Blower leaking oil?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My tech said tonight, while cleaning denny's.... I'm tired of wiping up oil all the time...

So any ways there is oil under the blower, he said its been leaking for weeks... I cannot tell if its coming out of the seal or not. I have the stupid GM factory divider and I can't see shit...
I am hoping its not something serious... I can't even see the sight glass to see if its empty.

I get my blower oil changed every 500 hours with aeon D snythethic oil.. The machine has 1100 hours on it..

It is a sutorbilt 4m blower.. anyone know anything? Cant get to the disty till Thursday! ugh Its always something

And is the Sutorbilt 4M blower any good? as in reliability

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
joeynbgky said:
And is the Sutorbilt 4M blower any good? as in reliability

yea, they're good blowers
actually , most blowers are.... regardless of manufacture (Roots, Tuthill, Sutorbuilt)
The blower is one of, if not THE most durable lg dollar component on a TM
giving years of trouble free service with minimal care/maintenance ...or "should" anyway when run within manufacture's specs

..L.T.A.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
What kind of blower? Dual splash? Greaseable drive end?

Better get a small mirror and a flashlight and see if you can check the sight guage(s)
before you seize it up.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Every 500 hours? I've seen more damage by people checking, adding, or removing oil, than by just leaving it the heck alone. The problem? leaving a plug loose.

You could fill it up and run it for 5000 hours without touching it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
recently i changed my blower oil after running it for 2000 hrs. it had the aeon pd in it. this is the first time i have used that oil. i was surprised it was dark and full of bubbles. it didn't smell burnt but it didn't look healthy. this is it's first oil change since i changed to the new blower so it didn't have anything else in it..

granted this blower has been getting run around 20 hg for most of its short life. my manual says 1500 hrs but the specs on the oil say around 6000hrs if i remember correctly. any thought?

gene

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Mines dual splash.. no grease fittings...... Changing the oil has to be better than not changing it at all..

Name
Lee Stockwell
There are three identically threaded plugs on the oil end. Two are just plugs, one is a vent. I've seen the vent put back in the wrong hole, or one of the plugs left too loose.

In each case the result is WORSE than if the person had just left it alone with the "old" oil.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I just had to replace the front cover and seal on my Tuthill 5006.
Someone cranked the sight guage into the drain hole without teflon tape and cracked the housing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom