Bowlerland

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I may have landed a couple of bowling alleys with that multi-colored bright flourescent carpet.
Stuff like this:
http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/Bowling ... Carpet.htm

I remember reading somewhere that the flourescent dyes found in them can be sensitive to high PH.

Any "Dudes" out there that have cleaned this type of carpet?

n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeqpXgrkg6kn]

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hummmm...1 i did for a while never let me on their crazy crapet....only the normal stuff

granted no food or drink was allowed in that area

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The manager also hinted about the colors possibly bleeding, but he didn't seem to have a basis for that reasoning.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
floorguy said:
why dont you call this carpet place??

I though about it, and I still might, but as scary as it sounds, I think there is enough varied industry knowledge here to know.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
cant be to bad...there is a roller skate place here, that has it, and use some hack place at like .06 a ft :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i tried to get it at .10...dicks...

anyway, i am sure they hack it out, and it still looks fine...

and if memory serves i did some at another place a few times and no probs...but i rinse with just water, and use cobbs...so not to harsh....

all else fails, do a little test area...kinda a pita for a small area, but better then if you fook it up and have to replace

Jamesh921

Name
James
I've cleaned this carpet before - and have more to do.

I cleaned a skating rink for a couple that own 2 of them. They're VERY picky. The first one turned out great and they scheduled me to do the other one. But, like Doug, I use Cobbs Powermax and clear water rinse.

Don't be scared, it's nothing fancy, just nylon carpet.

James

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Talked with Joy Carpets at Surfaces. No real worries except the ones you should avoid anywhere: no extremely high pH, no oxidizers, and particularly no optical brighteners.

The colors pop under black light and if you use an optical brightener you'll probably be paying for new carpet.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The Great Oz said:
Talked with Joy Carpets at Surfaces. No real worries except the ones you should avoid anywhere: no extremely high pH, no oxidizers, and particularly no optical brighteners.

Up until now I was going to use some Judson O2 that I have, but am questioning it now if I should avoid oxidizers. I know some others used some Cobbs with success, which also contains oxidizers, but I was thinking a mild oxidizer would have made the colors look really great.
Do you think the oxidizer warning may mean stronger, straight oxidizer solutions should be avoided, as opposed to it being a "milder" pre-spray component?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The Great Oz said:

The colors pop under black light and if you use an optical brightener you'll probably be paying for new carpet.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Unless you can tell the difference between type-6 and type-6.6 nylon by sight, anytime you use an oxidizer or high pH you're taking a bit of risk with color damage. Some mostly polypropylene carpets have type-6 nylon in them and other fibers and dyescan be prone to pH-related color shift... Just use your best judgement.

Joy uses 6.6, so pH and oxidizers probably won't matter that much to the fiber, but they may be concerned about the stain-resist treatment. I don't know about other manufacturer's Day-Glo products, but banning optical brighteners does seem logical for all of them.

PS: Since encap products rely on light reflectance of the residue to make carpet look clean, might their use have some negative effect as well?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The Great Oz said:
Unless you can tell the difference between type-6 and type-6.6 nylon by sight, anytime you use an oxidizer or high pH you're taking a bit of risk with color damage. Some mostly polypropylene carpets have type-6 nylon in them and other fibers and dyescan be prone to pH-related color shift... Just use your best judgement.

Joy uses 6.6, so pH and oxidizers probably won't matter that much to the fiber, but they may be concerned about the stain-resist treatment. I don't know about other manufacturer's Day-Glo products, but banning optical brighteners does seem logical for all of them.

PS: Since encap products rely on light reflectance of the residue to make carpet look clean, might their use have some negative effect as well?
Good stuff, thanks Oz.

Here are Joy's cleaning recommendations, as well as Astro's.

Joy Carpets, Inc.
104 West Forrest Rd. Ft. Oglethorpe, GA 30742
Phone: (800) 645 2787 Fax: (706) 866-7928
E-Mail: joycarpets@joycarpets.com

GENERAL CARPET CARE & CLEANING GUIDE

Your carpet or rugs require care to prolong their useful life. Using any cleaning methods not
recommended by your carpet manufacturer may void specific warranties.

PROFESSIONAL CARPET CLEANING

A reputable professional carpet cleaner is knowledgeable on the latest carpet construction, carpet
care products, and safe cleaning methods. Contact a Carpet Cleaning Professional when soil and
stains are no longer removable with vacuuming and recommended carpet cleaning procedures.

Obtain the name of a reliable carpet cleaning professional through referrals, the Better Business
Bureau, or contact the Carpet and Rug Institute (706-278-3176) for a list of cleaning professional
members and a copy of the Carpet and Rug Care Guide (http://www.Carpet-Rug.com).

RECOMMENDED CLEANING METHODS

The consumer should rely on the carpet manufacturer's recommendation. Select cleaning agents
sold especially for soil and stain-resistant carpet and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR
DILUTION AND APPLICATION. Never use soap, ammonia, laundry detergent, automatic
dishwashing detergent, washing soda, or any strong household cleaning agents intended for use
on hard surfaces, i.e. woodwork, linoleum, tile, as these cleaning agents could damage carpet.
For best cleaning results, always pre-vacuum. Clean spots promptly.

1. Hot Water Extraction - Pressurized hot water is injected into the pile. Suspended soil
and solution are immediately extracted by a powerful vacuum. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
CAREFULLY. Avoid overwetting and excessive high temperatures (over 120°) and
ensure speedy drying. Properly performed by Carpet Cleaning Professionals, hot water
extraction will effectively remove accumulated soil from the carpet and refresh the
texture.
2. Dry Extraction - An absorbent compound (Capture® Rug Cleaning System) is brushed
in and around the fibers. The compound attaches to soil particles and both the particles
and compound are then removed by vacuuming. Follow specific Capture® Rug Cleaning
System instructions.

SPOT CLEANING

First do a general cleaning and then, if necessary, spot clean. Pretest any spot removal or
cleaning agent in an inconspicuous area to make certain the solution will not damage yarns or
dyes. After applying several drops to the testing area, hold a white cloth on the wet area for ten
seconds. Examine the carpet and cloth for color transfer, color change, or damage to the carpet.
If a change occurs, select another cleaning solution.

PRECAUTIONS FOR ANY CLEANING METHODS

• The ph level of the cleaning product used is critical! Select non-cationic detergents and
spot cleaners sold especially for stain-resistant carpeting with neutral ph levels or below.
• Follow instructions carefully-use only approved agents for soil and stain resistant carpet.
• Avoid using too much detergent – use only enough to assure maximum cleaning and
minimum residue.
• Never exceed recommended solution strength.
• Do not over wet carpet (over wetting may cause backing separation, seam separation,
shrinkage, discoloration and odor).
• Ensure all detergent is completely rinsed from carpet.
• Do not allow carpet to remain wet for more than 24 hours.
• Dry within 24 hours before walking on carpet.
• Topical treatments, i.e. fungicides, bactericides, biocides, antistatic and stains resists, etc.
may adversely affect the soil and stain resistance and other benefits of your carpet.
• Shampoo, dry-foam and extraction detergents containing optical brighteners should not
be used.
• Never use a Do-It Yourself rotary shampoo machine designed for hard surface, laminate,
or linoleum flooring that uses counter rotating (rotary) brushes.

BOUND CARPET AND RUGS

The general carpet care and cleaning guide is applicable to bound carpet and rugs. However,
particular caution should be given to the binding and serging. Avoid contact with sharp or
abrasive objects and cleaning machinery, i.e. flooring buffers and vacuum sweepers with beater
bars. We suggest moving carpet when buffing floors to avoid contact.

When vacuuming, adjust height of beater bar to lightly agitate the rug pile but not cause the
motor of the vacuum to slow. Do not vacuum over binding and serging, if possible.

Joy Carpets, Inc. rugs are bound and double stitched for maximum durability and will perform as
intended using the above precautions. However, if accidents happen and/or misuse or abuse does
occur, it is the policy of Joy Carpets, Inc. to repair the binding and serging FREE of CHARGE.
To qualify, the bound rug(s) must be returned clean and freight must be prepaid for both return
and delivery.

AstroCleaningInstructionsrevised140degrees.jpg

Here's what I'm looking at:

2011-02-14_10-07-15_564.jpg

2011-02-14_10-07-29_720.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
throw cobbs at it, about 3-4 oz a gallon...rinse with water....prescrub if ya want....i would take it a little hotter then 140

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
floorguy said:
throw cobbs at it, about 3-4 oz a gallon...rinse with water....prescrub if ya want....i would take it a little hotter then 140

Don't have any Cobbs.
I have some O2 and some Extreme Clean. I'm debating between full strength O2, or Extreme Clean at half dilution (to knock the PH down) with some citrus.

Scott Warrington writes:

Re: Fluorescent carpet
Fluorescent carpet is sensitive to pH. If cleaned repeatedly with higher pH, it will still look good in daylight, but the glow will not be as bright. It will not loose all the glow in one cleaning, but it will gradually diminish.

If it is still under warranty, manufacturers may limit the pH to 8.0.

Advise your customer to have it cleaned regularly before it needs something really powerful.

You can use an oxidizers, but many oxidizers tend to raise the pH as well, so this is not always a good idea.

Citrus Solv will help and is safe for glow-in-the-dark fun.

There is an article with more details on our technical help website - http://www.cleanwiki.com. Click on the "Technical Resources" link at the top and then choose Technical Bulletins from the menu.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
naw man that stuff needs flushing...if some of the spots dont come then encap...other wise...flush.....bowling places can be nasty

how often you gonna do it?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
floorguy said:
naw man that stuff needs flushing...if some of the spots dont come then encap...other wise...flush.....bowling places can be nasty

Yea, definitely gotta flush that shit out first. Drips and dribbles all over the place.
The manger knows it looks like shit. He was trying to keep on top of it with some type of walk behind unit, but pretty much gave up. Two locations, I still have to look at the other location, but he says he wants each one done every six months.
It sounds great now, but I will believe that when he signs a service agreement.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
depending how dirty every 3 might be better...

but if the budget dont allow it, then it dont

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The recommendations against high pH and optical brighteners is pretty clearly explained, and cleaning commercial nylon carpet that hasn't turned to tar is pretty easy at 140 degrees. Thanks for the research.

I'd probably use Releasit EncapClean DS or Vacaway LPH...
You're being funny?

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Nope done a few similar carpets... One is at a local bowling alley with "blacklight bowling" on Saturdays. No problems with either product even under black light.

Name
Nate W.
Goomer said:
floorguy said:

Yea, definitely gotta flush that shit out first. Drips and dribbles all over the place.
The manger knows it looks like shit. He was trying to keep on top of it with some type of walk behind unit, but pretty much gave up. Two locations, I still have to look at the other location, but he says he wants each one done every six months.
It sounds great now, but I will believe that when he signs a service agreement.

I'd be more concerned about what he/they used and I'd also check/take pictures in black light mode. You don't want to own a problem they cause to begin with. Cover your a$$ is what I'm saying. Telling them before the job is educating them, telling them after is an excuse. Words I live by.

Back
Top Bottom