the majority of the noise was coming from the powerplant.

some will ask why did you waste time doing all that. i have three trucks to do it to at a cost of around two thousand a truck to do it. so the cost had to be justified.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom