Butler Blower RPM's cut in half on purpose?

Mike Draper

So I called Tuthill today and spoke with an engineer on the performance and some specifics on a tuthill 47 blower. Butler refers to this blower as the 5.8 :roll: Anyhow, on my butler gauge it says max rpm....going into red-line is about 1,800 rpm. This is where I run it. Here is what the engineer told me. CFM rating on the 47 is 550 CFM at 3,500 RPM's :shock: :shock: , yes, 3,500 RPM's, not 1,800. At 2000 RPM's I'm getting approximately 260 CFM performance ( this falls close inline with my testing). Someone told me the driveline, clutch system and PTO can only transfer 15 hp to the blower. so I asked the tuthill dude if this is possible. Answer: yes. To push the 47 blower to redline speeds on the butler ( 1,800rpm's) you need approximately 14 horsepower, 15 hp if you want 2000rpm's and 260 cfm. So I am guessing if the clutch on the PTO can only transfer 15 hp this is why they tell you 1,800 is redline. This way we dont burn up the clutch and such, and of course the life of the system will be longer. So in reality, to push the 47 blower to max rpm's you only need 20 brake horse power. engineer told me that running the blower at 80% is premium for longevity and performance.

TimP

That's exactly why I want to get a slide in like a Judson.....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mike;

The electric clutch is usually the weakest link in the shaft drive PTO's.

That is also why they do not run the lift @ 14" hg.

Larry

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
So if you are going to spend the extra money for the 47 blower you should always run it at mach II for cleaning carpets?
I have been running at mach II for all carpet cleaning with a 2 1/2" vacuum hose and 2" tube on the wand for a few years now with the 47 Butler blower. Plenty of suction and the carpets dry fast with the extra air flow at the greenglided wand carpet interface.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry Cobb said:
Mike;

Larry
Larry...we've already had TWO posters(CRASH and LARRY B) that claim to get 16Hg all day long....three if ya count me....
the since 1990 i've had exactly ZERO clutches go bad on my PTO's...whens the last time YOU ran one?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Before setting the relief valve to open around 16HG the clutch would start slipping between 18-19HG.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Mike Draper said:
So I called Tuthill today and spoke with an engineer on the performance and some specifics on a tuthill 47 blower. Butler refers to this blower as the 5.8 :roll: Anyhow, on my butler gauge it says max rpm....going into red-line is about 1,800 rpm. This is where I run it. Here is what the engineer told me. CFM rating on the 47 is 550 CFM at 3,500 RPM's :shock: :shock: , yes, 3,500 RPM's, not 1,800. At 2000 RPM's I'm getting approximately 260 CFM performance ( this falls close inline with my testing). Someone told me the driveline, clutch system and PTO can only transfer 15 hp to the blower. so I asked the tuthill dude if this is possible. Answer: yes. To push the 47 blower to redline speeds on the butler ( 1,800rpm's) you need approximately 14 horsepower, 15 hp if you want 2000rpm's and 260 cfm. So I am guessing if the clutch on the PTO can only transfer 15 hp this is why they tell you 1,800 is redline. This way we dont burn up the clutch and such, and of course the life of the system will be longer. So in reality, to push the 47 blower to max rpm's you only need 20 brake horse power. engineer told me that running the blower at 80% is premium for longevity and performance.

Red line on the butler gage is for engine RPMs not blower speed.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry B said:
Before setting the relief valve to open around 16HG the clutch would start slipping between 18-19HG.
Larry ...them was the BELTS you heard squeelin' NOT the clutch......you CAN NOT slip that clutch...
you ARE running the Pitts clutch ...right?

ptoclutch.jpg

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Sorry I haven't had time to post on this subject. We have been swamped with Carpet cleaning and Floods! But to clarify on the Butler Blower and RPM thing:

The RPM gauge is for the engine RPM not the blower RPM. The blower RPM is approximately twice the engine RPM. So at 1500 rpm the blower is spinning @ around 3,000 and @ 1750 its at 3500.

Just thought I should take a moment to clarify this information.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
bob vawter said:
[quote="Larry Cobb":1uxzzllz]Mike;

Larry
Larry...we've already had TWO posters(CRASH and LARRY B) that claim to get 16Hg all day long....three if ya count me....
the since 1990 i've had exactly ZERO clutches go bad on my PTO's...whens the last time YOU ran one?[/quote:1uxzzllz]

I've been running at 16" hg all my long days for the last 3 years w/o problems on my WM PTO adjusted up from the factory setting of 15" hg. The chicks dig it.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
My SG starts to squeal and bog down after a while if I run it higher than 15hg.

I would ask Bawb what to do about it but he would just heap abuse upon me.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
rhino1 said:

it's the belts slippin' Chris...that's all...prolly glazed!
I'm making up some belt tensioners that will help that problem....
no pics yet...but sometime this week.....if CRASH don pay for HIS...
it's going on the block!
OHH wait.here a pic
blowerandpump.jpg

Name
Danny Strickland
bob vawter said:
rhino1 said:

it's the belts slippin' Chris...that's all...prolly glazed!
I'm making up some belt tensioners that will help that problem....
no pics yet...but sometime this week.....if CRASH don pay for HIS...
it's going on the block!
OHH wait.here a pic
blowerandpump.jpg

you'd think a guy with a FREE Obammee house could afford a nicer work bench than two saw horses and some 3/4" plywood!!!! :shock:

:mrgreen:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry B said:
Whats your idea to stop the one on the engine from slipping when you get above 16hg?
the serpentine belt will NEVER slip if you have the right length belt..cuz it DOES have a tensioner on it as well...

an' DAnny....KMA..... my Obammer GArage was full

Back
Top Bottom