Butler 2.5 live hose reel set up options

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
And this is my first Youtube video....

Just wanted to show people who have been asking how we set up our live reels (since we don't use a live reel stock).

Posted this also on my Facebook accounts in case the link doesn't work properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg6LkkmYwsM

https://www.facebook.com/Saigers

Will try to post some stand alone pics of this set up too.

And Marty...here is that video I told you I would eventually get to. Hope it makes some sense now.

Mark Saiger

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
P5290020.jpg

P5290019.jpg

P5290018.jpg

P5290017.jpg

P5290016.jpg

P5290014.jpg

P5290013.jpg

P5290012.jpg

P5290011.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

2008GMCVanandButler007.jpg

2008GMCVanandButler012.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Looks good..

Where did u get those hooks holding your tools? Those are sick!!

Home Depot...they were part of the Rubbermaid track hanging system. Just had to add a bit of support you will see with a small homemade "L" bracket out of diamond plate to help support the top ones. The are working slick for us right now.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Do I see a spotter salesman kit .. how does that go for ya (assuming that is what I see)

Do you like your 4jet tile tool better than a SX12

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It makes sense, now that I see it. Personally, I'd get tired of coiling up that 2 inch by hand on every job.

I set up one of my friends with less hose on the reel and he had his 50 foot section of 2 inch attached to the 2.5 inch and reeled off either one 25 foot section (so now he has 50 feet 2 inch and 25 feet of 2.5) or if he needed 100 feet, he just kept pulling more 2.5 in the 25 foot sections.

Just gave him more options. For us, I like to have as mush 2.5 on the truck and available to me for maximum air flow.

Hopefully the video can give some ideas for using the "Live reel" option and make a faster set up for each individual.

:)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Do I see a spotter salesman kit .. how does that go for ya (assuming that is what I see)

Do you like your 4jet tile tool better than a SX12

Yes it is a spotting salesman kit....but I don't ever use the kit, but I do sell a lot of the product. Don't even need the kit much since my clients have come to know I have the product and ask for it.

I do use Turboforce spinners for tile and grout, but the hard surface wand is for other general hard surface cleaning and edging out jobs where the spinner cannot get. I have a couple that I got from Steambrite. http://www.***************/clean-st...nless-valve-brush-internal-spray-p-10541.html
http://www.***************/samco-hard-surface-wand-p-4684.html

Actually got the storm version last time I think and like it better than the Samco....they both do the job though.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I had someone contact me that there didn't seem to be much suction in the video and that the Butlers sure a quiet.....Just so you know, the Butler was in idle when turned on so you could hear me easier.

I will try and do a video while on one of or jobs today to see and here more examples.

Thanks for looking and feel free to contact with other questions.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
In the case where your pulling off all the 2.5" to use, why not just connect to the by-pass instead of the live reel? That 2.5" swivel is a restriction anyway. Why not forget the wye and just bypass the live reel altogether?

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
In the case where your pulling off all the 2.5" to use, why not just connect to the by-pass instead of the live reel? That 2.5" swivel is a restriction anyway. Why not forget the wye and just bypass the love reel altogether?

This reel is a true 2.5 inch and it is there...so we figured lets try and use it. Not enough restriction that we have found and removing it off the reel is just one more step to hook up. It is also more difficult to get that last section of 2.5 off the reel. We just found this was an easier way to use the feature of the live reel with the Butler and just keep trying to find ways to up our production rate and keep good air flow and cleaning quality.

I got tired of pulling and rigging and bypass this and that and came up with this for us to be quicker.

Just what we have found that works for us....and still get good cfm.

Mark Saiger

hogjowl

Idiot™
I like to see innovation. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

Don't let the inevitable "you should have done it this way" posts make you regret posting the video.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If I may make a easier suggestion.....it may work for you...it may not....

get something like this....(or even a piece of 2.5 inch hose that runs from your waste tank and down to the front of the vacuum reel would work also)...

PB270984_zps2bd52a16.jpg

put a 2.5 to 2 inch reducer on your hose and just hook it in...

PB270982_zpsbdca6984.jpg

and if you need any of the 2.5 hose just hook the reducer to the 2.5....

PB270985_zps5ee20688.jpg

and then just hook the 2.5 to a type of connection...or the 2.5 hose whip....

PB270986_zps4627c4e4.jpg

you might find it a bit easier to set up....no more plugs to mess around with and a lot less restrictive...with out the "Y" or the elbow.......

F

FB7777

Thanks for the ideas and videos. Mark

If I decide to go with butler on my next TM , I have some thoughts on how. I would like it arranged in back

Thinking about ditching their shelves , moving the filter box to the rear right and leaving the entire middle and left side open for tools chemicals fans etc

Reactions: hogjowl

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Thanks for the ideas and videos. Mark

If I decide to go with butler on my next TM , I have some thoughts on how. I would like it arranged in back

Thinking about ditching their shelves , moving the filter box to the rear right and leaving the entire middle and left side open for tools chemicals fans etc

There are a lot of options a person can do. Butler will do things for you if you ask. I have found them to try their best to help. From their, I just personalize the units to how we like them too.

Mark Saiger

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Pretty well thought out setup. I use an electric reel, and the first 100 feet is 2", the second 100 is 2.5, and then another 100 of 2". Would never be without an electric vac hose reel. I still hand roll the solution hose, since you gotta stretch it out anyways.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Mark,
Do you use Butler products for your rinse on carpets and upholstery?
Also, what do you think of their wands?
How much sooner do you think the carpets dry with your 2.5 to 2 setup vs butler's standard 2 with a 1.5 whip?
Thanks!

Reactions: hogjowl

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark,
Do you use Butler products for your rinse on carpets and upholstery?
Also, what do you think of their wands?
How much sooner do you think the carpets dry with your 2.5 to 2 setup vs butler's standard 2 with a 1.5 whip?
Thanks!

We use some Butler products yet and some Harvard products, and....well lets just say we have a lot of different combinations. If you send me your email in a PM I will send you out some combo formulas we use that work well around our area and soil types. Also, you can go to my website and send me an email from our "contact us" button at the top right. www.saigers.com

For the wands....I like the Butler system and its durability and longevity of the Butler system, but I am not a fan of their wands or the 1.5 inch whip (sorry Butler). We use the Prochem Titanium 6 jet wands with .02 jets and hybrid greenglides. Then of course we use 2 inch hose from the 2.5 to the wand. With this size jet, we are still keeping great heat (even in our cold weather times) and we are getting better rinsing and flushing out of the carpets....and quicker too.

Dry times with this combination can vary of course depending on environment and outside, but we just checked one that was a thick polyester in one area and then downstairs a thick nylon and they were dang close to completely dry with using a hydrosenser II except in just a couple areas. The homeowners actually had the humidity set very high in the home (like 60%....yes I did say 60%) because her husband was more comfortable in that environment. So to have things that dry in that environment was encouraging. We also encouraged them to consider dropping the humidity level in the home for the homes health. :)

Now with the 2.5 inch hose, we did find that it did require a bit more effort to clean with because it did produce more suction...we thought we were in pretty good "Cleaning shape" then when we started using 2.5 inch hose, we discovered another muscle group....again. We were at that time just running straight 2 inch hose. I really have never run the 1.5 inch whip and Butler wand much, but I do prefer the set up we have now.

Just let me know if you have any other questions. Always love to try and help out.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Reactions: Wing It

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Mark, you run a very respectable operation. Love the tarps and protective gear. Love the pre scrub and high flow cleaning. I just gotta wonder is taking 2 vans to a main level rancher a little bit of over kill? Seem to me that all those hoses might get all tangled up and in each others way. On most residential jobs 2 solid workers in the know how can knock out most any residential job quick with great results. What is gained from running 2 trucks on most jobs?( If my memory serves me right you do run 2 trucks on most jobs I think)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark, you run a very respectable operation. Love the tarps and protective gear. Love the pre scrub and high flow cleaning. I just gotta wonder is taking 2 vans to a main level rancher a little bit of over kill? Seem to me that all those hoses might get all tangled up and in each others way. On most residential jobs 2 solid workers in the know how can knock out most any residential job quick with great results. What is gained from running 2 trucks on most jobs?( If my memory serves me right you do run 2 trucks on most jobs I think)

Hey Jon,

It's kind of a long story, but will try my best to shorten it. Was single guy, met my wife with 3 girls. Was a band director at this time (had got out of carpet cleaning a bit), needed extra money to make ends meet. Decided to get back into the carpet clean biz again. Was just gonna keep it small and be a "lone wolf". People found out I was back in business and it started to get busy. Had a van break down once (new parts on the van went out a week later) and I was 40 miles away in the woods, couldn't finish job until next day. (mind you I was teaching full time and working evenings) At that point, bought second van and Butler so would always be ready. Found the second van a help on some large jobs as the wife and girls would come out and help.

Fast forward and our middle daughter is now a "Beauty school drop out" and needs a job. She can also be a handful and was not good at keeping a job....so my wife says "I need help at least tabbing, raking, pulling hoses...." We started to get SO MANY job demands in a day and SO MANY large jobs, we started bringing both vans and our daughter(s) could run them. Our youngest daughter also would help. They are about 90 pounds each soaking wet, and could move couches, run the Butlers even with 2.5 inch hose, greenhorn wands....you name it, there was nothing stopping them! And the clients loved them! Again, I was just going to be the main cleaner, so my clients were used to having me on site.

Fast forward another 2 years....the girls are now tired of working for me, so they bring home boys. No matter what, my clients were really used to having me on site. "I was the only one who could clean that well". You probably know the routine. So, I have been showing up on most job site, but also sending the boys out to people who really know them and trust them. A little at a time I can start to back off, but a lot of these past clients really want to see me just to "Shoot the Time with BS and me". We found that was still an important part of our business. I am slowly introducing my clients to my Son in Law and youngest daughters boyfriend. It is just taking time....and since they look like they are 16 years old, it just takes time for the client base to really see they are darn good cleaners!

While doing this routine, we also discovered that 2 vans and 3 of us was making cleaning fun! (and easier).

We do run 2 vans on a lot of jobs. The job you are referring to was 800 square feet and with 2 people and one van would have probably taken about 2.5 to 3 hours. It actually with the 3 of us and the 2 vans, it took 47 minutes to do prevac, sticky tab, prespray, groom, wipe up, wrap up and call the next client. With 1 van and 2 people, the job would have probably taken at least 2 hours. There is just something about having a 3rd person on site that knows the routine, that can reduce a lot of time. If the third person is good at keeping their pockets warm in their hands, it is a waste of time. We also found that with 3 people, It is just physically easier on all of us. Seems we can pace ourselves better during the daily rush.

You can't travel 3 people in one Butler van, so another vehicle was necessary at the beginning to bring the new young kid on board (youngest daughters boyfriend needed a job). Well after 3 years, we found we could actually do more jobs, make people happy by being in and out quicker, and offer the full service they wanted, and they can get on with their day. We also found we would show up and people would ask IF WE COULD ADD MORE WORK. It always seemed to happen and throw off our day and schedule...and then tend to not be as positive moment with the next client on our list. We were also finding that even if the vans are split up, we tend to put on similar miles and similar gas expenses through out the day, so another reason we decided to try both vans on jobs. It has worked well for us.

This past Monday, we only had 6 pretty decent size residential jobs scheduled for the day, but for some odd reason, we had 7 other add on calls that needed attention right away that day, so we ended up splitting up most of the day. The boys went one way, and I went another and we just kept plugging away. Pretty rare I will not try to get to my clients with a justifiable emergency situation. We did have a couple of the "regular scheduled" jobs that we needed both vans on site to keep the schedule. That day was a $3200 day of carpet and upholstery cleaning for us with the restaurant job we had too. With each van we are averaging $200 per hour on site with them. Sometimes it is A LOT More.

As far as getting in each others way or getting tangled up, we really don't experience that because we just know what to do at this point. We communicate as to what is "coming in next" and what our "next procedure" is amongst ourselves. A lot of times, we really don't need to say anything....we just read each other. We also tend to keep bringing things back to the van as we are done with them to open up our areas. You will see in one of the videos, we will start wrapping up one van when we get to a point so that is done quicker and then help do the final wrap up on last van.

For us, this system has worked great and our clients love it. On some jobs, if they are small, one of us will tend to move on to the next job (typically me) and start meeting with the client and start prepping for the arrival of the second van when needed. It's not an exact science, but just a way we are doing things currently and might have to change up more in the future.

Sorry for the long post and I did not address everything, so if someone has a question because it does not make sense....or "this is just really dumb!"...because I did not address everything, I will sure try to answer something better.

Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey Mark,
Thanks for all the great videos and information!

What kind of a CRB is that? Do you recommend it?

Steve

10 inch Brush and Clean. Came with the white brushes and we did not switch out to anything else. Seems to do the job and not seeing tip blooming with the softer white brushes, so we kept them as is.

2011-10-05112845_zpsc0502510.jpg

We also like them on the steps and bullnose of steps. The machines have some weight to them and I went with the smaller units because my daughters were working for me at the time, and just were smaller for more room on the van.

2012-09-11132109_zps01f0e4fc.jpg

We also use them on hard surface scrubbing. We have had them over 3 years now and not one problem with them. They get used everyday.

2012-04-04100334_zps50bc6411.jpg

http://brushandclean.com/newsite/pages/en/carpcleanmach.html

http://brushandclean.com/newsite/pages/en/machines.html

Mark Saiger

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Back
Top Bottom