Buying a 99 Vortex. Need to get Xentherm going.

A

amazingcleansc

Owner said when xentherm went out on truck they just bypassed it. Someone else told me that an electronic exhaust diverter can fix that problem. Judson told me he can cut that whole system out and convert it to propane, which was a very kind offer :eek: . Then he told me to post here and see if any of you guys could walk me through what I need to do to get it fixed :).

A

amazingcleansc

Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
Yup!

Been there done that...

what is going on? What did they bypass and why?

said when xentherm leaks out of system on trucks they just bypass the whole thing and use engine heat. Could be a number of things.

Chris A

Name
Chris
amazingcleansc said:
Yup!

Been there done that...

what is going on? What did they bypass and why?

said when xentherm leaks out of system on trucks they just bypass the whole thing and use engine heat. Could be a number of things.

Is it too late to pass on it? Or just too good a deal?

A

amazingcleansc

Chris Adkins said:
Is it too late to pass on it? Or just too good a deal?

My problem is that i have no clue about how a the heat exchanger works on a vortex and im trying to figure out whether or not its going to be a $5000 problem or a $1000 problem

Name
George Valliant
Sounds like the heat transfer fluid is leaking somewhere.

YOu need to figure out where the leak is...

Any idea's where?

Give me a buzz if you want. 505-804-2060

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
David,

I know you're going to think this is a strange suggestion, but why don't you call Vortex, since they made the truckmount.

Someone at Blueline can surely talk you through trouble shooting it.

Then you can decide to purchase it, or no.

I know that anytime one of my electric truckmounts is re-sold to another person, I offer to help that new person with any problems or questions they might have regarding their new purchase.

I will also sell them any parts that may be needed, at my cost.

Crazy huh?

A

amazingcleansc

Bob Savage said:
David,

I know you're going to think this is a strange suggestion, but why don't you call Vortex, since they made the truckmount.

Someone at Blueline can surely talk you through trouble shooting it.

Then you can decide to purchase it, or no.

I know that anytime one of my electric truckmounts is re-sold to another person, I offer to help that new person with any problems or questions they might have regarding their new purchase.

I will also sell them any parts that may be needed, at my cost.

Crazy huh?

Called them. Still I like to check with the boards to see if anyone has been down this road before and knows where the potholes are.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
You are looking at spending a whole lot of money. Get rid of the HX systems and put a diesel or propane burner in it. One of those HX will cost over $1500. The Xentherm oil is $300 plus. Etc, Etc. Do yourself a favor and bypass all of it. The propane or diesel burner will be much cheaper and give you more heat. Trust me on this. If you don't understand those things you can't imagine the money you may have to spend.

Adam

Name
George Valliant
i like the idea of a diesel burner :)

still trying to sell my thermalwave so i can gets that zerorez truck.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
i like the idea of a diesel burner :)

still trying to sell my thermalwave so i can gets that zerorez truck.
One fuel, that truck stinks of diesel waaaaa more than the burner will.

PS. Make sure you turn the idle up when you stop.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Burtz said:
1999 how many different manufacturers were there?

It don't matter how many or where they came from...I have yet to see one identical to another.......

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
How much $$$$ Give some pics. You will get an honest WALK, RUN or BUY? :|

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it might be that same 99 that looks like it is sitting out in a field or something.....could not tell you how many guys have called me and talked about that one.......

Name
George Valliant
Talked with the dude.

He had no clue what (or if) anything was wrong with the HX system. He hasn't put a deposit or taken possession of the unit yet.

99 Vortex with 200k miles and 5k hours for $8k.

The seller isn't the one who bypassed the HX so David is trying to contact the mechanic to find out why.

He's thinking about leaving it bypassed and just upgrading to 2.5 hose and a ken Harris wand.

whatever...

Informed him to post more info and Jim Martin is very experienced on Vortex.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":fnxm5rrd]When Adam Hale speaks up about the Vortex, I'd listen.

Sorry Shawn, it's a monster.

just got to know how to tame it.........[/quote:fnxm5rrd]

Learning how to tame it will cost you thousands.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
AdamHale said:
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":zn06xxr7]When Adam Hale speaks up about the Vortex, I'd listen.

Sorry Shawn, it's a monster.

just got to know how to tame it.........

Learning how to tame it will cost you thousands.[/quote:zn06xxr7]

only if you don't know what your doing ........or you allow it......

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Burtz said:
1999 how many different manufacturers were there?

99 was aerotech, that was the year venturi was going to take the world over. petersen came along in late 2000 maybe '01, the petersen machines were the ones that came in ONLY bering trucks, they are a much different machine than the others and are distinct in that the blower is mounted in the back and it has a huge hydraulic tank. if you encounter one RUN the other way quick, I think if you asked shawn and he was being honest even he would say the same thing. so if it came in a UD its either an aerotech or FMI, I have never seen an FMI vortex, from my understanding they are very similar to the aerotech built machines.

call and talk to vlad at aerotech, they built the machines and know them better than anyone else and that includes you know who. I am surprised to hear adam saying dump the zen hx and go kero, I think that is because he does not want to recommend calling aerotech, because if you want it to work, they are really your only hope.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Steve

I could give a flying crap if he calls AT.

They ARE the best to help this guy.

I am just telling him it will costs big money. An after burner is cheap with great heat.

Name
Nate W.
I'd do like how many others said to do. Put a kero/diesel burner in it and it's a done deal. You already have the diesel to run the truck. All you have to do is tap into the tank. Why run 2 different fuels if you don't need to?

Remove the exhaust diverter, the Xentherm system, and the exhaust heat exchanger and resell these components to someone who has a Vortex for spare parts. I don’t know what these parts would be worth. What do you guys think they would be worth to someone for spare parts?

Install a large capacity propane tank. There is plenty of room for one on a box truck. A 40 gallon tank will give you more than 40 hours trigger time under commercial conditions. The price of the tank will probably be about $1,000.

P1010884.jpg

I would leave the freshwater tank pre-heating system in tact but I would not leave it running at the 170 degrees as designed. I would install a lower temperature thermostat to limit its heating capacity to about 125 – 130. This will be a lot better for the life of the pressure pump. We also need to lower the temperature of the water entering the Little Giant heater so it doesn’t get too hot.

Then I would install a Little Giant #4 high pressure heater. The fuel consumption on this heater is .09 of one gallon of gas per hour under commercial carpet cleaning conditions and .05 under residential cleaning conditions. The cost of this heater is around $2,000.

P1010938.jpg

Then there will probably be some miscellaneous costs of about $400 - $500 for brass and hoses. So the total conversion cost should be between about $3,000 - $3500. Then sell the Vortex parts you removed. Like I said, I’m not sure what they would bring, but I would guess probably $1,000 or more. After selling the parts the modification of the unit will probably cost between $2,000 and $2500.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom