Blue, Purple, Pink, Color Shift

What is invisible when dry and then turns blue, purple, and then pink depending upon how much water you add to it? A friend had a canvas sofa cover that did this.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Re: Blue, Purple, Pink

Benzoyl peroxide The ingredient is acne medicine & foot creams will turn pink, purple and orange when it gets wet from cleaning.

Good answer Dave, but this is canvas; i.e. no dye. It is coloration, not discoloration. It is splotchy and only on a portion of cover.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen

Even though the canvas does not have color if there is acne cream smeared on it it will turn colors when the cream gets wet. Hence the reason it's not there when it was dry and turned colors when it got wet.

Hay Chris
Acne cream is based on benzol peroxide, an oil base oxidizer. Strong oxidizers and reducers destroy color, not make color. The affect of Oxy 10 on fabric is discoloration; generally in the form of a hand print. This is something else based upon water absorption.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen

I've seen purple and orange fingerprint patterns on white couches before. Specifically a friend who had bad acne and used acne products. I cleaned his couch and there they were.

Rex Tyus

JamesBaileySmith said:
What is invisible when dry and then turns blue, purple, and then pink depending upon how much water you add to it? A friend had a canvas sofa cover that did this.

Was the canvas sofa ever in a meth lab?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

How about the marking ink from the upholsterer when they covered the sofa?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

I've seen white carpet turn Purple/Pink from Benzoyl peroxide sereral times. In retirement homes from foot creams after getting wet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom