Brakes on a UD 1400

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I just received the quote on my front brakes for the truck, does $275.00 + tax sound reasonable ?
I've only owned 1 ton vans before this, but it actually sounds cheap to me... this quote is from the local diesel truck / engine place.
Of course this only includes turning the rotors, not replacement, pads, and some kit they need to do the job, labor etc. but it sounds very reasonable to me... what say those with UD's?

gasaxe

Jim Martin said:
Sounds good but how come they are not replacing the pads..........

the way i read it they are replacing pads. just turning the rotors. sounds like a fair price to me.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
admiralclean said:
I bet you even have pictures of the pads.

No but if you don't know where they are I will go and get you one.......

They are right next to the spare tire.......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
gasaxe said:
Jim Martin said:
Sounds good but how come they are not replacing the pads..........

the way i read it they are replacing pads. just turning the rotors. sounds like a fair price to me.

You are correct... I miss read it it....That is a good price...What type of "kit " are they talking about...

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
if the rotors are fine, and you only need a kit (usually springs and misc harware) , and some pads then you should put ceramic pads on, and do the work yourself. save some cash.

Ceramic pads in my opinion from experience last longer and help alot with rotor wear. the ceramic pads suck up the heat from the rotor when braking and that helps keep the rotors from wearing and getting burnt up from excessive braking.

hope this helped.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the price sounds decent for a box truck, usually big trucks they charge big bucks. make sure they adjust up the rear brakes at the same time, most of the time rear brakes aren't exactly self adjusting like most people think. in fact I would recommend a rear brake adjustment every 5k or so, especially if you have any rotor warping issues.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
These big trucks take much larger wrenches, impact tools, sockets etc. than come in the Craftsman mechanics set I have.
I could not go out and buy the 1" drive impact gun for the price of the job, and my puny 5.5 Hp compressor is no where near able to power the impact gun.
I don't think the kit is anything like rear drum spring kit's as these are air over hydraulic disc brakes.
Yes they will turn the rotors (not replace), and of course replace the pads.( sorry I was not clear)

If this was a 1 ton van I would have done it myself... I've done both front and rear brakes on van's and cars, but this is beyond my ability and tool box for sure.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
oh i c. well was worth a try. get ceramic pads if you can.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Sounds reasonable to me Tom.

What does the kit they need consist of?

Have them check the drums in the rear.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I don't know what was actually in the kit, but 2 other UD owners confirmed it was needed for their brake job as well.
I just picked the truck up at 4:45 this afternoon and the bill was actually 270.82 with tax
This was done at Turbo Diesel & Electric Systems, there are 3 of them in Ga., 1 in Al., and 1 in Fla.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
When you pick it up could you please find out what the kit was for...I had my front brakes done and I did not need a kit or anything ..they just did a switch of the pads...It would be interesting to know what this is for

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Jim:

Sorry I did not get your request for info on the kit until after I had already picked the truck up... I will try to go by the ir shop and ask either today or tomorrow as time permits and let you know.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
lol... your getting the full job... lol

Seriously, that sounds like a great price, rear being dual and being drum, but it just read as funny ...
lol

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
All the kit is new hardware such as pad retainers and maybe some other spring?

These are the prices from my local UD dealership.

Hardware Kit (Comple
te/Both Wheels) = $48.78 part number - 41080WJ125

Disc Pad Set
{Includes 4 pads} = $70.58 part number - AB0600T001

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
The set (4 pads - 2 sets) and the kit's for same was 104.56
Labor 160.00
Georgia tax 4.18
Cobb county tax 2.09
Total 270.82

So pads and kit total was a good price based on dealtimeman who was quoted 119.36 quote from dealership all togeather.
cool...160 labor ... Gladly!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom