browning on white wool area rug

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
cleaned a white wool in house, cleaned great. Hung it over the shower stall doors and as it dried, the water left on the fibres travelled down and it got some browning on the bottom edges
What's the best way to remove this?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would try some liquid peroxide probably the weak kind you get at a drug store.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Also depends on what is the cause of the browning. Soil traveling down, or is it dye from the cotton foundation or is it jute?

Sometime wetting it again and laying it upside down (face side down) will cause the brown to wick back so that it is not visible.
Sometime an acid rinse (spray and dwell) will do it.
Reducers will also work.
Since it is wool, peroxide will be my last resort and weak as jimmy said.

Lets see what the rug gurus say.

Name
Brad Gouveia
Sounds like it brown out because like you said the water ran down to the edges.

Real clean it (only browned out areas) with as little water as possible and do extra vac passes. Dry it outside. If dried outside the first time it would or probable been fine.

Should be fine... It happens... 10x more likely to happen when it is white.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I told use a Haitian cotton cleaner whip into foam. Apply with a sponge or horsehair brish

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the owner called me today about another cleaning job. Told me not to worry about the wool rug as he fixed it, took H2O2- 3%, with some vinegar and hotwater. Used a shop vac to dry it. Said it came out great. I never got a chance to fix it.

Thanks for all the input. I'll file that away for the next time I will be trying to avoid :hopeless::icon_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom