Blower Upgrade

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Im looking to replace my Tuthill 3006 blower .. Is there really that much of a difference in dry time going from a 3006 producing 279 cfms at 15hg vs the 4005 producing 331 cfms at 16hg .. are we talking reducing dry time by an hr or two .. single wand operation with 99% residential .. AW29 with dual 02's

Some of the carpets I clean give me a neck ache - the suction is so strong I have a hard time pushing the wand .. except on berber .. it dosent pull down enough .. I have to use my glided wand to get it to pull hard on the carpet .. and the berber still takes too long to dry ..

I like the idea of a glide to reduce fatigue .. but I think youd have to have really good suction to do that .. Ive tested the theory glide vs no glide and my Aw no glide draws more .. also glide isnt sharp enough to do corners, cornered edges (carpet to tile) (or in a hall with alot of doorways especially closet)

Im thinking of upgrading to a 4005 for better dry times .. Im getting different dry times depending on the conditions .. if Im only saving an hr or two, I probably wont do it ..

I also plan on running a 3in fitting from blower to tank - and 30 ft of 2 and a half in hose from van to door .. all to increase vac to decrease dry times ..

So my question is ---- is it worth the upgrade to go from a 3006 with 279 cfms to a 4005 with 331 cfms? Thanks!!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Simply put: yes its worth the upgrade.

Some of those carpets give you a neck ache because your little wand is locking down. Which leads me to the other thing: you are wrong about the glides.

I don't think you should have any dry time concerns running that toy wand with 4 flow...if you do have issues its not the blower: its your wand technique and the aforementioned wand locking down and not removing water while its locked down...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Oh and if you can't clean corners and edges with a glided wand, then its also pointing to improper wand technique.

Get the bigger blower, get a better wand that is fitted with angled jets (unlike your wand that is shooting straight down) you should have no problem doing a better job.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Locking down ... yeah I can see what youre saying .. and if it locks down, its not allowing enough airflow to carry out more water .. that makes so much sense .. so I have too much suction for a crappy wand but not enough for a glided .. so yeah a bigger blower and glided wand should do it ..

What wand would you suggest? my AW sprays pretty close to the head .. the glided wand I have I got on ebay for $195 dosent reach the corners very good unless I tilt the wand .. which I cant do on every situation .. which makes it easier for me to leave it in the truck ..

I do have pretty good dry times on most .. except berber .. I mentioned some carpets give me a neck ache .. so locking is occasional .. I love my AW most of the time .. I guess Id have to carry multiple wands and choose accordingly ..

I also have the Evolution wand .. my AW drew more moisture out than the E wand on my plush carpet .. the area felt drier and dried 1st ..

What is causing the lock down? Shitty wand or too much suction for certain types of carpet .. (I dont get the lock down on all) thanks Zee

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Before you get serious about a simple swap, you need to be aware of a couple of things.

Depending on the TM manufacturer, and their design, they may have incorporated what the industry refers to as a "high heat clearance" blower. Many manufacturers find that the plumbing, heat exchange system or placement of the blower results in higher than normal temperatures, for a stock blower. In order for the blower to work under these conditions, blower manufacturers often make subtle modifications to the lobe profiles to allow for increased heat expansion. A "stock blower" that is swapped in, may have problems. Before you do this, make sure the new blower is compatible.

Also an item to consider is the all the components that have to work with the characteristics of the new blower should be compatible. Drive system, engine power, dimensions, plumbing, relief valve, waste-tank all need to be able to work with the new blower and the potentially higher performance loadings that you may introduce.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
View attachment 3286

This is what I have .. they offered it to me with optional blower and engine size .. I chose 3006 -18hp .. Im getting a new 20hp kohler .. couldnt decide on the blower til today .. Im going with a Tuthill 4005 .. plumb 3in from blower to tank .. which means opening up the tank hole from 2 to 3in .. probably have to put an extension plate to accommodate blower stand holes

Its funny you say that about modifying the lobe profiles to allow for heat expansion .. I know a guy who bought a blower replacement that failed .. I wonder if it s because it was stock .. Ill make sure I check into that .. I really appreciate the info

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My advice is to just get a better wand.

On my wand to prevent lock down I drilled a hole at each end of the wand head to allow more airflow so it wouldn't lock down.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
What is the better wand .. I dont wand to spend more than $500 .. closer to $300 would be nice .. I have 9 wands .. I bought 2 Evo wands 5yrs ago and didnt really like them much .. didnt work well on friezes .. holes got clogged which meant no sucking up water ..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
When you buy a blower for a carpet cleaning application you must inquire if that blower has open tolerance or closed tolerance. I. Carpet cleaning we use open tolerances. It usually does not make a difference in the larger blowers but it definitely makes a huge difference with 47 or smaller blowers as these blowers are mostly all closed tolerance blowers( unless ordered differently). I haven't seen a problem with any 56 or larger but have seen multiple issues with 45 and 36 and 33 size blowers.

If you call any manufacturer they should be able to look up your serial number and see that it should be an open tolerance blower.

Just because two blowers that both are 4005 or 4mp labeled one could be ordered with slightly different tolerance from the factory.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I called Tuthill direct and they asked for the numbers on my blower .. Ill double check by asking about heat expansion and open tolerance .. thanks

Back
Top Bottom