Blower question for the guru's

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Will a Sutorbilt 4MP interchange with a Roots 45 U-RAI as far as the mounting feet go and shaft height? Both are Vertical airflow.

I cannot measure them myself. The Roots is at the machine shop. (closed till Monday)

KevinD said:
Will a Sutorbilt 4MP interchange with a Roots 45 U-RAI as far as the mounting feet go and shaft height? Both are Vertical airflow.

I cannot measure them myself. The Roots is at the machine shop. (closed till Monday)

Kevin,

With the industrial vacuum systems we manufacture, we make the units universal for 45 U-RAI’s and 4MP Sutorbilts. As you can see in the photos, we do this by designing the unit for the Roots which is a 2 inch taller blower. We simply shim the Sutorbilt on 2 inch shims to get the shaft height the same so the same size belts will work. If you are trying to install a Roots instead of a Sutorbilt, you will have to lower the Roots 2 inches. We have tried to shorten the feet on a Roots, but you cannot get all the way down the complete 2 inches. There is still about an eighth of an inch where the housing of the blower will touch. Simply cutting the feet and lowering the roots will not drop it the full 2 inches. If you are going to put a Sutorbilt in place of a Roots, simply shim it on 2 inch thick 2 wall square tubes. This will get you close enough for a belt-driven system. If it is a shaft to shaft coupled system, you will still have to use thin shims to precisely line up the shafts.

100_0583.jpg

100_0593.jpg

100_0595.jpg

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
KevinD said:

yes

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Les, Mine are vertical airflow. Your pictures are horizontal airflow. Will that make a difference?

And I will be replacing the Roots with the Sutorbilt down the road sometime.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
JHC Les yor a frigging mind-reader guROO......ezcep
for the ape hangers..i had one jus lik it....very same sissy bar and fishtails

Name
Lee Stockwell
Pretty much a direct replacement Kevin. 6.25" shaft height for both blowers in that configuration.

Perhaps Les was mixing diffent blowers.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Lee Stockwell said:
Pretty much a direct replacement Kevin. 6.25" shaft height for both blowers in that configuration.

Perhaps Les was mixing diffent blowers.

Thanks Lee. I'm assuming that the foot mounting is the same also?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yes. Some tolerance built in: Holes 6" to 6.25" apart front to back, and 7.5 to 8" side to side. May require flipping a bracket depending on the holes in your frame.

KevinD said:
Les, Mine are vertical airflow. Your pictures are horizontal airflow. Will that make a difference?

And I will be replacing the Roots with the Sutorbilt down the road sometime.

Is your system a belt drive ?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
On the same subject, will a 4LP interchange with a 4007?

My blower is fried and I need to replace it. So far I am finding better prices on 4007s.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yep! Decades ago Roots, Sutorbilt, and other blower mfgs seemed to intentionally make their blowers "different" from others, seemingly to insure that any replacement had to come from the original company.

That cut both ways and made for confusion as well. Now you will find a large degree of interchangability in most cases.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Uhh...so does that mean that it will work?

If not, does anyone have a good price on a 4LP? New or used?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom