Broken Key

Name
Lee Stockwell
Broke the start key off flush in the Prochem 405 this morning. Usually never ever take it out. arghh!

Why did they think we needed a KEY to operate a TM? I have spare machines and parts, but I'm going to sit in the warm house and drink coffee while the brain-trust here helps out.

If I can pull the remaining part of the key out with a pick or tweezers I will.

Wonder if keys are the same for most 405s?

Big job at 4pm.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Then I'm good. Still going to make some new keys, as long as I can get the nubbin out....without doing more damage.

May swing by the lockshop because I'm sure they do it more often. (If my attempt takes more than 5 minutes)

Still hate the idea of a key sticking out begging to be lost stolen or broken.

Stupidity disclosure: I added a big quilt over the machine last nite (7 deg F.) to help the ceramic heaters. Probably tugged it a little.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Spray a little lube in the keyhole, then use a tiny crochet hook or something like a coping saw blade to slide in along the key channel, give it a slight twist to wedge itself against the key and slowly pull back.
I own a laundromat with about 50 service locks on the machines and my son is quite aggressive with keys so lots of practice removing broken keys.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Stupidity disclosure: I added a big quilt over the machine last nite (7 deg F.) to help the ceramic heaters. Probably tugged it a little.
I wondered how it broke. We've had one go bad with (8) units over the last 10-15 years but never broke one.

Name
Jesse
I've had situations where sharp picks just wouldn't get any grip to pull it out. Drilling hole on an angle into the key with the smallest available bit has't failed me yet.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Why did they think we needed a KEY to operate a TM?
You know the answer - at about ten bucks each, it's about the cheapest engine start switch you can get and everyone knows how to work one. Also, really easy to hot-wire or replace if you give up on getting the broken chunk of key out.

For those of us that have PTOs the key switch is even sillier, since we're not activating a starter with it. And yes, we've had people steal them, so now I think I should replace them all with on/off switches as a winter project.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yep! Screwed around with tweezers and Youtube for a few minutes...then thought "why am I doing this?" Drove down to the lockshop and the old fella had it out in a few seconds. He cut me two new keys, charged $5. total.

Gave him $20, recalling he got my granddaughter out of a locked car and wouldn't take a penny. I feel I still owe him.

Reactions: -JB- and SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom