Box van and VAT owners clean your aluminum box to look new!

Bob Foster

I used some hydrofluoric acid acid today to clean the extruded aluminum components on the outside of my box van today. The truck is 12 years old and the aluminum looks like it was made yesterday. I apologize for the picture quality as these are from my phone.

Paint it on with a paint brush keeping it wet for about 30 seconds, wear gloves and eye protection and rinse it off with a hose as you go.

Only took an hour to do.

alumcleanstuff.jpg

alumclean2.jpg

gasholedirty.jpg

gasholeclean2.jpg

shopoutside.jpg

Bob Foster

That's my new shop that I just got and have started to clean up. The landlord evicted a crackhead who was living in it. I can't believe people could live like that. The toilet didn't even have a seat on it.

It is about 750 sq ft and has a crapper kitchen hot water heat and electricity all for two hundred a month including utilities.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If this passes the Forsythe test, I will give it a try.

On the other hand, if he comes on here telling you how stupid that is, then I'm going to laugh.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Bob how would that compare to a SS or aluminum polish? Did you try on yours before the acid?

I still would like to know how to make rhino lining black again. I itch every time I see it.

Bob Foster

I never tried the SS polish but that implies some effort to polish it. The stuff I used was very fast and effortless to do. Brush it on and keep the surface wet by brushing back and forth for about 30 seconds and hose it off - that's it. I did it in 4 of 5 foot strips. I don't think it even cost me 5 bucks to do the truck.

I did one of my vac trucks a few years back and it worked good on the alcoa wheels too.
sterling4.jpg

Bob Foster

No. It just removes the oxidization. Gravel truck and big rig guys have been doing it for years.

Make sure you rinse it off and the surrounding paint well. I wasn't at all careful when applying it around painted surfaces because I rinsed it well.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ladies...the correct product to use on aluminum would callt Zepalum........wet yor aluminum wit water then trigger spray the Zepalum on....allow to set for FIVE MIN...NO MORE...rinse off and yor aluminum is lik new once more...

caution....DO NOT allow it to dry before rinsing it off!
You usually have to find this locally as they will not ship it.......

Bob Foster

BaWb your talking about this product
http://www.zep.com/products/products.as ... %20cleaner

SULFURIC ACID; oil of vitriol 7664-93-9 10 - 20
HYDROFLUORIC ACID ; hydrogen fluoride; hydrofluoride 7664-39-3 5 - 10
PHOSPHORIC ACID 7664-38-2 <5
ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER; 2-butoxyethanol; butyl cellosolve 111-76-2 <5

I think I need to go back and edit my post as I think now the ingredient that I have is hydrofluoric acid.

The Preacher

i can get you a product called Brighter 601 for aluminum cleaning. i agree with Bob, we used to sell it in 55gal drums to trucking companies for their trailers and wheels. works real good on poontoon boats also!

Name
Bruce
When I was a kid I worked for my uncles trucking company, it was my job to clean the aluminum just like Bob did with the acid. Then I would take aluminum polish and shine up the pieces that needed to shine. Only back then there was no such thing as wearing protective gear when doing the job.

Chads

Supportive Member
The stuff Vawter is talking about Zepalume is good stuff just spray it on and give a light scrub dont let it dry or it will etch and leave marks. it just takes alot of the muscle out of cleaning aluminum. it will leave the metal in a more raw state not polished look thats when you get out the polish and your work has been cut in half, there is a product called Zephr out there that is for polishing that is the best stuff I have ever used. And I have tried tons of this crap when I was truck driving and trying to get those polished wheels.

hogjowl

Idiot™
From the outside, looking in, it seems that Bob's way of doing it takes less work.

I just wish Shawn would give it his blessing so I would know if you guys a full of it, or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom