Butlers response to SOA

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dear Richard:

We are pleased to hear that you are considering the purchase of a new Butler System.
The Butler Corporation has been committed to manufacturing a quality carpet and fabric cleaning system for more than 25 years. We certainly have no reservations regarding a Gold Seal of Approval after viewing the list of approved portable extraction machines and truckmounts (www.carpet-rug.org) that have passed the CRI (Carpet and Rug Institute) testing procedures. It would appear that all truckmounts should receive a Bronze, Silver or Gold approval.
However, at this time, our company and many of our cleaning and restoration industry associates have questions and concerns as to who or whom the CRI approval really benefits.
It is our opinion that the following are only a few of the questions and concerns that need to be addressed within the cleaning and restoration industry with clear definitive answers from the CRI.

• Will individuals and companies be forced to sell their machines at a considerably devalued price, if they are not CRI approved, and have to purchase a new CRI approved machine?

• Upon manufacturers receiving the CRI approval, will all their machines in use, prior to the approval, be automatically grandfathered?

• If not, will individuals and companies have the opportunity to test their machines at the CRI testing laboratory in Georgia, in order to be in compliance?

• And if so, how is the Georgia location feasible for our customers and companies that are located throughout the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, or international businesses and the US federal government around the world?

• Will the individual or company need to pay the initial $2,500.00 per machine testing fee, as well as, the $1,000.00 per machine yearly renewal fee that manufacturers are required to pay?

• Will there be additional charges to the $2,500.00 per machine testing fee and the $1,000.00 yearly renewal fee, if you were to use more than one size and/or type of floor wand, because it is our understanding that both will need to be tested?

• If you do not use the manufacturer's wand, wand glide, cleaning tool and hoses, or change the length of the hoses, etc. that was part of the CRI approval for the machine, how will that affect the machine's compliance?

• If you repair, replace or modify a vacuum blower, wand, hoses or any accessory or part to your CRI approved cleaning machine, will it need to be retested?

• If a machine is designed for more than a single wand, does the machine have to be tested with each of the possible wand combinations?

• And if so, at what cost?

• If a new machine has been CRI approved and is later sold, is the CRI approval transferable to the new owner?

• Will manufacturers and/or distributors be given the opportunity to individually test their newly manufactured machines or their customers used machines for compliance and to provide a seal of approval (SOA) if the machine is in compliance?

• Will a manufacturer be required to retest a machine based on for example: a component manufacturing change of equal performance or a larger vacuum/blower upgrade?

• Do all CRI approved machines and cleaning products tested at the CRI laboratory use the same water supply and water temperatures, and if so, what affect will the water and water temperatures in various regions of the country have on the machine's performance or the cleaning products effectiveness?

• We also question how the CRI can possibly monitor the performance of an approved machine after it has been in service? As a manufacturer it’s been our experience that every machine's performance relies on the operator's experience and the machine's performed maintenance.

• A machine that is CRI approved may be out of compliance in a very short period of time, due to poor maintenance (ie: dirty filters, worn and/or misaligned jets, etc), the use of improper cleaning procedures, tools, cleaning agents, spotting agents, water, water temperatures, water pressures, airflow, clogged filters, etc., etc.

• On the other hand, a 25-year-old machine can perform as well, or better, than a new machine based on how well the machine has been maintained and the care and experience of the operator.

• Who is ultimately liable for any claims if the cleaning technician uses a CRI approved machine, CRI approved cleaning products and is IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) certified or none of the preceding or any combination herein? Is it the CRI, the IICRC, the carpet manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, installer, homeowner, the manufacturer of the carpet cleaning machine, their distributor, the manufacturer of cleaning products, their distributor, the carpet cleaning company, the carpet cleaning company owner(s), the carpet cleaning company technician, his/her assistant or all or some of the above.

• It is our opinion that it would be more beneficial for the carpet and rug manufacturers and the cleaning and restoration industry, if more emphasis were placed on recommending stringent specifications for cleaning machines, machine maintenance and cleaning products, as well as, cleaning procedures and operator training.

The Butler Corporation has always considered CRI testing, but as time went on more questions and concerns became apparent and we are cautious to undertake something that may or may not be of benefit to our customers and our industry.

We welcome and value all suggestions, questions, comments and concerns on this controversial topic. You are welcome to share this information with other colleagues and professionals. We will be addressing this same topic on our website shortly.
Thank you for your interest in the Butler System. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Sincerely,

Paul Joao
The Butler Corporation

MerCrewser

I have read relatively little on this SOA garbage, but it seems to me that SOA will be DOA in no time. There is no way my customers are going to switch to a franchise because of some goofy sticker or Cert, when they can get a certified, uniformed owner operator like me. There is no way I would thumb my nose at a quality product and company like Butler because they don't want to play this "pay to play game". The whole thing is stupid.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Thanks for inquiring and the post, Richard.

I think you'll be thrilled with a new Butler. I hope to get one soon with hi heat and all the bells and whistles.

Screw SOA.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well said.

I need to call Jack and see if I can forward this text to a few folks I know.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I was going to send in my CRI SOA application, but after reading that f$%^ them. I will wait it out. My thought process was I have certified equipment and chemicals that the seal couldn't hurt for $25, but when I read that. NO WAY. I will wait it out

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
From someone that has as much chance as a snowball in hell of ever acquiring a Butler truck mount, I would like to thank the man for having the guts to speak the plain truth that one and all can easily understand.

I do appreciate that CRI are TRYING to get an acceptable standard for machinery, but I also feel they have blown it by certifying some extremely doubtful units.

I also believe that after all is said and done, it is really the operator on the end of the wand, (or whatever), that qualifies the job as to whether it is good or not-so-good.

Inexperienced operators would not have the experience, nor the intelligence, to tell one from the other, in my opinion.

An imbecile pushing the wand of a $50,000.00 truck mount, can stuff up a carpet many times over, than what a well trained, certified operator, that has to push a potty around, would ever do.

What is the point of CERTIFYING a piece of machinery, if the operator is is a piece of crap ??

And I guarantee, that myself, and many hundreds, ( if not thousands ) more, can do a better job, with our current machinery, that is UN-CERTIFIED, than some UNTRAINED wanker, on a CERTIFIED machine.

On yer Butler, I wish more manufacturers had the guts to speak up like you blokes.

Cheers,

Shorty.

Mikey P

Administrator
Sheesh, I know that Marty...

I know Taf really wants/ needs to provide a true ECO friendly product to us, I just wish he didn't cater to the SOA BS.

Trashed Green would have sold well regardless.

pufahl

I have read lots of threads on this issue. But, I think having a standard for all the equipment and cleaning agents (chemicals) and requiring all those involved in the textile cleaning industry to hold a license that requires training and passing a test is a step in the right direction.

Not sure if SOA is the answer at this point but it is a start.....

G

Several other manufacturers have taken the same stance as Butler. A couple more things to question:
1. Where does all that money go?
2. If a manufacturer makes a slight change on an "approved" unit, must they go through the entire process again.
3. I would direct more support into the carpet mills requiring that their carpets MUST be cleaned by an IICRC certified technician in order to maintain the warranty.
4. Who died and made CRI the king?
5. There does need to be standards but because your machine pulls 14.5" of lift and mine pulls 14" does that mean that mine doesn't perform? NOT!

Back
Top Bottom