Boxxer 427...again

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
According to my dealer's mechanic, one of the cylinders has a great big crack. He was in the process of changing head gasket and discovered it. I only had 1500 hours on it, changed oil and plugs every 100 hrs. It has been one thing after another on this machine. Anyway, they are having a hard time locating the same model engine to replace it with, I wonder why. If anyone has any suggestions on make and model of engine to replace it with I would sure appreciate it mucho. I want to be able to let dealer know not to just pop anything in there. Thanks again.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That Briggs motor isn't being made any more.

I'd personally look for a different motor that has similar dimensions. Shaft height, diameter, and exhaust configuraton would be the pinch points.

I've raised either the motor or blower to compensate for height differences between an Onan and Kohler engine, and changed coupler hubs in other cases.

For the exhaust, there's always flex pipe.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
You should be changing the oil every 50 hours and plugs every 500 hours. Changing the plug toooften puts to much stress on the engine with loosening and tightening the plugs.. believe it or not but it does. Call northern tool and they can match it up and get you something else

Name
R.J. Povio
We change the oil every 25-35 hrs. Cheap insurance. These non liquid cooled engines run hotter than what they are intended for. Lawn mowers have alot cooler ambient air to help cool the engine. Inside temps in a van can bet to 140-150 degrees. More if your in the dessert areas. A lawnmower is constantly moving whereas a TM is stationary. The heat exchangers put more stress on the engines too. The heat x's cause back pressure, which makes the engine work harder and hotter. The vacuum load too puts more strain on the engine=more heat and stress!

As far as finding a 27hp Briggs....call B and S directly. They will locate one for you if you can't. Or just tell them should I look for a Kawasaki or Honda instead. That will get their attention. I would not buy a Kohler!...I think Briggs makes a more durable and reliable engine than Kohler.

Back
Top Bottom