Bring reliable performance to every cleaning job!

Mikey P

Administrator
The new Sapphire 460ss! Key features of the new 460: The heart of this high-performance truckmount is the 38 HP Kohler engine, backed by a 3-year Kohler warranty. Tube and shell oil cooler reduces engine oil temperature by 20%, increasing engine life and pre-heating incoming water. Innovative frame and muffler design improves serviceability. Patent-pending air ...
The post Bring reliable performance to every cleaning job! appeared first on .

More...

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I bought the 870 this year and have really liked it. I liked the specs on the new 460, 38 hp Kohler, 408 blower and 1500psi heated.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I had some servicing done on my 25HP Kohler in Sept. Used a laser thermometer on the oil filter, read 200F. I got the idea of using a HX on the oil to cool it and preheat water. Someone asked if the 25 has a strong enough oil pump to push the extra oil. Anyone know?
Makes sense, won't over heat the water like blower/exhaust HX will, no need for a diverter.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I had some servicing done on my 25HP Kohler in Sept. Used a laser thermometer on the oil filter, read 200F. I got the idea of using a HX on the oil to cool it and preheat water. Someone asked if the 25 has a strong enough oil pump to push the extra oil. Anyone know?
Makes sense, won't over heat the water like blower/exhaust HX will, no need for a diverter.

In my opinion oil needs to be hot where its thin enough to do it's job and lubricate. Don't you think putting the oil cooler into an HX type application would cool the oil too much and lose the effectiveness in lubricating the cylinder walls?

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
needs to be thin enough, but also thick enough. What's the operating temp thats optimum for oil?
I would imagine too hot and it breaks down faster. Too cool, and its like you said, it isn't getting where it needs to get.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
needs to be thin enough, but also thick enough. What's the operating temp thats optimum for oil?
I would imagine too hot and it breaks down faster. Too cool, and its like you said, it isn't getting where it needs to get.

I know the motor oil needs to be kept at a certain temperature and not over heated. And I'm pretty sure that's why engine manufacturers put the oil cooler on them. And they usually put just the right size cooler to perform. If we are going to further cool down that oil, to gain a bit of lukewarm water, it will most certainly be running too cold for optimum engine performance.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

It needs to be warm enough to flow and to evaporate moisture and unburned fuel. They do make thermostats that divert some of the oil away from the cooler to maintain a constant oil temp:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-501erl/overview/

Back
Top Bottom