Butler owners: ever had a clutch go bad?

Name
Steve Lawrence
I'm hearing an odd scraping sound on my 2008 Butler when truck is idling. The sound seems to be coming from the PTO shaft but when the unit is engaged everything sounds normal--the shaft sounds fine with no noticeable vibration and the scraping sound is gone. This leads me and my mechanic to think that the shaft is fine and that the issue is bearings in the clutch going bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this or input you'd like to offer?

Thanks!
Steve

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep last month.

We bought a new clutch and put it in and still had the noise. Had to replace the bearings on the shaft and now we've been good every since.

Bawb told me it was probably both.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
F

FB7777

I'm not very mechanical but if the sound exists before the clutch is engaged then wouldn't it be the drive shaft ( bearing ) ?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We could hear the grinding at the clutch and not until we replaced it, was it noticeable that the bearings were also out.

The bearings start going first, and usually kill the clutch.
Tight tolerances.
That's what our distributor said when we told him we had replaced the clutch. He thought we were stoopid for replacing the clutch when it was the shaft.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Thanks, All. I would like to narrow it down to the problem, of course. I ordered the clutch hoping that will do it. We're using our very old and very reliable back-up Butler for a while until we get this sorted out. Over the years I've replace 2 drive shafts/clutch assemblies for my many Butlers but have never had just the clutch go out. Crossing my fingers that the clutch is the only issue. BTW, my previous 2 PTO shaft replacements were both under warranty. Thank you, Butler!!!!!!! However, this one is 6 years old and out of warranty. Cost of biz. No biggie. But I'd rather my guys were in a newer truck. Ol' Bessie is great and has no rust but kinda old.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I had the bearings going bad on the 2 pulleys I thought, replaced them and got better....

THAN....found the lower pulley on the Crankshaft was wore enough to also cause some other problems (new style belts they have were slipping and the old Gates were holding better)

Anyway....the noise all went away after replacing the lower pulley (of course after replacing the other pulley parts)

Just a heads up....look to see if there is a lot of paint wore off the lower crank pulley and bit of grooving....

Name
Steve Lawrence
That's cool, Richard. I wonder if someone around me could provide that service if needed. After all a new shaft is about $1200. Did they remove the shaft to replace the bearings?

Name
Steve Lawrence
ignore please

Yep last month.

We bought a new clutch and put it in and still had the noise. Had to replace the bearings on the shaft and now we've been good every since.

Bawb told me it was probably both.[/QUOTE
Shaft. My distributor and Bawb too. Told me the bearing went out in the shaft causing the clutch to go out. Two birds with one stone. :cry:

Last edited:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Never on my Butler but I do have a spare sitting on the shelf. Smoked a couple clutches on my Pro 1200 when it was new, the first time when the machine was brand new was at Yaser Fest..... Ohh, the good old days..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It was my local distributor. I'm not sure if he did it or sent it out. He was a heavy equipment mechanic orginally then vehicle maintenance supervisor for school district. He has a wide span of knowledge and tools. As well as 20- years working on TM's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom