Browning

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I have this plague job.customer says it keeps.coming back.recleaned it last week just detergent.no pretreatment...and its back..need some adviceim going back.friday.im gonna apply brown out to it
na6a2uve.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I'd hit it with an encap and cotton pad, throw some fans on it, preferably an airpath. If you don't think that will be acceptable to the customer rinse on the acid side, and speed dry.

For chits and grins take a moisture probe with you and see if you get any readings.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Was there a water stain there originally? Do you have Hydrox or Peroxcellent? Since its clean, we would spray one of those products down and pad it. This was you're getting the benefit of the peroxide and using little moisture. If you don't have either, use your browing treatment and a pad. I prefer the encap products but used Yellow RX for years and it worked fine.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Why do you think it's cellulosic browning ??

I didn't know you still had jute backed carpets over there??

:yoda:

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I believe this carpet is a bit older..cant win with this garbage...im gonna fill a pump sprayer with Brown Out and spray it down..

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Half of me wonders if its not a previous spill coming back up

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That happens, especially when heavy soil masks the actual stain. You clean it, it looks great and as it dries the stain appears.

The brown out treatment should work. But by using a bonnet you're not adding moisture that would work against you.

Use just enough moisture to do the job.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Separate the pile and see if there is a bunch of dirt hiding. Its probably wicking instead of browing. I dont believe an acid rinse does squat unless you have a jute backed carpet. a7-8 ph rinse will flush better leaving less dirt. proper wand technique with dry stroke will solve it. Also Berber wants to hold dirt , use a rotary If you have one. You can mist and bonnet but that doesn't really solve the customers problem.

Gene

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I agree that this looks more like wicking than cellulosic browning. I suggest using an encap product with hydrogen peroxide. In the Bridgepoint line that would be Encapuclean O2. http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CC17GL

Use microfiber bonnet on a 175 RPM buffer or an OP machine or Brush Pro if you have one.

I don't disagree with Gene that removing the soil is the ideal solution, but that is not always the practical solution.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Well you have to worry when all the heavy hitters have chimed in and you have another idea as yet unmentioned.

It looks like soil wick back, have you considered water clawing it with a hot peroxide treatment? You'll get it out properly and it then can't ever bother you again. You will be a hero.

Not as quick and painless as encapping it, but if it is soil, you'll get it and that breaks the cycle.

Grant

Name
Marcus
It may be olefin burber.....dry..dry ...dry....

clean with olefin cleaner light mist...acid fiber rinse....dry with a fan. Within. 30. Dry time

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Hi Harry, good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the clarification.

Glen, have you lifted a corner to determine the backing ??

You should then have a much better understanding of what the problem may be, either wicking, possibly pulling up deep down soil as it dries.

Or cellulosic browning from the jute backing.

It may even be (as you said), an acid dye stain from a previous spill.

Let us know how you get on & what you did as well as what you used.

:yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Who's problem does the homeowner see it as? Hers or yours?

If they take ownership and understand 1-cleaning can't remove 20-years of soil then sure I'd do what ever it takes but not at regular rates. I'd want to be compensated for the extra time involved in correcting "her" problem. Restorative cleaning vs standard cleaning.

If she's blaming me I'm going to educate her about the situation and give her the option of improving the appearance or correcting it forever. Its her problem, her decision.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Its awful difficult to tell from this photo, but as Shorty alluded to, be sure what you are dealing with. If its a woven wool berber, and your using a detergent rinse and hitting it hard, you may very well be browning it out, but the best solution would be an acid rinse with fans to get it dry fast, not throwing down additional chemistry. The foundation of most woven products is still Jute or cellulosic fiber. Heck there are still woven olefin berbers that have a cellulosic foundation. But check the construction and fiber and go from there. If its synthetic, tufted, and full of dirt still then try some of the encap solutions or you can attempt to empty the tank with the water claw methods mentioned.

steve_64

i had a job where the guy was peeling apples and letting the peels fall to the floor in a pile. this went on for years. i can only imagine what the concrete looks like under the floor.

i cleaned it three or four times before, flushing, encapping using brown out but it kept wicking back. once i put the solvent protector on it, it stopped wicking back.

i have done this on several jobs with recurring spot problems and it works wonders. i just got some of Cobbs to try.

Reactions: Shorty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom