Blocking rugs

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
We've always used nails for blocking which is slow. I know some of you use staples (that don't rust). Can you share the staple and gun you're using?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
For lightweight rugs like a Kashmir Chain-Stitch we'll use a hammer-tacker like the ones made for stapling down roofing felt. The staples are relatively light weight and galvanized.

Since Stanley stopped making the heavier staple H-1 hammer-tacker, we've tried several brands of hand-powered tackers and none of them last long before they start to jam. We use a 3/8 x 3/8 construction staple and an air powered stapler adjusted so that it leaves the crown of the staple 3/32 above the decking.

The short leg staple may have to be special ordered though, as most building codes no longer allow staples to be used for attaching roofing materials.

Reactions: Joe Appleby

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
OMG don't tell him that no matter how true it maybe.

He's hardly bearable as it is and to compliment him like that....it will take me years to beat him back down now. :p

He shoore is scchmart! :headbang:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This is true but it also takes the desire to want to aquire the information and the smarts to retain, apply it to your company and the kindness to share that information. Yep keep it up and one day you just might be held in the same esteem as.....umm me. :p

J/k I appreciate you sharing, I always get alot from your posts.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Some have been using giant stainless steel or aluminum push pins with a big head on them and can be reusable. Tap in with a rubber mallet and usually pull out with your hands or pliers if needed.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Joe's looking for speed Tom.

One of our rug cleaning friends said he could spit tacks as fast as using a stapler, but he never would take me up on an offer to test that claim.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We use a standard T-50 Staple gun with standard staples, (14mm) so they are easy to remove. We used to use stainless but have never had them rust (yet). since the rugs are only wet for 12 -24 hours (most rugs are dry much quicker with air movers, I don't think stainless is necessary. Crane makes a cheap staple remover tool that works great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom