Black Death and Live Reels

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

Some hose reels have too small of a hub, IE: 4". Because of this bending at too sharp a radius black death comes soon to the beginning of the hose. I buy 150' hoses for these reels. Has anyone tried to cut out the first 50' and add a section? If so, how much time did you get out of the other 100'?

Thx,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

Yes, black death comes when core cracks and leaks onto the steel braids, so when there's no steel...

However, I use Neptune for a reason in my location, I buy my son's vans new hose. Then after 6 months switch the ends. So for 6 months we have no problem. I'm just wondering if anybody has studies if it's worth the cost to cut off the first part, and re-crimp ends on.

Sincerely,
Dale

Dale I have been using the same steel braid hose from interlink for 2.5 years with no problems. I also don't run my hose live. Wrapping it up creates to much strain on the hose. That and the heat will cause it to fail on the reel. I have a 100' line followed by 50 footers off the the reel. 100' will cover you for most jobs, but you could also do 125 and just pull it off and hook it up. That takes every bit of one minute. You will have better pressure and heat. I keep 350 feet of line on my reel actually. First section is 100', then a 50 footer, followed by another 100' section with a ball valve, and then followed by 50 footers. Sometimes we use one hose for cleaning and the other set for pre-spraying. The protector that interlink has on their hose is the best. Of course if you see signs of failure near the wand or actually have a failure (I have not had any issue) then you can get a few inches cut off and re-crimped.

Name
Lee Stockwell
We run an improved single wire blue hose with a slightly smaller OD than neptune in 100' sections on hand-held reels.

If needed NAPA can put new ends on for about $6 each that are as good as the original.

FREEZING will also hasten "black death" as will extended hot operation while still wound tight on the reel.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Dale said:
. I'm just wondering if anybody has studies if it's worth the cost to cut off the first part, and re-crimp ends on.

Sincerely,
Dale

I always crimp a blown hose. They last another year. For the $10 it costs, why not? I keep a 50 foot generic Goodyear hose on my live reel I pull to the customer's door. I hand wrap the nice Parker Parflex I use in the house. These Parflex lines are great to use and haven't needed repairing or crimping in the 5 years I've been using them. Much better and lighter than the steelbraided ones I used for 25 years. Steel braided lines are cheaper to buy so appeal to the brokedickiness in all of us, but become dangerous (and thus useless in a house) and have to be replaced annually.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I took my hose off the hose reels, couldn't see the point of cooking the 200' of hose that is on a live reel when you are cleaning carpet

to me it is much easier to hand roll up/unroll the sections of hose

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dale said:
Hi Guys:

Some hose reels have too small of a hub, IE: 4". Because of this bending at too sharp a radius black death comes soon to the beginning of the hose. I buy 150' hoses for these reels. Has anyone tried to cut out the first 50' and add a section? If so, how much time did you get out of the other 100'?
Thx,
Dale
Dale;

That 4" reel manufacturer needs some education on hose life.

The deterioration is a function of heat when hose is left coiled on the reel.

We have cut the 1st 50' ft. off of long hoses, with pretty good remaining life.

Larry

Able 1

Name
Keith
Last 100' of Goodyear Neptune lasted me two years on my live reel, though the Peak doesn't get crazy hot.. With the reel mounted to the top of my TM I can't think of anything more efficient as far as set up.

005-3.jpg

Able 1 said:
Last 100' of Goodyear Neptune lasted me two years on my live reel, though the Peak doesn't get crazy hot.. With the reel mounted to the top of my TM I can't think of anything more efficient as far as set up.

005-3.jpg

I wanted to do that but the EVEREST sits too high.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I always used 50 foot sections, but the last time I ordered from Windtrax I got one section 110 feet long. I love it. Many times I would have to hook up 150 feet because 100 foot of hose was not enough. No couplers and just the right length for most of my jobs. I replace when the black death comes.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
will someone put a permanent sticky thread at the top of the board saying GOODYEAR HOSE IS SHIT AND CAUSES BLACK DEATH, IF YOU USE PARAFLEX YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BLACK DEATH OR EVEN A CATATROPHIC FAILURE plus it lasts like 5 times longer. I can't believe the number of people that read this board and continue to buy goodyear or metal braid hose.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
its good for right off the truck.....

other wise i use the paraflex....its pretty good...

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I run hotter temps than most and I also use 3/8 inch hose. I understand that the wire braided hose handles higher temperatures and heat spikes better. It also doesn't coil up.

Anybody use 3/8 inch parflex with a high temp truck mount? Cost? Windtrax is a little over a dollar a foot for 3/8 inch neptune.

Name
steve snail
steve g said:
will someone put a permanent sticky thread at the top of the board saying GOODYEAR HOSE IS SHIT AND CAUSES BLACK DEATH, IF YOU USE PARAFLEX YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BLACK DEATH OR EVEN A CATATROPHIC FAILURE plus it lasts like 5 times longer. I can't believe the number of people that read this board and continue to buy goodyear or metal braid hose.

Ditto!!!!! Not to mention the fact that the Goodyear gets very hot to the touch and can put a "heat line" on unprotected wood flooring and or poly. However, I would urge all my competition to use it with reckless abandon.

John Buxton

I need to replace my pressure hose and my disty uses the grey I guess Goodyear? Does anyone know the number of the parflex 1/4 inch hose so I can start pricing it?

Thanks.

Scott Rogers

John Buxton said:
I need to replace my pressure hose and my disty uses the grey I guess Goodyear? Does anyone know the number of the parflex 1/4 inch hose so I can start pricing it?

Thanks.

Parker Parflex, 1035HT, 1/4", 230°F @ 1,750psi 1.65/ft. Price includes 2 high quality crimps.

http://www.realcleaners.com/solution_hose.html

or

TX100HP 100' Solut.Hose 1750 PSI 230' F
$168.95
# 100 ft. Solution Hose w/Quick.Couplers -1750 PSI 230' F 2 Strain Reliefs Reinforce Hose Crimp Area.
# Thermoplastic Retains More Heat
# Smooth Cover Slides Easily over Carpet
# Parflex 35HT Brand by Parker

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=4339

Back
Top Bottom