Brush Pro 20 handle problem?

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Dear Abby:

The screw that holds the handle of our Brush Pro to its base stripped out 3 weeks ago. As a fix we had to drill the screw out (making the whole bigger). We then installed a larger screw with a spacer to tighten up the socket. Today it came out again. I reinserted another spacer to fill the void but I can tell its still gonna loosen up?

Has anybody else had this problem and how did you fix?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Dear Abby:

The screw that holds the handle of our Brush Pro to its base stripped out 3 weeks ago. As a fix we had to drill the screw out (making the whole bigger). We then installed a larger screw with a spacer to tighten up the socket. Today it came out again. I reinserted another spacer to fill the void but I can tell its still gonna loosen up?

Has anybody else had this problem and how did you fix?

Dear loose connection.....

trying to understand and pin point your problem is difficult the way you were describing it...
although I strive to give the most accurate information I can I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are referring to the handle grip itself...
If this is what you are referring to then I would drill all the way threw it and use a bolt and cap screw or neoprene nut to bring the to together...

sincerely,
a bit confused.........

Reactions: Dan and Desk Jockey

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Here's some photo's of this connection:
20141106_163534.jpg

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
If it's solid then helicoil it back together. I haven't taken mine a part to look

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it does not appear to be a bolt that needs to be removed ....did you re tap it when you drilled it out......

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
sorry Jim I've been trying to upload other photos but it is so slow. The picture you see here is the original screw and that side is good. On the other side the screw head broke off flushso we used a back out to try and move remove it all and it snapped offso then we were left with drilling it out which made the hole bigger then we made new threads for the new screw. The challenge is that the metal is a pot metal and it is very soft so the threads just keep ripping. It did hold for a while but eventually did not hold. So the other day we put a metal spacer for the screw to tighten into but it too eventually pulled out. I thought about redoing it and apply some type of super adhesive to hold everything in there. Its a very bad design (weak point) for a machine that works great.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sorry Jim I've been trying to upload other photos but it is so slow. The picture you see here is the original screw and that side is good. On the other side the screw head broke off flushso we used a back out to try and move remove it all and it snapped offso then we were left with drilling it out which made the hole bigger then we made new threads for the new screw. The challenge is that the metal is a pot metal and it is very soft so the threads just keep ripping. It did hold for a while but eventually did not hold. So the other day we put a metal spacer for the screw to tighten into but it too eventually pulled out. I thought about redoing it and apply some type of super adhesive to hold everything in there. Its a very bad design (weak point) for a machine that works great.

I figured it was a pot metal that's why I was asking if it had to be removed at all....If not...then if there is enough area do as mentioned above and insert a helicoil into it...but because it is a light weight pot metal you will have to use something like a JB weld to help glue the helicoil in because it will start to work itself out if you don't......

If there is no room for a helicoil.then use the same trick with the bolt...just rub JB weld onto the threads and tighten it down and let it set over night....
with this type of metal this is the best chance you are going to have...

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
What is a heli coil? Never heard of it. Something to get at the hardware store right?

most hardware stores have them....its a thread repair kit....they are designed for softer metals...they work great...but it is smart to use something like JB weld to keep them from working out like the bolt did...don't over fill the hole with JB weld..just a little bit will do it....

they come in all different sizes.......

51rQLF5Lz2L_SL500_AA300__zps1b0f2c59.jpg

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Okay I got it now Jim. I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone knows of anything else please let me know.

Ron K

WHen you drill the hole out make sure it in the proper position, lined up exactly as the original hole, at the same angle. Use the Correct size drill for the Heli-Coil and use tapping oil or at least some lubricant and go slow when you tap for the helicoil and when you put the helicoil in I believe they are opposite CCW when tapping and installing.

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Thanks everyone for your input. We retapped and added the helicoil with JB weld. It appears to be locked in tight. We will try the brushpro tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom